Tree/Shrub Selection

DougG

I have the possibility of getting some of the following free from an Earth day shrub and tree giveaway. Is there any that would be more beneficial/better than another, if I can get them, things may be picked over. I have a chance at up to 5 total possibly.
Serviceberry,
Hazelnut
Elderberry
Spicebush
White Flowering Dogwood

The property I would be planting on has none, with the the exception of maybe the WFD. The property is south east Ohio. I appreciate any feedback and reason why to pick the species.

I have the possibility of getting some of the following free from an Earth day shrub and tree giveaway. Is there any that would be more beneficial/better than another, if I can get them, things may be picked over. I have a chance at up to 5 total possibly.
Serviceberry,
Hazelnut
Elderberry
Spicebush
White Flowering Dogwood

The property I would be planting on has none, with the the exception of maybe the WFD. The property is south east Ohio. I appreciate any feedback and reason why to pick the species.
Elderberry because they make the best jelly and pie in the world.

Your two best choices are Elderberry and Hazelnut. Serviceberry produces a blueberry in the Spring that is eaten by birds and deer do not browse it. Flowering dogwood and Spice bush are of little use, though Spicebush is good cover.

I recommend Googling USDA for each plant, to see if it grows in your area and what it's "Characteristics" are.

Back