What Broadhead(s) Are You Using?

Montec G-5's however I lost my first deer (120" class) last year with them. Complete pass through shot (maybe high quartering in shot). So may be researching a bit.......

Montec G-5's however I lost my first deer (120" class) last year with them. Complete pass through shot (maybe high quartering in shot). So may be researching a bit.......

Anytime a shot is high and exits high it's a very hard recovery due to lack of blood. I have piled deer up before with a double lung shot but the entrance was mid level and so was exit. The deer died within 40 yards but the chest cavity filled with blood. On one big doe I never found a drop of blood. Just her. Although a huge cutting surface might help some, it's most likely a result of shot angles in that case bud. It happens, to everyone.

Btw those are good heads. My cousin killed his first deer in years last year with those. She ran 30 yards tops.

Another 2 blade Rage guy. Been shooting the chisel tips for quite a while with awesome results.

I used them last year with my compound and was very happy with them. I have also lost a deer with a high shot like that. It is not the broadheads fault, just a bad place to hit. I have been shooting Simmons Tigersharks out of my longbow. I just bought some single bevel Grizzlies a few weeks ago.

Last year was first year for the Hypodermics. So far, so good. Killed 6 and don't think any made it out of sight.

I am a big fan of the 100grain 2"cut rage chisel tips. I have gotten a little better penetration with the chisels over the standard two blades. (Which I had great results with) Funny thing is, I know lots of guys that have lost deer and blame the rage head even though they admit the shot wasn't good! Just cause you shoot good heads doesn't mean you can just hit them anywhere and kill them. I remember the first mechanicals I've shot were Pucketts blood trailers aka punchcutters. Boy we have come a long way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot the rage 2 blade 100 grain as well, never had an issue, although I shoot a heavy arrow, they have killed deer and a bear. I did buy some montecs by g5 for a hog hunt that was canceled in June but rescheduled for Feb so we will see how that goes.

Muzzy, 100 grain, 3 blade. My thoughts.... if we hit a deer where we should, most any head is going to kill it quick. Its those marginal shots that slant me toward a fixed blade. If i hit bone, i bust through it with blades intact. Ive seen less than acceptable results in situations like that with expandables.

My shots are 30 yards or less. Perhaps if i shot longer distances i would be willing to accept the risk for better flight.

I was using alot of the NAP expandables(spitfire was my favorite), but switched to the Ramcat last year. Haven't had a chance to shoot a deer, but it wreaked havoc on a turkey. Impressed with accuracy, out of the box sharpness and how sharp it was after skipping across the ground when I shot that turkey. I have started to figure out that you get more penetration with a fixed blade than an expandable and I am gravitating back to them. Still carry an expandable in the quiver on all hunting trips.

I will be shooting the new SWAT A4 BROADHEAD. Here are some pics of the head and a pic of a wild hog. Blew thru a rib. Fractured two more and opened a massive hole. We hope to have some more pics and video of hogs after this weekend. Hoping to put one thru a SC buck in a couple of weeks. We are currently prototyping and testing another head also. The C4. Check them out http://swatbroadheads.com/

Attachments

• IMG_4318.JPG
    IMG_4318.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4531.JPG
    IMG_4531.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4781.JPG
    IMG_4781.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4529.JPG
    IMG_4529.JPG
    160.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4753.JPG
    IMG_4753.JPG
    118.7 KB · Views: 0
Cutthroat broadheads. Best head I've ever shot in 30 years of bow hunting. Abowyer for a close second...if only they made a single piece head.

Spitfire for me. I must say though that Markus' original silver flames are the single most impressive mechanism of death I have seen. Still have a couple but doubt they are ever hunted with again. 165 grains of cut you long, deep and often.

Spitfire for me. I must say though that Markus' original silver flames are the single most impressive mechanism of death I have seen. Still have a couple but doubt they are ever hunted with again. 165 grains of cut you long, deep and often.

Agree with you on silver flames. Still have 3--doubt I'll ever use at this point.

It seems like any almost modern broadhead on the market these days is gonna do the trick, the technology on those things has come so far in the past several years

Last edited:
Back