Warm Season Tall Grass Source / Suggestions

almanac12

I just planted bare root seedlings in tree tubes that are somewhat visible in the back of my property. I (hopefully) will be happy if / when the seedlings emerge from the tubes (Tree Pro Miracle Tubes). I don't care to look at them from my back window. So I'm looking for a taller, fast growing native grass to screen my view of them.

Does anyone have advice for a cheaper warm season grass mix? I was thinking about Switchgrass, Big Bluestem, and/or Indiangrass. I have heard there are multiple varieties of each. I have read that Cave In Mounds is a popular variety of Switchgrass.

I'm in SE Wisconsin in zone 4.

Thanks!

Some folks may groan about this, but Real World's Bedding in a bag is a mix of switchgrass, big bluestem and Indianagrass. I didn't have much luck with their big blue and Indian, but I have been happy with their switchgrass. When I looked at the seed and cost the switch was the cheapest and I have had the most luck with it AND it is far more easily planted as you don't have to have a native grass drill to plant it. You might also consider MG as well.....it isn't native, but may be even better for your need depending on the height and application. There are some other threads around here with folks with more experience on that as well.

I have only used Real World Switch grass seeds (frost seeded them) and it established itself easily--took two years to screen. The MG makes a taller screen for deer hunting season but is a poor screen for this time of year. The switch is much more pleasant of a backdrop than the Miscanthus Giganteus to my eyes.

It sounds like good stuff. Do you just buy manufacturer direct?
I bought mine off their website. Not sure if they still do that or not, but that is where I would start. They should have a resource to see if you have a more local dealer to reduce shipping costs as well.

I'm not sure with native grass seed.....I bought mine in the spring and drilled mid summer. If your planning on keeping it say over winter I would suggest talking to them and see what they say. I sent Don a few e-mails before I purchased mine because I had never planted it before and was nervous. He may not respond right away, but he did respond. It think they also have a phone number as well.

Real World has really expanded their network of dealers this year, you might be able to find one close to you.

https://www.realworldwildlifeproducts.com/dealer-locator/

I like Cave-In-Rock switchgrass. Ernst Seed is not far from my farm and I can get it there for $8 per pound. I've never had anything shipped so I'm not sure what that would run. They're unbelievably friendly and helpful folks, doesn't cost anything to call or send an email.

http://www.ernstseed.com/product/switchgrass-cave-in-rock/

Switch is taller and stands better than most of the NWSG I have planted.I used cave in rock,kanlow, and blackwell switch.I will take a couple years to get tall unless in very good soil.Usually 8-10lbs per acre.If you are planting a ways off you might be surprised about how high you would need

Well, I ended hitting the planting area with gly on 5/6/17. Planted on 5/20/17. Light to moderate rain fell for 3 - 4 hours right after planting. We had lots of moderate rain for the next 7 - 10 days after. Still haven't seen any grass emerge. I emailed the Real World and was told to look again on 7/4. We'll see how it comes in.

Should mention that I planted a food plot (mostly a clover/chicory/brassica mix) adjacent to the planting area. The food plot is coming in strong and greening up nicely.

Well, I ended hitting the planting area with gly on 5/6/17. Planted on 5/20/17. Light to moderate rain fell for 3 - 4 hours right after planting. We had lots of moderate rain for the next 7 - 10 days after. Still haven't seen any grass emerge. I emailed the Real World and was told to look again on 7/4. We'll see how it comes in.
Unfortunately the warm season grasses are slow to show up in the seeding year. Lots and lots of patience. And when you think the seeding failed, wait some more. :)

This is a small stand of Cave in Rock Switchgrass I frost seeded 4 years ago. The only surface prep after seeding was a spring dose of Gly. The first year I saw nothing but weeds. The second year I noticed a few clumps of what I thought might be the switch growing in with the native forbs. Last year I wanted to hit it with Gly and simazine before it emerged but missed my window. But without a doubt the switch was beginning to show.
This year, just days before the switch emerged, I sprayed a Gly/Simazine mix over the roadbed where 4 years earlier I had thrown down some seed.
6 weeks later.......
S4510018.JPG

With better weed control this could have happened sooner. Guess I didn't really believe it would work. :rolleyes:

This is a small stand of Cave in Rock Switchgrass I frost seeded 4 years ago. The only surface prep after seeding was a spring dose of Gly. The first year I saw nothing but weeds. The second year I noticed a few clumps of what I thought might be the switch growing in with the native forbs. Last year I wanted to hit it with Gly and simazine before it emerged but missed my window. But without a doubt the switch was beginning to show.
This year, just days before the switch emerged, I sprayed a Gly/Simazine mix over the roadbed where 4 years earlier I had thrown down some seed.
6 weeks later.......

With better weed control this could have happened sooner. Guess I didn't really believe it would work. :rolleyes:
That looks awesome. What's your timing on the spring gly treatment?

That looks awesome. What's your timing on the spring gly treatment?
30 minutes before the switch emerges. :D
It varies. We were a little early this year. Seems like it was mid April.
Basically when spring growth thinks about ramping up, it's time.

Some folks may groan about this, but Real World's Bedding in a bag is a mix of switchgrass, big bluestem and Indianagrass. I didn't have much luck with their big blue and Indian, but I have been happy with their switchgrass. When I looked at the seed and cost the switch was the cheapest and I have had the most luck with it AND it is far more easily planted as you don't have to have a native grass drill to plant it. You might also consider MG as well.....it isn't native, but may be even better for your need depending on the height and application. There are some other threads around here with folks with more experience on that as well.

Just a question here, but how did natural prairies ever grow without a native grass drill???

Just a question here, but how did natural prairies ever grow without a native grass drill???
I actually broadcast some switch to see how it works that way as well. I agree you don't NEED a drill. But with the expense of the seed especially those other than switch - you want every advantage you can get and a drill does that for you in my opinion.

The area of the country and land type in which you establish NWSGs has a lot to do with what your greatest obstacles will be. The former land use also plays a factor. But the biggest factor is prepping the site.

I will also add that most people will not be willing to work hard enough to be successful with NWSGs long term. By success, I mean something that is really thick enough and tall enough to make a real screen. Also, the new wears off over time, and folks just give up.

What I have found is that my greatest obstacles were essentially absent for all of the literature I read. But the school of Hard Knocks has educated me over time.

Back