The Massey

If the wind will stay out of the east today, I'm gonna give the square bale blind a shot at the lower barn plot on the Massy this afternoon. I think I'll take the ghost blind and try to incorporate it a for a little more cover.

My timing once again was impeccable today. Got settled in the square bale blind and guess who shows up? Spray rig AND fertilizer rig. They got done in a hurry so I sat it out; the deer moved extra late though, so it was a long, uneventful sit.
BB376BB4-072C-4740-840D-D03AF0DDB506.jpeg
3D6F710D-64C1-4E67-B516-1E82F0BF49FF.jpeg

Just got caught up on your thread. Great looking farm and it’s nice to see your family enjoying hunting with you. I still can’t get my kids out there, but I won’t quit trying.

Seeing that flat land makes me jealous with the hike I have in store tomorrow.

Good luck with those bucks!

We had a funeral to go to this afternoon, so no stand time this evening. We decided to use the time in the kitchen and get those two does taken care of. Tenderloin while grinding isn’t half bad. I’m not a big fan of processing, we have done it for years and it’s a blessing to have the meat, but I don’t enjoy the process. The snacks from the skillet made it better though. ;)
19A2949A-DCD2-430D-978F-5C1F39E5E0D1.jpeg

Sat the lower barn food plot this evening and was very surprised to have such a slow evening. I’m guessing the moon wasn’t helping any. There has been a LOT of daylight activity on the plot lately. The plot looks great from the blind. Speaking of the makeshift blind, it just might work. I had a forky that came in late at 15 yards and he had no idea I was there. I don’t think it would have been too hard to get drawn on him.
82C51FE0-59A1-4E06-998E-48B30F0C25D8.jpeg

That plot looks great! I've hunted from haybale blinds quite a bit. They are cheap, easy, effective.
Decoying worked great about a week and a half ago. I shot one Thanksgiving morning (not over a decoy). Lots of movement the last week or so.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I finally had an epiphany, no more political social media for me; this place is SO much more refreshing and sane.
I’ve posted to the deer thread, but I’ll go ahead and throw it up here too for my own future recollections — I was the only one to get a buck shot this year in our little family of hunters. He wasn’t the one I was after, but I said I would fling an arrow at him if he came by the last week of bow season, and he did.
1A4BC8A2-FF7A-489E-8713-023AF389B120.jpeg

Now for the Massey. Plans for spring are beginning to come together. Saturday I’m headed west to see Catscratch and pick up some sawtooth acorns he has so graciously picked up and held on to for me. Yesterday I ordered 4 pear trees from Wildlife Group, 2 kieffers, a gilmer Christmas, and a ms laneene. I’m confident the kieffers will do well, and hopeful the other two will do the same. Now it’s time for a little catch up with some of your tours; it’s good to be back!

I finally had an epiphany, no more political social media for me; this place is SO much more refreshing and sane.
I’ve posted to the deer thread, but I’ll go ahead and throw it up here too for my own future recollections — I was the only one to get a buck shot this year in our little family of hunters. He wasn’t the one I was after, but I said I would fling an arrow at him if he came by the last week of bow season, and he did.
View attachment 21072

Now for the Massey. Plans for spring are beginning to come together. Saturday I’m headed west to see Catscratch and pick up some sawtooth acorns he has so graciously picked up and held on to for me. Yesterday I ordered 4 pear trees from Wildlife Group, 2 kieffers, a gilmer Christmas, and a ms laneene. I’m confident the kieffers will do well, and hopeful the other two will do the same. Now it’s time for a little catch up with some of your tours; it’s good to be back!
Nothing wrong with him! Look at those bases! :eek:

We got the last venison of the season processed last night. We took a little different route and instead of buying cheap 70/30 ground beef to mix with it, we bought some beef fat from a local meat market and mixed it in. I’m very thankful for the advice from the meateater website about freezing the fat chunks, it made the grinding a breeze. We ate a small patty from the meat left over in the bag stuffing tube and I’d have to say, it was the best venison/beef combo we’ve ever processed.
This morning I headed west to Catscratch’s place and picked up several bags of sawtooth acorns. It was a little over an hour’s drive and worth every minute, they have a BEAUTIFUL place! I look forward to trying out his pond one of these days with him and his boys. Thanks again Cat!

I ended up with the better part of the deal! Thanks again for the honey. It was good to meet you face to face. Hope the acorns work for you and keep in touch... those fish aren't going to catch themselves.

I used to mix in a little beef or fat w venison but no longer do that. Instead mix n and egg and slap of butter. Lot easier and taste better. And theirs no doubt my clover alfalfa brassica fed deer are the most tasty I’ve ever had prior to foodplots. They are better fed than most “grass fed, organic , no antibiotic steroid “ cattle. Congrats on your deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinding frozen chunks compared to thawed is definitely a game changer. I’ve been doing that for 15 years and would never go back; I’d rather give up sliced bread!

What are your plans with the sawtooth acorns? LLC sent me a big bag and I’ve gathered some locally. I had planned to tube them but a bear or bears really had their way with tree tubes on my place this year. I could cage a few but definitely not as many as I’d like.

Grinding frozen chunks compared to thawed is definitely a game changer. I’ve been doing that for 15 years and would never go back; I’d rather give up sliced bread!

What are your plans with the sawtooth acorns? LLC sent me a big bag and I’ve gathered some locally. I had planned to tube them but a bear or bears really had their way with tree tubes on my place this year. I could cage a few but definitely not as many as I’d like.

I’m borrowing Catscratch’s method, although I’m not sure it would work for you in bear county. I plan to push 18” lengths of 4” pvc around an inch into the ground and then drop in an acorn, with a handful of dirt in top. Then I’ll put a foot or so of window screen in the top of the tube and let at least half of it stick out the top. Cat instructed me to twist the acorn off after the seedling reaches the top of the tube. The biggest threat and reason for the tube is squirrels and mice getting at the acorn. We don’t have a tremendous amount of browse pressure so I won’t cage ours. Next fall I’ll prolly remove the tube to use in next year’s plantings. I will put some window screen around the base of the seedlings when I remove the tubes. Cat, feel free to correct me if I have any of this wrong. :D

I’m borrowing Catscratch’s method, although I’m not sure it would work for you in bear county. I plan to push 18” lengths of 4” pvc around an inch into the ground and then drop in an acorn, with a handful of dirt in top. Then I’ll put a foot or so of window screen in the top of the tube and let at least half of it stick out the top. Cat instructed me to twist the acorn off after the seedling reaches the top of the tube. The biggest threat and reason for the tube is squirrels and mice getting at the acorn. We don’t have a tremendous amount of browse pressure so I won’t cage ours. Next fall I’ll prolly remove the tube to use in next year’s plantings. I will put some window screen around the base of the seedlings when I remove the tubes. Cat, feel free to correct me if I have any of this wrong. :D
Sounds about right to me. Once the stem has leafs it has used up the energy in the nut. No need to let it sit there and attract rodents. I'm going to want to know how much time it takes you to plant those nuts. Could be enough to stay busy quite a while.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I tried that a few years ago, zero percent unfortunately. Probably bears but something knocked them over and ate all the acorns.

Back