2020 Eagle Soybeans

My beans are officially done. I replanted the field yesterday with a mixture of cowpeas, sunn hemp, sunflowers, millet, sorghum, and buckwheat. I won’t plant soybeans again unless I can put an electric fence around them.

My beans are officially done. I replanted the field yesterday with a mixture of cowpeas, sunn hemp, sunflowers, millet, sorghum, and buckwheat. I won’t plant soybeans again unless I can put an electric fence around them.
I don't have enough plot space to do soybeans. It forces a guy to rethink replenishing forages vs accumulating forages. In the spring and summer, I get more browse pressure in my clear cuts than I do my food plots.

I’m pretty much over summer plots. Constant weed pressure, drought, deer eat everything not fenced, it’s hot as hell on the tractor, etc etc.

I will always plant corn but I think from now on I’m going to just allow half the fields to stay all year in clovers (crimson, durana, arrowleaf) and chicory.

I’m pretty much over summer plots. Constant weed pressure, drought, deer eat everything not fenced, it’s hot as hell on the tractor, etc etc.

I will always plant corn but I think from now on I’m going to just allow half the fields to stay all year in clovers (crimson, durana, arrowleaf) and chicory.
You need an air conditioned cab and I/C cowpeas to outgrow your deer.

If someone is struggling with establishing beans I recommend seeding Titan forage beans at a very heavy rate, they really took off for me this year under heavy grazing pressure.
335c89be40bea2f6c20086c490c64fb3.jpg
Where are you getting those beans and are they RR beans ?

I’m shocked by how well this field is doing. I have no clue why the soybeans got wiped out but this mix is thriving. In my experience, deer prefer cowpeas and sunflowers just as much as soybeans, so it shouldn’t be a desirability thing. My theories:

1) germination wasn’t as good as I thought with the beans so the stand was easy to wipe out

2) the fence worked better the second time around (I tweaked it a little bit)

3) the deer have more food sources available now (the corn has reached maturity)

IMG_0875.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

They are Roundup ready. I get them from my local ag seed supplier. But the company has them for sale online. http://www.foragesoybeans.com/titan/titan-forage-soybeans/

MM, I’ll be ordering some of those ! I have at least one plot that got some pigweed seed introduced into it last year. I hand pulled them twice this year and once last year but my experience has been that you can’t get them all like that. Something RR is going in there next spring and the Titans look good.

Cut, that looks plenty good to me. How much acreage did you plant to that mix ?

This field is about 2.7 acres. I drilled another 4 acres worth into standing durana clover and chicory, but those acres flopped compared to this field.

What kind of fertilizer have you put on the past 12 months?

10-10-10 (200 lbs/acre) last fall before drilling in the LC grain/clover mix then another 150 lbs/acre of 10-10-10 in the very early spring when the grains where looking rough.

MM, I’ll be ordering some of those ! I have at least one plot that got some pigweed seed introduced into it last year. I hand pulled them twice this year and once last year but my experience has been that you can’t get them all like that. Something RR is going in there next spring and the Titans look good.
My Titan forage soybeans have totally hit it out of the park on this first year test against 3 othe varieties. They hide all but the ears of a full grown deer, fawns totally disappear, even from my vantage point partially looking down on the field.
I'll try to post some video next week.
I planted eagle several years ago and these have outgrown them, however, it's not a fair test because it's different years. Next year it'll be Titan and Eagle side by side for a real soybean shootout.

I had to spray my plot with clethodim the other day because what I thought was sorghum was actually sudangrass. It got to be 10 feet tall in another plot - if that happens in this one I won’t be able to see anything!

My e-fenced soybean plot turned out great. I took the fence down yesterday.

View attachment 19668

View attachment 19669

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter
Are you thinking about 2 weeks until your deer have it stripped to bare bones?

Are you thinking about 2 weeks until your deer have it stripped to bare bones?

There were 3 in it tonight. The edges are being nibbled on but nothing alarming like last year when the beans seemingly disappeared overnight.

My clethodim worked. The sudangrass was stopped in it’s tracks and I won’t have to worry about it.

Back