One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

Happy Thanksgiving Wayne! You continue to be a great steward, not only of the land, but of your talents. Keep up the good work!

On Tuesday I made a Thanksgiving post on this thread. I mentioned my good friend, Milton by name.

His Angels took him home on Tuesday morning. His passing has shaken me up so much I can barely type. I talked about a lady I have known all my life struggling with cancer. Hoping she would live long enough to see chestnuts bear from tree genetics from her dad's trees. Tomorrow is promised to none of us.

Milton loved his grandkids and spending time with them on the farm, planting and hunting. He was an Auburn Fan, head to toe. Most of all Milton was just a friend to all, genuine and kind. He loved growing tomatoes and sharing them with people far and wide. His mom instilled that passion in him. Milton grew tomatoes on a pier at his lake house. Why? Because the pier provided the only full sunlight available.

Milton has a small greenhouse which I enjoyed reading about. In a few years, I built my own greenhouse due to seeing his and another friend's greenhouse.

If not for the old QDMA Forum I would have never met and got to know this great man. I pray for all of his family in this time of loss. Enjoy your family and friends while you can as we never know when our Angels gonna take us home or them.

Last edited:
A post from Milton in late April this year on this thread. Wanda was not excited to have her photo posted otherwise I would have posted a photo in the local restaurant during their visit. Milton's post is in the blue font.

Great update as always, Wayne. The difference this time is I knew exactly what you were describing. Wanda and I enjoyed our visit with you and your wife.

The Collins chestnuts you gave me had great radicles forming so my grandson and I transferred them to gallon grow pots. They are in my greenhouse inside wire box to keep varmints out. No top growth yet.

Of the seedlings you gave me I have 2 Ohio and 3 Chestnut Ridge in large pots to grow and plant next winter. All the rest Jack and I put in the ground in the Bull Pen. We keep them watered and are doing great so far.

I have two other batches of Chestnut trees from seed you sent me in 2012 and later. The early ones have been producing numerous chestnuts for 3 or 4 years now. And I am hoping the dozen in the second batch come thru this year.

Thanks for everything

On Tuesday I made a Thanksgiving post on this thread. I mentioned my good friend, Milton by name.

His Angels took him home early this morning. His passing has shaken me up so much I can barely type. I talked about a lady I have known all my life struggling with cancer. Hoping she would live long enough to see chestnuts bear from tree genetics from her dad's trees. Tomorrow is promised to none of us.

Milton loved his grandkids and spending time with them on the farm, planting and hunting. He was an Auburn Fan, head to toe. Most of all Milton was just a friend to all, genuine and kind. He loved growing tomatoes and sharing them with people far and wide. His mom instilled that passion in him. Milton grew tomatoes on a pier at his lake house. Why? Because the pier provided the only full sunlight available.

Milton has a small greenhouse which I enjoyed reading about. In a few years, I built my own greenhouse due to seeing his and another friend's greenhouse.

If not for the old QDMA Forum I would have never met and got to know this great man. I pray for all of his family in this time of loss. Enjoy your family and friends while you can as we never know when our Angels gonna take us home or them.
I'm so sorry for your loss Wayne. Your are certainly right that tomorrow is promised to no one. With each step I take toward my final day, the more I find things matter less and people more.

I’m shaken, too, Wayne, and I didn’t even know him. I was so sad to read about his passing this morning. I’m sorry for your loss.

I guess us old timers forget our numbers get smaller while the newcomers don't know names and handles. Milton Lovelady joined this forum at the very beginning. He was very active on the QDMA forum under the handle Lakngulf. New forum so he became Lakngolf. He was a computer guy working in IT Departments in Government Jobs.

He had 2,397 messages on this forum. His reaction score was 2,188. He had a witty sense of humor. To me, he represented all of the good things we hope to see in people.

If you read many post, you might hear one of us refer to him a Mater Man - cause he was a Master Tomato Grower. A skill developed in him by his beloved Mom.

Last edited:
Milton Charles Lovelady Obit
Forum Handle
Lakngolf

For those that can't open the link, the information below will help you with the visitation/funeral details.

The family will greet friends on Sunday, November 26, 2023, at 1:30pm at Rehobeth Baptist Church in Lawley, AL (11518 Deer Creek Rd, Lawley, AL 36793). The graveside service will follow at 2:30pm, at the church’s cemetery. Martin Funeral Home directing.

Milton Charles Lovelady Obit
Forum Handle
Lakngolf

For those that can't open the link, the information below will help you with the visitation/funeral details.
The family will greet friends on Sunday, November 26, 2023, at 1:30pm at Rehobeth Baptist Church in Lawley, AL (11518 Deer Creek Rd, Lawley, AL 36793). The graveside service will follow at 2:30pm, at the church’s cemetery. Martin Funeral Home directing.

According to the obituary,Lakngolf died in his sleep

What a merciful way to leave this earth and meet the Lord

bill

New Hardiness Zone Maps Released in Nov. 2023 (last updated in 2012)

Science data improves with more weather stations (5,429 increase) to collect data and improve accuracy in your local area. This YouTube video is from Bootstrap Farmer which has plenty of good information about hoop houses, greenhouses, pipe benders, heat maps and other resources. If you watch this video, please pay attention to learn about Frost Date Maps. The growing zone for my town changed slightly and I discovered there is a weather collecting station at the Portland's City Utility Plant about 2 miles from my home.

I hope this helps Chestnut Growers and all Habitat Folks.

Last edited:
The American Chestnut Foundation has adopted a controversial position on the approach to solving the restoration of the tree's restoration.

For personal reasons, I stayed away from the American Chestnut - I wanted to be able to see the successful growth of what I planted in my lifetime. The Chinese Chestnut Tree has already granted me that pleasure. I have many people who I respect greatly that are upset and disheartened by the change in course.

I have concern that what TACF did will hurt their membership numbers going forward. I personally support the SUNY Research efforts in New York. Genetics are a subject I do not understand and wisely avoid it.

Bill Deeter in Indiana is one of the best tree people in the United States IMO. I have never known him to be on the wrong side of any issue. He and i have exchanged nuts, just not any chestnuts. He has great concerns about the change the ACF has taken.

i am gonna let this post be my last comment on this subject. Those that disagree with me, that is your right. If this is news to any of you, get on the internet to get an idea of what transpired.

What change has occurred?
They killed Darling. I don't know if that is good or bad. Science often goes down rabbit holes that need to be terminated to redirect resources to other paths. There is always controversy when a line of research is killed. I don't know enough about the specifics of Darling's transgenic research to have an opinion.

They killed Darling. I don't know if that is good or bad. Science often goes down rabbit holes that need to be terminated to redirect resources to other paths. There is always controversy when a line of research is killed. I don't know enough about the specifics of Darling's transgenic research to have an opinion.
The Darling line isn't totally dead. "Darling 58" is likely dead. In short, in testing the Darling 58 trees, their offspring were not doing well. BUT, and here's the kicker, someone at SUNY apparently mislabeled a non D58 tree as D58, so some of the distributed pollen used in the "testing" trees were not from D58. It's still a bit unclear exactly which trees offspring weren't doing well. Because of this mix-up TACF and SUNY have "broken up". Time and money were wasted testing the wrong trees, so some frustration is to be expected. There's a "Chestnut Chat" zoom call on Friday 12/15 to discuss in more detail. Who knows what will be said, as it's TACF's Zoom.

I want to wish all users on this forum a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Those that celebrate differently from me, I pray you and yours enjoy your holiday season too.

I am a very blessed man, been married to same wonderful lady over 50 years. Retired and enjoy the fruits of my and her labor without worry. My son and daughter have always been a great source of pride as they are responsible adults who give back to their community. My grandkids are growing up rapidly. This week I have been helping my son as we remodel a house that Hunter Wayne Pruett is purchasing at the age of 21. Hunter has worked hard on saving his $$ so he can swing this. He has an excellent computer job, he is a software engineer but we call him a computer nerd. Good news is he is paid like an engineer, not a nerd.

People are the most important thing in my life, not things. All of my grandkids are headed in the right direction which is no easy task in the times we live in.

I love this forum! Why do I feel this way. The users and contributors here help people improve their land, giving back to wildlife. On Facebook and other social platforms, you ask a question and get all kinds of smart a$$ replies, not on our forum. This forum was formed because QDMA pulled the plug on a great forum, due to greed IMO. I am thankful for helpful nature of all who post here.

This thread didn't start here, it started on the QDMA forum. 2023 is gonna be my best year ever, I am gonna have over 500 chinese chestnut seedlings I have given away. I am waiting on the High School FFA Class to give me numbers of some chestnuts to know my final numbers.

Does it cost me $$. Yes, it does but it is my only charity I give to other than our local church and Hands for Hope (food bank). I am 70 years old and started Deer Hunting at the age of 12 when to see a deer was cause for celebration in Middle Tennessee. I still remember the first gang of deer we ever flushed out of a partially picked cornfield around 1968. So, the way I look at it, I have a long way to close the balance between my giving back verses what I have enjoyed chasing the whitetail deer.

I have stopped shipping chestnuts or seedlings, instead giving seedlings in my area of Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky. I along with Milton Lovelady's family and friends are gonna get 100 Wildlife Trees planted in the fall of 2024 in his honor. Lakngolf was a very generous man in his area of Alabama, so we are gonna give back in his honor.

Gonna get off here and go work on the house my grandson is about to buy. God's Speed to all of you in this Habitat Family we have built together.

Wayne Pruett
Portland, TN Dec 2023

I want to wish all users on this forum a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. Those that celebrate differently from me, I pray you and yours enjoy your holiday season too.

I am a very blessed man, been married to same wonderful lady over 50 years. Retired and enjoy the fruits of my and her labor without worry. My son and daughter have always been a great source of pride as they are responsible adults who give back to their community. My grandkids are growing up rapidly. This week I have been helping my son as we remodel a house that Hunter Wayne Pruett is purchasing at the age of 21. Hunter has worked hard on saving his $$ so he can swing this. He has an excellent computer job, he is a software engineer but we call him a computer nerd. Good news is he is paid like an engineer, not a nerd.

People are the most important thing in my life, not things. All of my grandkids are headed in the right direction which is no easy task in the times we live in.

I love this forum! Why do I feel this way. The users and contributors here help people improve their land, giving back to wildlife. On Facebook and other social platforms, you ask a question and get all kinds of smart a$$ replies, not on our forum. This forum was formed because QDMA pulled the plug on a great forum, due to greed IMO. I am thankful for helpful nature of all who post here.

This thread didn't start here, it started on the QDMA forum. 2023 is gonna be my best year ever, I am gonna have over 500 chinese chestnut seedlings I have given away. I am waiting on the High School FFA Class to give me numbers of some chestnuts to know my final numbers.

Does it cost me $$. Yes, it does but it is my only charity I give to other than our local church and Hands for Hope (food bank). I am 70 years old and started Deer Hunting at the age of 12 when to see a deer was cause for celebration in Middle Tennessee. I still remember the first gang of deer we ever flushed out of a partially picked cornfield around 1968. So, the way I look at it, I have a long way to close the balance between my giving back verses what I have enjoyed chasing the whitetail deer.

I have stopped shipping chestnuts or seedlings, instead giving seedlings in my area of Middle Tennessee and Southern Kentucky. I along with Milton Lovelady's family and friends are gonna get 100 Wildlife Trees planted in the fall of 2024 in his honor. Lakngolf was a very generous man in his area of Alabama, so we are gonna give back in his honor.

Gonna get off here and go work on the house my grandson is about to buy. God's Speed to all of you in this Habitat Family we have built together.

Wayne Pruett
Portland, TN Dec 2023
Wayne, thanks for all you do for everyone, and we wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Back