Warm Season Tall Grass Source / Suggestions

It frost seeded itself.One thing to keep in mind with all NWSG is that it can get so thick that young birds and most animals may quit using as they can't travel and can even die.This is the reason that sometimes light discing is recommended and another reason I like ares that are thinner weeds or shrub plots.I have drilled quite a few acres and frost seeded some and I really think frost seeded establishes quicker.I broadcast mine on as bare of soil that I can right before a snow.

Turning an entire property into a thick native grass stand would be as ridiculous as turning an entire property into a clover patch. Diverse habitat types at multiple successional stages is what wildlife needs, and animals will seek out the habitat they need to survive and prosper. The needs of a field mouse versus a whitetail deer may intersect at points but are really quite different.

I understood the OP to say he needed "...native grass to screen my view...." I would assume that means 365 days a year. Try accomplishing that during the winter in his location (Zone 4) without starting out with something that is thick, tall and rigid.

Best Wishes.

In Nebraska that is about all the cover we have to hunt. Always amazed at how many deer can hide in that stuff.

Like native said the entire reason I went the native grass rout is because of the winter cover it provides vs the natural weeds I had. I had to leave a deer over night this past year because I couldn't find it in the fading light because it ran into my switch. I found it the next morning but nearly had to step on it in the process.

I am planting Ed Spins Cover and Forbs mix , deerattraction.com sells it.

It has cover and a mixture of legumes mixed in for browse. You plant with sorghum and buckwheat year one

I purchased my Cave-in-rock switchgrass from Osenbaughs prairie seed farms and frost seeded it last year. I was very happy with the germination the first year. I'm planting in a bottomland situation as a screen and bedding area for a nearby food plot.

The area I planted it in was dominated by Reed Canary grass which I sprayed at least 2xs prior to frost seeding. I followed with spot spraying last fall and this spring when SWG was dormant and I could see residual RCG. Visited plot this week and am very pleased with response. Thinking of adding another plot next spring. I picked Cave in Rock due to its ability to survive seasonal flooding. Time will tell.

You can plant that mix but if NWSG grows as it should you won't find any legumes in a couple years so do you really want to pay for the extramixsandhill plum 2015.jpg

The above pic is a sandhill plum patch that in a couple years will be where the deer bed in 30 acres of NWSG

My goal for this planting was primarily to screen my view of the tree tubes. This mix was marketed as holding up in the winter months.

Long term, I would like a source of native seed to slowly spread to compete with other problem weeds in the area. Our property is far from ideal as far as weeds go. We have lots of stinging nettles, greater burdock, beggar's ticks, stickseed, canada thistle, garlic mustard, and reed canary grass. Of this list, reed canary grass is probably the least offensive in that it at least provides bedding for deer, although it makes areas of our property virtually impassable. It's a wetter property, so burning is really not an option, and burning really wouldn't knock the weeds back anyways. The only choice is to try to herbicide the weeds and establish something to compete.

Here's a picture of the grass I put in this spring. Hit the area hard with gly two weeks before planting. Broadcast seed on a cool May morning, and we had light to moderate rain about an hour after. Had to hand seed the indian grass and big bluestem - I didn't have a seed drill and the spreader couldn't handle the fluffy seeds. Was able to put the switchgrass through the spreader.
Grass.jpg

For now I'm leaving the milkweed. I will hit the area with gly mid-late April next year to knock back weed competition and stimulate grass growth.

Back