30-30 copper ammo

nchunter1989

Anyone shooting the Barnes 30-30 HP rounds? I’m switching my 336W from the Leverlution rounds to 150 or 170. In the past I already used 170gr Win silvertips/power points. But the Barnes round looks pretty good. This will be for 100yrds or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I looked at them at one point, but the 150r Win PP work so well and the accuracy is there, that I didn't want to change. I have been shooting the Winchester Power Points for over 30 years out of my .30-30 and have had zero issues.

Please explain.....

I shoot a lever 30-30 and I just shoot the basic remmington 150 or 170 grain core-lokt ammo.......not familiar with other options.....never had an issue, though I have only killed a couple of deer with it. most deer drop or don;t go real far.

It’s a lead free- solid copper round. I’m curious about penetration with the HP vs a standard cup&core round nose.

It’s a lead free- solid copper round. I’m curious about penetration with the HP vs a standard cup&core round nose.

I've no experience with Barnes bullets out of a 30-30, but my buddy loads them for a 6.8 SPC, and they penetrate well. I don't see much of an exit hole with them, but that's usually not a problem if you hit where you aim. I'm pretty fond of the high shoulder shot in my old age (so I don't have to drag them too far), and if my .280 would shoot them as well as it does some others, I'd load them. Sierra GK work for me, so that's what I load.

Back