What Broadhead(s) Are You Using?

Thank you sir. I definitely want an exit hole as well but I'm just uneasy moving to fixed blades just for a 2 week hunt and then back to expandables again. I like repeatable and consistent and hate tweaking my set-up. Don't mess with what's working, you know?

Good luck to everyone getting out this weekend. We're waiting a little later in the season to head out so we won't start hunting (CO) until Sept. 10.

You could pick up the smaller version (13/8"). Two years ago, I shared camp with Lee and Tiffany Lakowski. We spoke about his set up. As I recall, his specs were very close to yours. He claimed he usually got exits on elk with heavy arrows at good speed.

I've looked at the smaller blade, but it's only made in a 100g version so I'd have to drop 25g of brass or something up front if I decided to go that route. I think I'm just going to stick with my current set up right now. It's just 2+ weeks until the hunt. Too late for me to comfortably start messing with stuff now. Pretty double lung shot and hope for the best!! (assuming I get within a mile of an elk - I'm a noob and have no idea what I'm really doing.)

It looks like a good double lung and those elk deflate as fast or faster than a whitetail.

G

NAP Killzone. I've never tried the Rage. I bought the NAP because it came with a practice broadhead, I figured I would shoot it first and see how it flew. It hit just like a field point so we used it. I've never seen anything like it as far as a blood trail. And you can buy replacement blades for three heads for $18.00

Ended up buying some Rage hypodermics today. I have used slick tricks for years I would just like more blood. We shall see!

Ended up buying some Rage hypodermics today. I have used slick tricks for years I would just like more blood. We shall see!

I think you'll like them. I went from slick tricks to Schwackers. I liked them for the giant exit and all the blood, but wanted a larger entry. Went to the hypodermics and get huge entry/exit and lots of blood. I shot 6 last year with them, none got out of my sight.

Helix and Amazon just delivered some Exodus...tried one out tonight and sub 1" of field points (could also be me), hopefully in 10 days we'll see how they really perform.

Badger single bevel 2 blade - 125 grain with 50 grain brass insert in gold tip 400 spine arrows. Shot out of a Black Widow PTF V recurve at 48#. Think it was dogghr that turned me on to 2 blade single bevel.

Last edited:
I've been using G5 Stryker's in the 100 grain for ten years now with great results. This year I've made the switch to QAD Exodus's, and I'm glad I did. They shoot great out to 50 yards exactly like my field points.

Alright, since you asked, even though you can't see my smile I assure you it was ear to ear. My 7 yr old got this respectable 10 last night with the Xbow, will post a full story tomorrow hopefully but here is what the Exodus put down in quick fashion (if you look by the right cam you can see the intestines coming out of the quartering exit wound...nasty sized entry and exit for such a little BH)ej's buck down.jpg

I well know the "love em or hate em" legend of Rage. And until this year, I've used Rage successfully for at least 5 years.
This year I lost a doe, after my shot went wide right and gut shot her. I was ANGRY, and it was a 15 yard shot!
I shot some practice heads afterward, and they were dead on. I had one broadhead left in my quiver and shot it at the target, and missed completely at 20 yds.
I still can't explain it, though both the broadheads that I had this year were 3+ years old (although were never fired). I always checked them by hand to make sure they were clean and still worked and clipped to the O-ring properly, and they did.

I switched to the old muzzy's and haven't looked back. And here's why I don't think I'll ever shoot a mechanical again: I can't practice with the live broadheads. Even if the practice heads and regular heads shoot the same, you will never know if the broadhead opens the way it should until it is flying at a live deer. My confidence is just not there anymore. (and as a note, I never changed the blades on my rages. I always threw the heads out after taking a deer, and just hunted with a fresh head)

Conversely, with fixed blades, I don't like shooting my hunting heads at a target much and dulling blades, but I will ALWAYS shoot them at least once. Just to ensure they fly true and don't have a flaw. I suppose I miss Rage's huge entry/exit holes and big bloodtrails. But the confidence is an easy trade off

Back