what is this

Nebraskaz71

This is popping up all over a creek bottom on a new property i'm going to be hunting. Looks almost like chestnut leaves but there are no chestnuts on this property or any larger trees that resembles this. Seems woodlike anyways.

I have thought recently that it might make a good tree for a stand or for screening purposes for our location. Tends to be a relatively fast growing tree, holds it leaves a bit later into the fall, and often if you cut it off it stump sprouts like crazy and turns into more of a shrub.

I have thought recently that it might make a good tree for a stand or for screening purposes for our location. Tends to be a relatively fast growing tree, holds it leaves a bit later into the fall, and often if you cut it off it stump sprouts like crazy and turns into more of a shrub.
Turkey, I went for a walk over the weekend. The grass is drying down, leaves are still on seedlings, and it's easy to see what's coming up but hasn't gotten taller than the grass yet. I have lots of 12 inch elm seedlings in spots that I want cover. I plan on leaving them for the quick stand that they will make. Exactly what you are talking about! Great minds...

I just put a stand up in an elm today, guess that makes sense since theres so many seedlings. Normally I hate elms but its all Ihad to work with lol

Good place to look for morels in spring too.
Funny you should bring that up. I grew up looking for Elms while morel hunting, now I look for Cottonwood, Sycamore, and broken Oak or Walnut. I haven't found a shroom under an Elm in many yrs.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

A sick or dying elm or where an elm has been sawed up is almost a guarantee to find morels in a woods here. My Dad used to girdle a few elms just to get shrooms growing, when the bark would start to slip the morels would be under it.

Ive hinged a lot of elms and its one of my favorites. The leaves hold late into the fall and the stumps resprout vigorously.

Back