Poor Sweetgums

Native Hunter

I'm starting to get concerned about these poor sweetgums. They didn't seem to like the does of Remedy Ultra that I sprayed a few days ago. I'm starting to doubt they are going to pull through...LOL.

Native, there are plenty of sweet gums on my property you can spray to see if it was just your local sweet gum that have an issue. We want to have a broad test range you know!

Native, there are plenty of sweet gums on my property you can spray to see if it was just your local sweet gum that have an issue. We want to have a broad test range you know!

Rick, sometime after the last human on this planet has died, there will be a coyote treeing a coon in a sweetgum tree.

If any of mine survive I can send you some seed so that you can start your own strain of RR Sweetgums....:)

Speaking of coons, I caught one last week in my chicken coop. Something killed 4 chickens in 6 days so I set the trap. Damn coon was thinning the flock. I haven't lost another since we caught that coon but I will just leave the trap in there just in case I get another visitor.

Not to derail the thread Native, but I was always under the impression that jap honeysuckle was different than bush honeysuckle? Here in west central Illinois bush honeysuckle is everywhere. I cringe to think of what thing will look like in the next 20 years... No way it could ever be eradicated. I mushroom hunt a 410 acre piece in Pike County. It has 285 acres timber and it is totally overrun with it..Decent cover for deer but it is now shading out most of the forest floor. All this started after the farm was logged.
Thanks
Scott

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not to derail the thread Native, but I was always under the impression that jap honeysuckle was different than bush honeysuckle? Here in west central Illinois bush honeysuckle is everywhere. I cringe to think of what thing will look like in the next 20 years... No way it could ever be eradicated. I mushroom hunt a 410 acre piece in Pike County. It has 285 acres timber and it is totally overrun with it..Decent cover for deer but it is now shading out most of the forest floor. All this started after the farm was logged.
Thanks
Scott

Scott,

Yes, you are correct. What we normally refer to as Japanese Honeysuckle is a vine with the designation of Lonicera japonica. It's not a bush. Some people find this invasive and others don't. It depends on the location of the country. Here where I live it is prevalent and fairly aggressive in fence rows, but never a problem and easy to control. It can only tolerate so much shade, and finds it difficult to thrive in a field. Hence it is relegated to certain spots. It has 18% protein, stays green all winter and is a great winter browse plant in my area.

Some people use the term Japanese Bush Honeysuckle, but really we should be saying Asian Bush Honeysuckle. However, when I hear someone use JBH I know what they are talking about, because the term is used frequently.

Another thing we habitat guys do is generalize bush honeysuckle into just one species. Actually, there are at least 4 different ones that I personally know of and possibly more:

Lonicera maackii - Amur Honeysuckle

L. tatarica - Tatarian honeysuckle

L. morrowii - Morrow's honeysuckle

L. X bella - Bell's honeysuckle

Most of us really don't care about differentiating the above Asian Bush Honeysuckles, because all are invasive and very similar.

I hope this answers your question.

PS: You are in the epicenter zone for bush honeysuckles to thrive. The northern end of my state is about like you describe.

Wow, I didn't realize there was so many flavors of Bush Honeysuckle. It will completely change the timber around here in my lifetime. I don't see oak regeneration possible anywhere near this crap. We have autumn olive also and it doesn't hold a candle to BH.
In my hometown any small patch of trees in town is ate up with it, I have some growing less than 40 yds from my front door. I have waved the white flag at our 136 acres here. I could kill it everyday of the week and still lose when you are surrounded by acres and acres of it. Scary stuff because something has to give and I doubt it will be the bush honeysuckle.....

Wow, I didn't realize there was so many flavors of Bush Honeysuckle. It will completely change the timber around here in my lifetime. I don't see oak regeneration possible anywhere near this crap. We have autumn olive also and it doesn't hold a candle to BH.
In my hometown any small patch of trees in town is ate up with it, I have some growing less than 40 yds from my front door. I have waved the white flag at our 136 acres here. I could kill it everyday of the week and still lose when you are surrounded by acres and acres of it. Scary stuff because something has to give and I doubt it will be the bush honeysuckle.....

Yes, I agree it's a real problem in your area. I wish I had an answer, but I don't. You seem to understand the gravity of it, but a lot of people don't. We are talking about some hardwood forests eventually disappearing and being replaced with a patch of BH.

Is there something special about the Remedy Ultra, or will generic triclopyr give similar results? Also, did you mix the herbicide with diesel or water? I have major issues with sweetgum and privette and am looking for a good option.
Thanks,
Keith

Is there something special about the Remedy Ultra, or will generic triclopyr give similar results? Also, did you mix the herbicide with diesel or water? I have major issues with sweetgum and privette and am looking for a good option.
Thanks,
Keith

No, nothing special. Mixed with MSO and water. This was in a NWSG field so no diesel.

Native...I gotta get me some of that Remedy. I swear, the edges of 2 of our food plots that we cleared 3 years ago have hundreds of sweet gums that are well over 10 ft tall now. We bout to put a mini-excavator whoopin' on the edge of those food plots and this time an ounce of prevention will be worth a pound of cure. Shoulda did the "ounce of prevention" thing 3 years ago.

Normally I have to keep the reins on my dad when it comes to gly, he wants to use it everywhere on everything. But I may have to share this with him and let him wage war on those sweet gums.

Thankfully I don't have gum trees.....don't want any either, so don't even offer! I do have JBH - nasty crap that it is! Very invasive stuff. I may have to look into this remedy ultra stuff.

Back