Do BOB seeds get a bad rap sometimes?

BenAllgood

I'll admit, I've not bought BOB seeds before just because of the stigma. But, I don't really know if it's always justified. I have bought BOB seeds before too. Some of these companies don't just put generic seeds in their bags. Some of these seeds are specifically bred for the purpose and researched and tested. Take for instance LSU and their oats breeding program. Their oats breeding and testing is a long-going program. Take a look at this pic where 234 different oat varieties were trialed for deer preference. This was last year or the year before. I just don't believe the "oat is an oat" mantra after seeing results like that. I do believe there are certain varieties of a single species that deer would prefer over others. Now, is it worth the cost? Only the person buying it can answer that.

OatsTrial.jpg

I’ve never experimented much with clovers, but WINA clover has always been good for me. If I were planting acres of it, I’d probably go with bigger bags of cheaper clover, but at the rates I plant white clovers I don’t see how I can go wrong with the Whitetail Institute brand. I have bought MRC by the fifty pound bag, but about a third of it went bad before I could use it up. Clover seed goes a looooong way !😁

I don't think I've every criticized BOB seed from the perspective seed quality. I think that varies from company to company. BOB seed fills specific niche of guys wanting attraction in small where the cost premium, while significant as a percentage, it trivial in dollar terms due to the size of the plot.

There are quite a few BOB companies that have developed or acquired well researched seed varieties, no doubt.

The problem with the "attraction" studies is that everything is relative. What else do deer have available at the specific time? More importantly, what are the other factors. Some guys think if I plant a more attractive crop, deer will come here to eat rather than my neighbors plot. My experience has been that the attraction of the specific crop is probably one of the least important factors in attraction. Probably the most significant is security, how safe deer feel using the plot during shooting hours. The plot location, the surrounding terrain and vegetation play a significant role, but the most significant is hunting pressure.

For managing deer, it is always better to have a mix of seed than a monoculture. It is better for deer and better for the soil. When planting a small plot where seed cost is a minor concern, BOB seed shines. While some BOB seed is better than others. In most cases, it is not practical to buy the individual seed components and mix yourself. Of course there are downslides to BOB seed. First, you need to pay close attention to the seed tag. Keep in mind that SuperMegaBuckFantastic seed mix may contain different seed and proportion from year to year. The other issue is for QDM folks trying to operate on scale. There, seed cost is a much more significant factor. It is generally better to plant more acreage at a lower intensity

BOB seed has its place, but it is hyped way too much across the food plot industry.

I'm sometimes willing to pay a premium for superior cultivars of a specific species. We assume that all BOB seed are superior cultivars, but sometimes that is not the case. You still need to read the labels and research if necessary.

This year I bought a 3 lb BOB bag of chicory that I really like and can't find any other way to obtain. However, I was able to buy a superior cultivar of medium red clover at a local feed store for about $2.60 a pound rather than pay $6 a pound by buying BOB. This cultivar of red clover rivals and even exceeds some of the best red clover cultivars that the BOB seed companies sell. So, what I did was buy BOB when I didn't have a choice but reject BOB when I could save money.

I'm sometimes willing to pay a premium for superior cultivars of a specific species. We assume that all BOB seed are superior cultivars, but sometimes that is not the case. You still need to read the labels and research if necessary.

This year I bought a 3 lb BOB bag of chicory that I really like and can't find any other way to obtain. However, I was able to buy a superior cultivar of medium red clover at a local feed store for about $2.60 a pound rather than pay $6 a pound by buying BOB. This cultivar of red clover rivals and even exceeds some of the best red clover cultivars that the BOB seed companies sell. So, what I did was buy BOB when I didn't have a choice but reject BOB when I could save money.

Makes perfect sense. There are some cultivars that some BOB companies hold exclusive rights for distribution in the US. In some cases they have significantly improved characteristics, but in other cases, there are similar cultivars that are more readily available and at a lower cost. Other BOB companies have no improved cultivars. They simply buy seed from the same sources we do, mix them and package them.

One good example that I like to cite is the WI clover mixes compared to Pennington Durana. WI has some clover cultivars with great characteristics. However, their improved clovers are only available as part of a mix with inexpensive berseem. When you subtract out the inexpensive seed and look at the price per pound of the improved clovers, it is outrageous. Durana is an equally improved clover with some great persistence and drought resistance characteristics. It too is expensive, but you can buy alone, out side a mix with less expensive clovers in full bags.

As you say, the seed tag is key. Everyone has different circumstances and objectives. The key is always matching the seed, both characteristics and cost to ones objectives.

I always compare seed costs to everything else I spend on deer hunting. Seed costs gets fairly irrelevant then. If I were planting acres instead of fractions of acres I might look a little closer.

I always compare seed costs to everything else I spend on deer hunting. Seed costs gets fairly irrelevant then. If I were planting acres instead of fractions of acres I might look a little closer.
That is the perfect fit for BOB seed.

Back