Thoughts on Burr oaks?

split toe

just saw a wildlife group video about bur oaks and I was wondering halls thought on planting these for deer?

I've read 25yrs... and I've read 8yrs. Since they are native I haven't a clue how old any of them are. I do have some that are no bigger around than my arm that produce.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Up where I'm at, my bur oak acorns are the tiniest things I've ever seen. Conversely, I'm blown away at how big those acorns get for some guys further south. Now grouse do love them. I had one take up shelter in a hinged down bush right next to my stand.

just saw a wildlife group video about bur oaks and I was wondering halls thought on planting these for deer?

I have over 200 burr oak acorns de-capped and resting in a refrigerator since last month. I'd be happy to send you some if you don't have a source for them. Mine have been float tested twice, caps on, then again with caps off.

My neighbor planted an old cornfield in bur oak for a timber investment - they grow fairly quickly as many are roughly 15 to 20 years old now, but from what I have seen are not producing acorns yet. Around here they will produce a large nut - the biggest are nearly golf ball size.

Bur Oak are my 2nd favorite after Swamp White Oak for the fact they can tolerate such a wide variety of soils and moisture levels. They are probably the most interesting and beautiful mature oak in my opinion.

My neighbor planted an old cornfield in bur oak for a timber investment - they grow fairly quickly as many are roughly 15 to 20 years old now, but from what I have seen are not producing acorns yet. Around here they will produce a large nut - the biggest are nearly golf ball size.
Indiana has 2or 3 yr old bur oaks at the Valllonia nursery. I am thinking of getting 100. Planting those root balls wont be fun. My white ash are dying and i need an understory oak to take off in a year or two.

Bur Oak are my 2nd favorite after Swamp White Oak for the fact they can tolerate such a wide variety of soils and moisture levels. They are probably the most interesting and beautiful mature oak in my opinion.
Agree. Love both of those trees and would put burs in a more marginal soil condition. I have noted that bur acorns get a lot of weevil damage.

file.php

http://ents-bbs.org/viewtopic.php?f=105&t=8119&sid=29145b5c94d93603790d0e4ee2d87a43

A honker of one.

Back