The Brushpile

Brush,

My soil is not near as good as yours. I get good growth but nothing close to what you see.

What is the sound of hybrid poplar growing like? Ha Ha

Several years ago there was a HP growing contest on the forum. In Northern locations I believe HP grew about 8-10 feet. I had drought, so my HP topped out in the teens, while the HP in this pic was cut down and measured at 20 feet.

Brush,

My soil is not near as good as yours. I get good growth but nothing close to what you see.

What is the sound of hybrid poplar growing like? Ha Ha
Hybrid Poplar makes the same sound that Jack's magic beans make as they head toward the clouds. :)

A word of caution about HP. HP will eventually sucker, and is aggressive. However, HP will not grow in the shade, so spreading trees will shade HP out, and HP cuttings planted in the shade will not survive. Deer browse HP! I helped a friend plant 1000 HP and all of them were browsed to death.

HP is a tree when you need a tree.
HP can be planted to form an instant forest
HP makes a screen in one year
HP can be planted to shelter younger trees from exposure to afternoon Sun
HP can be planted to screen a property boundary from neighboring eyes
HP is a disposable tree to create cover while waiting for slower growing trees to establish cover
HP can be planted to connect two wooded areas

Newly planted Hybrid Willow. Both Hybrid Willow (HW) and Hybrid Poplar (HP) grow from cuttings, and are clones from the parent tree, that will be exactly identical to the parent. My HP and HW are from male trees and don't produce flowers or seed. I have never seen HW sucker, so it can only be propagated by cuttings.

This is the same small HW in the foreground, with a second year HW behind it. Not pictured is a tree race I held between HW and HP that were planted side by side to see which would grow faster, and they were dead even. Both HP and HW are said to be the fastest growing tree, depending on the source of info, and my tree race couldn't distinguish a difference. HW can be planted for all the same reasons as HP, and makes a screen in a hurry.

Trees like HP and HW that grow from cuttings, can also be grown from "Truncheons". Truncheons are the same as cuttings, only they're the size of fence posts. The cut HP trees in this pic could be trimmed into truncheons.

This is a Highbush Cranberry hedge. Highbush Cranberry is a viburnum and has obvious screening ability.

While not a real cranberry, the berries can be substituted for cranberries. Highbush Cranberry is another good wildlife shrub that grows from cuttings. I bought this Highbush Cranberry from Lincoln Oakes Nursery in ND, which is a state run nursery that has both quality and fair prices. I've since planted numerous Highbush cranberry cuttings that are also thriving.

It's clear from the above pic that the berries disappear. This is browse on Highbush Cranberry.

This is Hybrid Cranberry's home range. Notice that Highbush Cranberry is not native to Missouri, yet it's growing on "The Brushpile". Many plants that we grow aren't native, to include most agricultural crops. So far I've gotten away with growing Highbush Cranberry, but I suspect that it prefers a cooler climate.
http://www.plants.usda.gov/core/profile?symbol=VIOPA2

On the above link I clicked on "Characteristics", here's everything needed to know to grow Highbush Cranberry.
http://www.plants.usda.gov/java/charProfile?symbol=VIOPA2

This is Arrowwood, which got it's name from Native Americans who used it to make arrows. This plant is young but makes a good specimen pic, while most of the Arrowwood on "The Brushpile" have formed 8-10 foot hedges. Arrowwood grows on both wet and dry soil, though it favors moist soil. Arrowwood is easy to grow and it will grow from cuttings. Deer use Arrowwood for cover and browse, and it could be planted to screen a hunter's movement. I purchased my Arrowood from Lincoln Oakes Nursery, which is a state run nursery in North Dakota.

The berries on Arrowwood are hard, and are eaten by birds. Arrowwood will form a thicket from seed.

There are many more plants, other than the ones I've covered, that can be propagated from cuttings, but I've covered plants that create good deer habitat. By identifying the plants in the pics I've shared, a land manager can gather 1000s of cuttings FREE. ;-)

Back