The Brushpile

Cuttings from Brushpile to Trees in Portland, TN

Brad, AKA Brushpile, took time to encourage me on cuttings. He sent me hybrid poplar cuttings off the Brushpile. He was thinning Hybrid Poplar trees he had used to protect other trees. I will never forget the first time I saw his rebar tool to set / install hole to place a cutting in.

I used a small section of rebar, hammer and pliers. I put three by my driveway after a huge water maple had been removed after lighting has damaged it. That was our shade tree and numerous deer hung from that tree and were quartered out after darkness (porch light nearby helped). City kids that rode the bus would check that tree during deer season to see what had been harvested.

The two hybrid poplar in the photo have been in the ground approximately 18 to 19 months. When first planted they were all inside a protective cage for rabbits and the grass mowers. The man that mows my yard almost laughed aloud when I showed him what we had installed.

He don't laugh anymore. I put fabric down - these get plenty of water as I have Chinese Chestnuts sunning on that side of the yard.

Cuttings 2 Trees.jpg

When I placed these in the ground - I hoped I would not look foolish. Now I brag on these trees. Cost involved? Nothing on the tree side of the process. Walmart can't touch that.

Thanks Brushpile :)

Last edited:
Brush, I had to laugh at the coyote chewing on your water hose like a pup. I'm sure you didn't find it too funny. Thanks again for what you show. I'm not sure you realize how many you influence by your descriptions and plantings. I've reread them many times. And your stapling of screen to pines saved me a lot of loss this year for the first time with my pine plantings.

Exactly what is a cutting?
Great question!

What I call a cutting is actually a hardwood cutting, which is the budded branch of last year's growth. So the new growth a tree or bush puts on this Summer will be what you would look for to make a cutting from before bud break. The first 30 seconds of this video shows how quick and easy it is to gather cuttings.
The cuttings should then be planted in their permanent location, by planting through a weed barrier, and that weed barrier can be Lumite, black plastic, house wrap, and even cardboard. Poke a pilot hole and insert the cutting so that 2/3rds is below ground and one or two buds are above ground.... it's that easy!

Cuttings can also be grown in pots, but I've never done it and see no reason to go through that trouble.

Cuttings from Brushpile to Trees in Portland, TN

Brad, AKA Brushpile, took time to encourage me on cuttings. He sent me hybrid poplar cuttings off the Brushpile. He was thinning Hybrid Poplar trees he had used to protect other trees. I will never forget the first time I saw his rebar tool to set / install hole to place a cutting in.

I used a small section of rebar, hammer and pliers. I put three by my driveway after a huge water maple had been removed after lighting has damaged it. That was our shade tree and numerous deer hung from that tree and were quartered out after darkness (porch light nearby helped). City kids that rode the bus would check that tree during deer season to see what had been harvested.

The two hybrid poplar in the photo have been in the ground approximately 18 to 19 months. When first planted they were all inside a protective cage for rabbits and the grass mowers. The man that mows my yard almost laughed aloud when I showed him what we had installed.

He don't laugh anymore. I put fabric down - these get plenty of water as I have Chinese Chestnuts sunning on that side of the yard.

View attachment 1120

When I placed these in the ground - I hoped I would not look foolish. Now I brag on these trees. Cost involved? Nothing on the tree side of the process. Walmart can't touch that.

Thanks Brushpile :)
Good job Wayne, I love it! I have to caution you about growing HP near your house though, because they'll get big and they snap like match sticks in a storm. From those trees you could probably get 100 cuttings in the Spring, and the trees will grow back from the stump like they were never cut.

Brush, I had to laugh at the coyote chewing on your water hose like a pup. I'm sure you didn't find it too funny. Thanks again for what you show. I'm not sure you realize how many you influence by your descriptions and plantings. I've reread them many times. And your stapling of screen to pines saved me a lot of loss this year for the first time with my pine plantings.
Thank you, that's what I like to hear, I enjoy feedback and other's success.

That dang coyote... I was in a bad mood already from watering all day in 100+ degree heat, and it had a mate. The two coyotes would come into the yard at night and howl right under the bedroom window! It got so bad that my wife didn't want me to water without a gun. It got so bad that I'd lose pressure on the hose and find that the coyote had chewed the hose while I was watering!!! Coyotes spiked that year, and then they died off and there wasn't one to be seen for a year or two.

How is your rain situation? Getting pretty desperate here!
My pond hasn't been full all year, not even in the Spring. I golfed at Branson Hills today and the golf course ponds were down 5-6 feet. I have chances of rain this week but I need three inches, not a passing shower. I also hear thunder in the distance but don't get rain.

Still..... this is not as bad as 2012. Because of drought there'll be very few chestnuts, but the trees are living.

This is severe drought! This is the confluence of the Little Pomme de Terre and Pomme de Terre Rivers in 2012. In past years I caught 2-3 pound bass here, now there are only minnows and the rivers have never come back to a level that will support fish. Drought is something I'll discuss later, but I ran across this pic which shows two rivers almost dried up and which clearly illustrates drought.

This is Silky Dogwood. Silky Dogwood is red, but not as bright a hue of red as Red Osier Dogwood, and is more of a spreading shrub. Silky Dogwood is thicket forming and grows about 8-10 feet tall. The branches on Silky Dogwood bend to the ground, where they root and form another bush. Silky dogwood is cover, browse, bedding and sanctuary. The Silky Dogwood in this pics is about 2-3 years old... it grows fast! Silky Dogwood can be grown from cuttings and is commonly sold as bare root seedlings at wildlife nurseries.

Last edited:
This is a Silky Dogwood cutting that is beginning to grow. A pilot hole was poked through the Lumite and into the soil, the cutting was inserted into the hole so that 2/3rs are in the ground and a pair of buds are above ground. Planting this cutting took seconds.

This is a Silky Dogwood hedge. Tree seedlings are also planted here, though they aren't noticeable, but the Silky Dogwood has quickly established.

This is a Roughleaf Dogwood. Roughleaf Dogwood will grow in adverse conditions and is more drought tolerant than other dogwoods. Roughleaf Dogwood is a thicket forming small tree, and is preferred Whitetail browse. While Roughleaf Dogwood will grow from cuttings, I planted mine bare root from the MDC. In my location the order of browse preference is Roughleaf, Silky, and then Red Osier.

Roughleaf Dogwood is weedy and forms dense thickets. My 4-5 year old Roughleaf are approaching 20'.

Hybrid Poplar is FAST and EASY to grow from cuttings. I fact, it grows so fast that on a calm Summer evening I like to sit on the porch and listen to them grow. ;-)

Hybrid Poplar cuttings can be planted in late Fall in Southern Missouri, but I prefer to take cuttings off existing trees and plant them the same day during February. In Northern climates cuttings can be planted when the ground thaws, or the cuttings can be stored in a cool location like the garage or the refrigerator. I like to be done planting cuttings before my bare root seedlings arrive. The cuttings I plant in February/March will remain dormant until warm weather causes native trees to break bud.

Shortly after bud break HP will look like this.

Here is young Hybrid Poplar (HP). The grass and weeds are still short and the HP looks to be three feet tall. The HP to the right of the plastic grew from the previous year's cuttings!

Back