Rope Mock Scrapes

mattpatt

Anyone ever put one of these out? If so what kind of rope did you use? Lure?

Thanks,
Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the 1 inch hemp untreated rope and let it sit outside for several weeks at least.I have used black widow but probably any buck gland scent would work.

Not a rope, but vines work great. It wasn't 2 days before they started using it. The little guy bedded down in it. He stayed there for almost 3 hours, bedding and playing with it. I didn't use scent. 416757b5-1dd6-4b2f-9bbe-7ab577db4b0e.jpg52a3f8cb-360c-4123-bf13-cbbf6b96af91.jpgad8ea458-5fd4-4a6c-b9a5-c4da646d46af.jpg

This will be my second year of using a hemp rope. I was told by a buddy that they don't really get going good until the second year. I purchased an untreated rope; but even they need an extended period of time outside to get rid of the chemical smell. I also used black widow licking branch gel.
11050048.jpeg
11040034.jpeg

Last edited:
My hemp rope comes in today. Gonna get it outside and let it start marinating. Now to find the lure.

Thanks guys

Matt

I use the 1 inch hemp untreated rope and let it sit outside for several weeks at least.I have used black widow but probably any buck gland scent would work.

Which black widow? I’ve been looking but they make quite a few different kinds. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scrapes are interesting. A biologist buddy of mine did a study many years ago. He put trail cams on scrapes, mock and deer made. In the mock scrapes he did some with doe urine, some with buck urine, some with fox urine, and some he just pissed in. As I recall, there was no statistical difference between visits and use using buck urine and human urine.

Scrapes are interesting. A biologist buddy of mine did a study many years ago. He put trail cams on scrapes, mock and deer made. In the mock scrapes he did some with doe urine, some with buck urine, some with fox urine, and some he just pissed in. As I recall, there was no statistical difference between visits and use using buck urine and human urine.

Yes I start them all the time with my own *cough* special blend. lol I just wanted to something to squirt on the licking branch or in this case the rope.

As far as the consistency, I liked the Jackie’s better, a little goes a long way.

Three years ago, I hung a 1” hemp rope (after letting it air out bit) and used some Smokey’s preorbital scent (only took an application or two before the scrape took off). It has become a year-round scrape, used by does as well.

Well I’m a little disappointed in my hemp rope. According to multiple reviews on Amazon, the rope I order was supposed to be untreated. Well I opened the package and it has some type of oil on it. I stuck it in a pillowcase and washed it a couple times with some scent free soap and the smell isn’t as bad but it’s still there. It’s currently outside airing out. At this point, not sure what else to do.

Well I’m a little disappointed in my hemp rope. According to multiple reviews on Amazon, the rope I order was supposed to be untreated. Well I opened the package and it has some type of oil on it. I stuck it in a pillowcase and washed it a couple times with some scent free soap and the smell isn’t as bad but it’s still there. It’s currently outside airing out. At this point, not sure what else to do.

That is EXACTLY my experience.

I found a place online called Hemptique that looks promising and ordered from them but at this point I’ve spent enough that I could have just bought one of those kits from HODAG that you see at Cabelas or wherever.

Matt

Mine (from Amazon as well) definitely had a strong odor out of the package. I just let it sit outside for a week or two before hanging. Still had plenty of smell to it, but deer started using it pretty quickly anyway.

I saw a little research project in some kind of hunting mag a few years ago where Dr. James Kroll made scrapes using a couple of commercial doe pee products, human urine, and new car smell. Strangely, the new car smell attracted the most deer.

Mine (from Amazon as well) definitely had a strong odor out of the package. I just let it sit outside for a week or two before hanging. Still had plenty of smell to it, but deer started using it pretty quickly anyway.

I have it outside. Thought about hanging it in a tree or something. I don’t know. I would have thought running through heavy cycle on the washer would have gotten more of the smell out but it didn’t.

Matt

I have it outside. Thought about hanging it in a tree or something. I don’t know. I would have thought running through heavy cycle on the washer would have gotten more of the smell out but it didn’t.

Matt

I wonder if dirt would do the trick. Deer are often intrigued by unusual smells that they don't necessarily associate with predators. Back when I was bowhunting with a climber and switchback, I would often dip a cotton ball into vanilla extract and place it on a tree about 20 yards away. I don't think it attracted deer from any distance, but most deer moving through would eventually go over and sniff it positioning them for a broadside 20 yard shot. If I passed, they would just go back to feeding. The point is that, unless the odor is associated by deer with a predator, it is probably a non-issue.

I wonder if dirt would do the trick. Deer are often intrigued by unusual smells that they don't necessarily associate with predators. Back when I was bowhunting with a climber and switchback, I would often dip a cotton ball into vanilla extract and place it on a tree about 20 yards away. I don't think it attracted deer from any distance, but most deer moving through would eventually go over and sniff it positioning them for a broadside 20 yard shot. If I passed, they would just go back to feeding. The point is that, unless the odor is associated by deer with a predator, it is probably a non-issue.
I will say that when I hung rope last fall, it still had the chemical smell. It will take literally months of it being outside to get rid of it completely. The smell didn't seem to keep the deer from using the rope. I DID put the scent on it pretty heavy though, to begin with.

Back