The Massey

Looks like they are predicting Laura is going to stay just enough away from us. We sure could use some of that moisture. Still not a drop on our brassica plot.

Looks like they are predicting Laura is going to stay just enough away from us. We sure could use some of that moisture. Still not a drop on our brassica plot.
Just reviewing your progress, you're sure getting a lot of stuff done. That hurricane should disturb the weather enough that some major portions of the midwest gets some rain. Missouri is going to get some moisture for sure, and you might too.

Just reviewing your progress, you're sure getting a lot of stuff done. That hurricane should disturb the weather enough that some major portions of the midwest gets some rain. Missouri is going to get some moisture for sure, and you might too.

I hope you're right! I also hope Laura doesn't mess a lot of stuff up for our folks down south.

Watching all the radar rain fall in Arkansas and eastern Oklahoma is making me greener than an Arkansas clover plot!

Got 1.5” of rain at the Massey this weekend! Better late than never. Hopefully the brassicas will hit the ground running, if not literally, than at least figuratively.

A couple new bucks showed up at the farm

Seems like we have one or two of these guys running around every year
93265F4B-3141-4F51-9E3B-13235FDAD420.jpeg

This guy looks a lot like the big eight we’ve had around the past few years, if it is him, he went WAY downhill.
60FC8D35-7D0B-4B25-B4F5-82A0A85D198E.jpeg

These guys are still around, the first one is one I should shoot if given the opportunity, the second I’d really like to see make it another year. Hopefully he doesn’t get in front of one of us.
427F13A2-ECFD-4269-BAE4-5500A5A4AAC3.jpeg

BE4C2BC5-0458-4942-A3EF-8BF37B74DBCB.jpeg

Getting a real good rain over on the Massey right now. The brassicas should be doing well. It’s gonna be another week before I can check on them. Hunting pressure is beginning to ramp up with youth season, I don’t want to run anything off our place, and since the girls are holding off til rifle season, I’ll stay out for a while longer.

Snuck into the Massey today while the wind was blowing pretty good in my favor. I just had to see the brassica plot. We ended up with around 4” this week over there according to the neighbors; and very little of the rain was torrential. Obviously, the plot got a 2.5 week late start waiting on rain, but it appears to be taking off.
1A38A1E9-9EFF-48D1-93D2-5488CC3D3406.jpeg

The wide 6x5 appears to have recently lost his velvet. I’m pretty conflicted about this buck, I’m just not sure what deer he is, if he gets in front of one of us, I’m betting we couldn’t hold off.
90ACD4C3-324E-4E2C-9843-9B5AF0B29262.jpeg

Plot and deer looks good. We ended up with around 4 inches too. It will sure help my clovers.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I was thinking of spraying gly tomorrow, next weekend if not. Broadcast next good chance of rain. No hurry though.

I don’t have turkeys around, can I go ahead and broadcast this week and let it set til rain? I’m not going to throw any urea since it’s all going into clover.

You can but I would go heavy. Blackbirds, doves, mice, insects, etc... lots of seed predators beside turkeys. Do you have a rain in the forecast?

You can but I would go heavy. Blackbirds, doves, mice, insects, etc... lots of seed predators beside turkeys. Do you have a rain in the forecast?

Not a great chance in the near future. I think I’ll just seed it real heavy. I was already planning on 150# to the acre.

Just checked my weather app, no real chances for a couple of weeks. You can go heavy now, or go 100lb/acre now and save some for overseeding later if this batch comes up thin.

If you have the time, I would always lean towards overseeding vs one heavy seeding.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
I tend to lean that way also if I don't have a great weather forecast, especially with cereals. Larger seed like beans, pumpkin, and peas I just go heavy the first time because they almost always need the thatch on top to do well. Overseeding those don't seem to work for me.

Did a few final preparations at a place we hunt just north of town. I call it the stadium stand because the college football field is a mile away and if you had binoculars you could watch the game from the stand.
The stand is also located on a ridge top above the river. Lots of crops down below and the oaks are loaded this year. There’s a persimmon grove about 30 yards from the tree as well. We’ve had November pictures of over 15 different bucks in just a matter of days at this spot, the bucks cruise the ridge/river like crazy.
E62E964F-D705-44F2-B55A-F946133D69CF.jpeg

84FBA8C5-3F28-412D-A1EA-F3812C811AF6.jpeg

More scrapes are beginning to open up.
E10EEAD1-5BD0-445B-BE8F-AB7647548013.jpeg

Back