The Massey

I will say from experience (this year being the first time) that being picked up by a car is FAR superior to being busted walking out. That being said, as the season progressed, I think my deer were definitely changing their habits because of the car eventually. And that was maybe 6 times total between October 15th and Thanksgiving. My spot was in the middle of NOWHERE and seeing a car there was far from normal so maybe that played a part. Hopefully your experience is different than mine.

I will say from experience (this year being the first time) that being picked up by a car is FAR superior to being busted walking out. That being said, as the season progressed, I think my deer were definitely changing their habits because of the car eventually. And that was maybe 6 times total between October 15th and Thanksgiving. My spot was in the middle of NOWHERE and seeing a car there was far from normal so maybe that played a part. Hopefully your experience is different than mine.
Our deer are somewhat used to vehicles and the golf cart from tree watering and other property maintenance. Also, our neighbor to the south is constantly back in the middle of the section at our south line picking up hay and feeding too.

Have you been getting some moisture lately?
We’ve had some decent seasonal rains, still awaiting a 2 incher though. 573 days since. Our local town is still “on schedule” to receive national disaster assistance for water by March.

Picked up the first shed of the year on the Massey a couple days ago. Dawna and I just took a short walk, it was too nice out not to.
IMG_2759.jpeg

Were you mostly walking wheat fields? I haven't found one on food yet. Only in the pastures... :(
Yes, all but one we’ve found so far this year came off wheat. Normally wheat down this way is no-tilled into corn stubble, but with the drought failure of much of the beans last fall, a lot of wheat isn’t in corn stalk fields. That has made it much easier to track sheds down than normal.

After a lot of advice from the crew on here -- thanks fellas! -- I've ordered the materials to begin the chestnut from seed journey the right way. I've learned the hard way that shortcuts have an adverse affect on tree quality. I'll document all of this when the supplies arrive and I begin. It'll be a couple more weeks before I begin with the r-18 tray. My biggest concern is keeping the pets out of everything!:rolleyes:

We’re up to 15 antlers on the year so far. I picked up this one in the NE corner of the Massey yesterday evening while pulling stands. This is prolly my favorite shed of the season so far. First, it’s a buck we don’t know at all, and second, though the base isn’t that impressive, the mass carried through the rest of the antler is very impressive. I’m hoping it’s a younger buck with tremendous potential. As you can see from pics, there are also still some bucks running around with head gear, so we’ll still be looking for a while.
IMG_2781.jpeg

72973776859__AF621A29-5A2E-485D-8468-DC9DF1FA6E02.jpeg
02120711.jpeg

02090570.jpeg

Last edited:
Well, the new adventure begins! Hoping for some very healthy chestnut trees at the Massey one day!
IMG_2800.jpeg

Also, the bigger framed buck from above fully shed this past week; no luck finding his horns tho.

My new 6 month old pup found her first shed today,I was going to walk right by it.I did find one side of the NT from last year but the one I found today had almost 2 inches of bone below the pedicle.Can they survive that?

My new 6 month old pup found her first shed today,I was going to walk right by it.I did find one side of the NT from last year but the one I found today had almost 2 inches of bone below the pedicle.Can they survive that?

A 2” sliver? Or 2” of the whole diameter? I’ve seen bucks with a bad break live if it was a sliver. A chunk could be different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it can be normal, but sometimes it’s not. I have not heard a good explanation of when it indicates a brain abscess. Honestly, 2” doesn’t sound good.

As much as I hope we get rain tomorrow, if we don’t, I’ll be out taking down some box elder, and elm trees tomorrow. We have several areas on the Massey that are getting a little too thick with trash trees, even though there is still tons of browse, I’m always a fan of making more. I’m going to wait til the bigger trees leaf out before girdling; I just don’t want to make a costly mistake and kill a wrong tree. I’ll be mainly targeting ash and elm from the bigger trees.

I had the forester come down last week and he was a really nice guy.I wanted to look at my walnuts mostly after the 90MPH winds in August.He mentioned one of the biggest issues with mine were the amount of sticker vines and poison Ivy vines growing up them

I had the forester come down last week and he was a really nice guy.I wanted to look at my walnuts mostly after the 90MPH winds in August.He mentioned one of the biggest issues with mine were the amount of sticker vines and poison Ivy vines growing up them
Yes, vines are an absolute pain

Back