One Thousand Chestnut Trees - a Whitetail Deer Project

Oh they look great Lakngulf. When the catkins grow on them in May - early June here you have to watch wind and blowing rain. I have been hit in 2018 and in 2016 with wind and forceful rain that stripped most or all catkins.

In 2017, I didn't have that occur and I got 51 viable chestnuts off 3 of my 5 chestnuts in my yard. I might get 6 to 8 chestnuts this time but that is because mother nature stripped them with forceful weather.

Your trees have great looking leaves which tell us the root system is getting it done!

Congrats - deer gonna love them.

Wayne

I saw this message before I hit the walking track this morning. As I walked I thought about great a job you have done with your Chinese Chestnut seedlings. Man alive that tree looks so healthy. I also thought about how lucky your deer will be when those 20 starting bearing chestnuts each fall. Out of 20, I hope a few of them bear later in the growing season than the rest to spread out the hunting opportunity.

I walk 1.4 miles each morning on a nice walking track in an 88 acre park complex - Richland Park in Portland, TN. That park is a product of city, state and federal government funds and cooperation. Lucky to have that resource.

Also, this morning I thought about the day I was bushing hogging on my tractor and studied about my upcoming retirement. That day I made my mind up that I was going to invest my time and efforts at helping the whitetail deer by spreading Chinese Chestnut trees across their range. I got a few comments from people that acted like it was a hair brain idea.

I am so glad for LLC and all the other habitat people that helped out by getting a box of Chinese Chestnuts and growing seedlings on their ground. I know I have shipped over 18,600 chestnuts thru the post office. This fall I am going to be active enough to pass 20,000 Chinese Chestnuts distributed.

My dad was a great hunter - his motto was it is OK to be late to work but if you going hunting or fishing with me you better be on time. I ain't that bad but I love chasing whitetail deer with a bow. I wanted to help the deer across their range. LLC, me and all the other habitat guys & girls that have planted chestnut seedlings have done that.

Once again, LLC, your tree in the photo looks so healthy. Congrats on your success. Thanks for posting the photo on this thread.

It ain't that long until I get the old nut wizard out and start collecting chestnuts.

Thanks for reading this thread.

Wayne

Last edited:
Lak, I may have missed it in your post but were these started in containers or direct seeded? I have both and you have much better growth in two seasons than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lak, I may have missed it in your post but were these started in containers or direct seeded? I have both and you have much better growth in two seasons than I do.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I will have took up some dates on planting. But first three pics are grown in greenhouse then transplanted. Last picture direct seed. There were many more trees around two in last pic that I transplanted elsewhere. Will get pictures of them next trip.
I do think this is more then second year

Update Sept 24th, 2018

I am going to ship enough Chinese Chestnuts to reach the 20,000 distributed mark this month. I am looking for 8 people that are willing to pay $8 bucks for a flat rate box of 50 Chinese Chestnuts. You don't pay me until after you receive the box of chestnuts and inspect their condition.

It is first come first serve. I need your name and complete mailing address sent to me in a private message on this forum or sent to my personal email at wbpdeer@att.net

I am over 19,500 Chinese Chestnuts distributed now. The number of seedlings created by the project far exceeded our original goal of 1,000.

I am so thankful for all the habitat guys and gals that participated in this project. Thank you. What has been accomplished will help the whitetail deer herd across many states in the Eastern US.

Wayne B. Pruett
Portland, TN 37148

Update Sept 24th, 2018

I am going to ship enough Chinese Chestnuts to reach the 20,000 distributed mark this month. I am looking for 8 people that are willing to pay $8 bucks for a flat rate box of 50 Chinese Chestnuts. You don't pay me until after you receive the box of chestnuts and inspect their condition.

It is first come first serve. I need your name and complete mailing address sent to me in a private message on this forum or sent to my personal email at wbpdeer@att.net

I am over 19,500 Chinese Chestnuts distributed now. The number of seedlings created by the project far exceeded our original goal of 1,000.

I am so thankful for all the habitat guys and gals that participated in this project. Thank you. What has been accomplished will help the whitetail deer herd across many states in the Eastern US.

Wayne B. Pruett
Portland, TN 37148
Did you get my Facebook message that I'm only looking for around 10 or 15 not a hundred LOL

John

I am trying to get this project to 20,000 Chinese Chestnuts distributed this week. I am down to the last 600 to do that. I will ship you 50 chestnuts for $8 bucks. What you don't use, find a person who will use them. Got to be someone out there that knows you that can get some chestnuts going.

The postal service treats me well when I ship in a flat rate box.

If you want to go the $8 route for 50 Chinese Chestnuts send me your mailing address in a personal message or email me at wbpdeer@att.net Your Chinese Chestnuts look great and very healthy.

I have a big dog event this Saturday, Sept 29th in my home town. As soon as I get that put away I going to hit the tree stand and enjoy hunting season. My Chinese Chestnut window is very narrow this year.

Congratulations on your Jeep Restoration.

Wayne B. Pruett

Update Sept 24th, 2018

Wayne B. Pruett
Portland, TN 37148

I’m in.
Steve Owens
2410 Granite Pointe
Jonesboro, AR 72404

Wayne,
I'd like a box if they're not all spoken for. Chuck and I were admiring some of your trees at our place in the rain Sunday afternoon btw.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Wayne,

I sent you an email using your personal email address. I would like a box also if it's not to late. Thanks for everything you do.

Wayne,

I sent you an email using your personal email address. I would like a box also if it's not to late. Thanks for everything you do.
Deerpatch

I added you to the list. I will let you know when they are handed to the PO.

Thanks
Wayne

Wayne I appreciate your efforts, and I have several of your trees growing and doing well. I have already made arrangements with Rogers to swap some acorns for some chestnuts. Thanks again and best of luck in hitting your goal. Some time you should put up a map that we can pin the location of the trees we are growing from your chestnuts, just to see how far reaching the results of your efforts have been.

I’m in.
Steve Owens
2410 Granite Pointe
Jonesboro, AR 72404

I shipped 8 boxes today. I overlooked your post. So I will ship your box on Wednesday. I will go thru and find the largest chestnuts I have left.

Bear with me - I am out of practice.

Thanks

Wayne

Wayne,
I'd like a box if they're not all spoken for. Chuck and I were admiring some of your trees at our place in the rain Sunday afternoon btw.

Merle,

Your box is on its way. Gave it to the PO right after lunch today.

Let me know when they arrive and their condition. Been real damp here - concerned about mold this year.

Wayne

Update - Chestnut Goal Reached - I am tapped out.

Friends I have reached the 20,000 count of Chinese Chestnuts distributed since I began this project. Reaching this total was possible because of the all the people that want to grow chestnuts on their ground. I am so thankful for the participation of each and every single person.

At this time I tapped out and will begin to concentrate on my 2018 Deer Season. This Saturday I am hosting a NASHDA Hunt Test in Portland, TN with 35 dogs scheduled to run. Weather is looking favorable.

Wayne B. Pruett

Congrats Wayne and good luck with the hunt.
20k! That's quite the tree family you're responsible for.

Wayne, I ran the chisel plow lightly over my food plots today, in anticipation of planting tomorrow. On the edge of almost every plot were some very healthy chestnuts. Thought of you!! Good job

Back