Root maker bags

I also use the degradable root pouches and really like them. Hard to beat that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used $5 roll of landscape fabric and made into pots with staples this spring. Pennies each. I havent pulled one off to check the roots yet, but the trees have grown well and ive seen roots penetrate the fabric and get air pruned.

Todd,

Do you remove tree and rootball from the bag or leave in place and plant the whole thing?

bill
I plant with the bag but I take a razor and make 3 slits down the side and cut an X In the bottom then plant. Root ball never gets disturbed.

Do these bags air prune roots?
Yes if they are used above ground. You do need to either elevate the bottom of the bag off the ground or set them on something that will serve as a barrier to keep them from eventually rooting through the bottom of the bag and into the ground. That depends some as well on the "grade"
of bags used.

I plant with the bag but I take a razor and make 3 slits down the side and cut an X In the bottom then plant. Root ball never gets disturbed.

I do the same thing. Was spending my money on the 3-4 year grow bags. Now I buy the cheaper one year and plant bag and all.

Matt

My first and only experience with AM Leonard was not good. Will never do business with them.

Matt,

Have you (or anyone else) had luck planting trees in these root pouches and leaving them above ground in the winter? I'm looking at low temps in the upper 20's worst case (upstate SC).

My plan is to transplant 3 gallon dunstan chestnut trees into these bags or the root maker pouches (5 gallon?) and baby them until I have a chance to plant them. Might be 6-18 months.

"root maker" vs. "root pouch" vs. "air-pot"....is one better than another?

Am I on the right track?

Last edited:
Back