What Broadhead(s) Are You Using?

Stinger, which is two fixed blades. I had problems with penetration until I switched from Slick Trick to a standard broad head. Slick Trick penetrated my target about half way, while Stinger slipped through the target like it wasn't there, and I never saw the arrow again!

Many broadheads result in wounded deer when things go wrong, so I intend to get single beveled points that penetrate bone.
http://tuffhead.com/education/ashby.html

Zwickey and Woodsman out of the recurve and long bow. Thunderhead or Muzzy (100 or 125 gr.) out of the compound

How do you like the kill zone heads?

I've always shot fixed blades and decided to give these a try a couple of seasons ago. I've only shot whitetail with these and have had great results. They really open up deer for me. I haven't had as many pass throughs as fixed blades but the blood trails have been awesome.

I use Muzzy 4 blade 100 grain. They have worked well for me for a long time. However these newer mechanicals like the Rage etc are light years ahead of the mechanicals that first came out years ago. I may try them this year. I tried some of the first mechanicals and was disappointed. I went back to the Muzzys. I would bet that all of the broadheads out today are good products. The most important things that I have found out in my experience are, a super sharp broadhead and good shot placement will give you good results no matter what broadhead is at the end of your arrow.

Magnus Buzzcut 2-blade out of the stickbows and Rage Xtremes out of the PSE. I've piled the deer up with those Rage over the years. Love it when people tell me I shouldn't be shooting them because they suck. The Magnus Buzzcuts work great out of the compound too, dropped a big boar in FL that didn't make it 50 yards.

0DA9A70B-CF80-47DB-881D-C69318CD17ED.jpg

image.jpeg In the past, Muzzy, Striker, Wasp, but this year I'm going with Slick Trick Mags. I don't expect to be disappointed!

I've been using the G5 Strkers for the past 8 years, but have made the switch to QAD Exodus this year. They shoot great so far.

I shoot 125g heads, so I'm a little more limited in my options. That said I've really enjoyed the performance from my Rage 2 blade hypodermics so far. My back up blades are NAP Spitfire, and Muzzy MX-3. I almost always keep a muzzy in my quiver for coyotes, etc. (just because of price point) but if I have it on the string and a deer shows I have absolutely no hesitation about sending it downrange.

I shoot 125g heads, so I'm a little more limited in my options. That said I've really enjoyed the performance from my Rage 2 blade hypodermics so far. My back up blades are NAP Spitfire, and Muzzy MX-3. I almost always keep a muzzy in my quiver for coyotes, etc. (just because of price point) but if I have it on the string and a deer shows I have absolutely no hesitation about sending it downrange.

What's your bow setup for shooting 125Gr. broadheads? Just curious.

I've killed deer and hogs with Killzones. Love the blade sharpness and the ferules have proven tougher than I would have predicted. I have found that the longer ferule shifts point of impact out at 40yds or more. Would I have confidence on elk. Yes, but they wouldn't be my first choice. Exit wounds are essential on elk in my opinion, and I would sacrifice cutting diameter to increase the likelihood of a pass through (I feel the same way about Rage heads that are 2" or more. I know some guys use them successfully--I'd bet they're shooting heavier arrows at higher poundage than I do (I shoot 390g arrows in the 295fps range).

So, quick question for you because I've been giving this some thought as well in regards to elk. When you say you're shooting 390g arrows, do you mean full set-up, including your broadhead?

This will be my first season to chase elk and I'm planning on shooting my hypodermics because I trust them. Despite the advice of a lot of people I trust, which of course has be 2nd guessing myself. But I'm pushing 490g (complete) arrows at about 310fps. It's quite a bit of KE.

Just trying to get some unbiased take on the issue because between my friends and I at this point it's more about "being right" than it is accurate I'm afraid.

So, quick question for you because I've been giving this some thought as well in regards to elk. When you say you're shooting 390g arrows, do you mean full set-up, including your broadhead?

This will be my first season to chase elk and I'm planning on shooting my hypodermics because I trust them. Despite the advice of a lot of people I trust, which of course has be 2nd guessing myself. But I'm pushing 490g (complete) arrows at about 310fps. It's quite a bit of KE.

Just trying to get some unbiased take on the issue because between my friends and I at this point it's more about "being right" than it is accurate I'm afraid.

At that energy, you should be fine. Just pick your shot. While I have used mechanicals on elk, they are not my first choice--I would always trade an exit for cutting diameter. Fyi, my 390g arrow weight includes 100g broads (not a heavy set up).

Back