Poor Sweetgums

Native...I gotta get me some of that Remedy. I swear, the edges of 2 of our food plots that we cleared 3 years ago have hundreds of sweet gums that are well over 10 ft tall now. We bout to put a mini-excavator whoopin' on the edge of those food plots and this time an ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure. Shoulda did the "ounce of prevention" thing 3 years ago.

Do you want to plant some for J-bird or do you want me to run up there some night and do it?:D

Wow, I didn't realize there was so many flavors of Bush Honeysuckle. It will completely change the timber around here in my lifetime. I don't see oak regeneration possible anywhere near this crap. We have autumn olive also and it doesn't hold a candle to BH.
In my hometown any small patch of trees in town is ate up with it, I have some growing less than 40 yds from my front door. I have waved the white flag at our 136 acres here. I could kill it everyday of the week and still lose when you are surrounded by acres and acres of it. Scary stuff because something has to give and I doubt it will be the bush honeysuckle.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thats awful, but i still think I'd be willing to trade our kudzu for your honeysuckle. It is truly incurable in areas where it is firmly established

Thankfully I don't have gum trees.....don't want any either, so don't even offer! I do have JBH - nasty crap that it is! Very invasive stuff. I may have to look into this remedy ultra stuff.
sweetgum takes years to eradicate here, too, primarily in pine plantations where it is well-established. Even after timber harvest and site-prep is conducted for the next plant, it is always there. One thing (the only thing) that I found sweetgum could not handle very well was last year's drought. It crushed most hickory trees and red oaks as well as really stressed gums. Dogwoods are toast for the most part as result of the drought, too. Ash and white oaks are two that surprisingly held up well in most areas that I've noticed.

Back