One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

How long after sprouting can the seedling be left in containers? I have what are called 7 gallon containers, some that are called 3 gallon containers that some of my fruit tree's came in. Some are a little smaller. I was hoping to leave them in the containers for a year to keep them watered due our drought.

I only have one three gallon container. I have zero of the seven gallon containers. I believe it would be realistic to get a Chinese Chestnut to perform well in a three gallon container thru Nov 2017 or Dec 2017.

The appearance of the seedlings will tell us a great deal about how well the seedlings in the container is doing. How often you water, the temps, the humidity and how much fertilizer you feed a seedlings can influence the outcome in terms of months.

To me the 7 gallon container would be used to go toward 18 to 24 months. To be fair, I have no experience with the seven gallon so others would give better feedback on that.

Thats what i was thinking, but wasn't sure if they were like fruit tree's. Thanks for answereing all my questions, Wayne.

Thats what i was thinking, but wasn't sure if they were like fruit tree's. Thanks for answereing all my questions, Wayne.
If I had some pots smaller than a 3 gallon, I would start them in the smaller container and move them up to the three gallon after about 3 months. Then the 3 gallon would allow them plenty of room. I read the post a second time and say the phrase, "some are a little smaller" and I assume that means the containers.

Make sure the containers drain well and it is ok to add holes on the side. Aeration is an important part of seedling health - roots need oxygen and water. If anything we think about water all the time and forget oxygen. Don't pack the growing media - it is better off loose in the container.

Biggest mistake I ever made - I used a dowel peg to pack and cram as much soil as I could in rootmakers so my persimmons wouldn't lose their soil. What they lost was room to grow and oxygen.

Has anyone that has planted 2 chestnuts in containers, or the ground, ever had both sprout and then pull one of them and relocate to another container or site? I was thinking this might be easier on container grown tree's due to the media being looser.

I keep my chestnuts in the fridge till I start to see a radicle, then I plant all that sprout and rarely have one that doesn't come up. So never had to plant two to a pot.

I've planted several in a 5gallon bucket at once, then separated them for planting. There was some root damage but not a lot. They did ok.
I do things different than most though. I've never used the pro-mix that is common for container grown. Instead I mostly use my native soil in the pots. My thinking is geared towards transplanting health rather than large amounts of growth in the container. I don't want the roots to have to adapt to different soil densities. Of course I might be full of it too! I have no proof that what I do works any better/worse/or differently than anything else.

Been in Kentucky deer hunting - just got back. Some people plant multiples in large containers. GraceNmercy is the master at that.

In containers I believe separating roots is less difficult than in the field. Last Thursday, I stuck twelve doubles of DCO with most getting a tree tube, although two got a hardware cloth cylinder. I will pick the best one if doubles grow. My twelve are 6 spots on the left and 6 spots on the right with a 14 feet lane to plant in clover.

If I have a location where neither one grows, I will plant a seedlings that was container grown. I just don't have room to grow everything in containers - so I stretch my reach with direct seeding (attempt to stretch my reach).

I got four American Chestnut hybrids from a friend - planted two per container. This situation is similar to your question.

The placement of the chestnuts and the orientation of the nut matters. I want the nuts about 1 1/2 inches apart and pointed away from each other. In the other words, the point of the chestnut where the radicle comes out is pointed toward the outside of the container.

If your container is larger, then the 1 1/2 inches can be increased.

When to replant the two seedlings? I am going to do it while they are small and actively growing - which prevents a great deal of root entanglement.

Hope this helps.

The four American Chestnut hybrids were successfully repotted to two gallon root pouches. They are super healthy. I will plant them next spring of 2017, I got them in June of 2016. They are in my greenhouse right now. They were chestnuts taken from an American that sprouted from a dead stump. They were pollenated by nearby Chinese Chestnuts.

I love those seedlings as they are the first Americans in my possession. Blumsden, they were once doubles in the same container.

Two in a container - to me means I am going to repot both of them. If one stays in the same container I will repot it and make sure it is centered in the original pot after the other seedlings is moved to a different container.

Others may have a way they prefer. I want all of my plants centered as best I can get them.

Today I discarded all Chinese Chestnuts that aren't in one of my fridges. You can't keep them forever.

I shipped 150 orders and I did a great job of cherry picking the best chestnuts for the home team. I have received Americans from two sources. Got swamp white oak, sawtooth and much more.

My next project is to build a walk in cooler.

Stratification, direct seeding, indoor grow setups, etc. will keep this thread going.

I enjoy answering questions regarding Chinese Chestnuts. Don't be afraid to ask 'em.

Wbp I you haven't already Indiana Larry should have his American chestnuts for sale on ebay about this time. I think I paid $10 or something for 12 nuts last year and got 100% germination. Thought I'd mention it in case you were interested.

I think Indiana Larry is a smart man. He understands stratification better than most of us.

I am cheap when it gets down to it. I have always wanted to wait until I was experienced to try Americans. I think his price is high for this cheap skap. :rolleyes:

Lol well maybe one of mine or Merle's will make it and I'll hook you up

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This is the time of year when the Chinese Chestnut will undergo a change in leave color. This is normal.

I took a photo of my avatar tree this afternoon.
Chestnut Color Change.jpg

We see brown, green, yellow and combinations of these colors. This tree is loaded with healthy leaves. Having grown this tree from the chestnut, it is my favorite tree. It will be a twin trunk tree. It has good scaffold of limbs.

Back