Ohio Farm Tours

I have never done that yet, I have broke some nocks and knocked of fletchings but never split an arrow!
Yep - great way to F-up a carbon arrow. It's cool, but them arrows are not cheap. I "telescoped" one only once thus far. And it was and 1 - 2 shot as well.....I also hate tuning with broad heads as the fixed blades can shave a fletching right off!

On your mineral stump - did you do anything to "sweeten" it? I know some put fertilizer or even actual minerals on the stump or around it to try to get the growth from it to carry some of those nutrients to the deer.

Yep - great way to F-up a carbon arrow. It's cool, but them arrows are not cheap. I "telescoped" one only once thus far. And it was and 1 - 2 shot as well.....I also hate tuning with broad heads as the fixed blades can shave a fletching right off!

On your mineral stump - did you do anything to "sweeten" it? I know some put fertilizer or even actual minerals on the stump or around it to try to get the growth from it to carry some of those nutrients to the deer.

I have not put anything on the stump. I just cut it and let it go. I have done several maples in the past and those have always been eaten down to the ground, no FERT required. The goal of the stump is that they are working to grow back to their original size, before the cut - that is why they are pulling so many nutrients from the soil in an effort to grow as fast as possible, adding FERT seems like a waste to me but I am not an expert on them.

NOW FOR THE FARM UPDATE:

New Gates:
IMG_0073.JPG
Big plot is putting on growth in clover, chic, alfalfa and radish as a cover crop
IMG_0074.JPG
Double Stand plot has done really well,after I mowed last month and put down 6/24/24
IMG_0083.JPG

High Point is still not growing to well, it is a brand new plot - I sent in soil tests today, I am assuming it needs lime really really heavy.
IMG_0085.JPG

StoneHendge is really coming in good this year! I planted this 1 month ago, Afalfa, clovers, chicory, radish - putting on the growth!

IMG_0091.JPG
IMG_0092.JPG
IMG_0093.JPG

Those openings are looking great Al. That stud still has a LOT of growing left. Gate looks good, I’m slowly working on my fence/gate project.

Last edited:
He’s already bigger than many of our full grown 4.5 year old bucks..... I’m amazed at the variation between different areas!

Thank you Elk, I am also amazed by the changes in different areas. I always thought I could buy 500+ acres right next door in WV but the bucks would be smaller, typically. Well that just cant be, I will give them all they need and grow big deer! However, that is simply not always the case, a couple hundred miles can make a MASSIVE difference in deer size, antler size, etc. In the end I think the age/nutrition structure does have the largest overall impact on the deer.

Those openings are looking great Al. That stud still has a LOT of growing left. Gate looks good, I’m slowly working on my fence/gate project.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Thank you bud, we have a few good ones around this year, more then normal. The deer numbers on the farm seem to have increased. I am very excited to have plots back into some clover/alfalfa/chic mixes - just need to mow them a couple times a year and maybe spray once in awhile as well. Deer seem to like them too! Should have 4 more soil tests in today.

Thank you bud, we have a few good ones around this year, more then normal. The deer numbers on the farm seem to have increased. I am very excited to have plots back into some clover/alfalfa/chic mixes - just need to mow them a couple times a year and maybe spray once in awhile as well. Deer seem to like them too! Should have 4 more soil tests in today.

Great! I agree on the alfalfa & your mixes, looking forward to hearing how they perform for you. I am super anxious to see how my two pure stands of RR alfalfa do. Between vacation and work, it’s been almost 3 weeks since I stopped to check progress. Looks like the weekend weather will be allowing me to get some spraying done which I am hoping is not over due.

It’s a combination of genetics, minerals, nutrition and age. On the size properties most of us manage, it’s impossible to manipulate all these factors on a reliable basis, particularly genetics. Still, the joy is in watching the various fruits of our labors that matters most, not just antler size.

Great! I agree on the alfalfa & your mixes, looking forward to hearing how they perform for you. I am super anxious to see how my two pure stands of RR alfalfa do. Between vacation and work, it’s been almost 3 weeks since I stopped to check progress. Looks like the weekend weather will be allowing me to get some spraying done which I am hoping is not over due.

3 weeks I think will be fine bud. When I’ve done RR beans I’ve sprayed around 2-4 weeks and always had a great kill off.

It’s a combination of genetics, minerals, nutrition and age. On the size properties most of us manage, it’s impossible to manipulate all these factors on a reliable basis, particularly genetics. Still, the joy is in watching the various fruits of our labors that matters most, not just antler size.

Elk I agree. Although, I will say this much- I have really altered my belief that genetics plays much of a role. Sure it helps but geographically I don’t believe taking deer in/from the Midwest and putting them in the NE will allow them to grow. On the reverse side of this a deer from the NE feeding on/in the Midwest will surley grow much larger. Much of this is nutrient and age based over genetics.

MSU did a 10 year study on this and I sincerely urge everyone who is interested to listen to this study. What they accomplished with a “poor genetic deer” area of MS, well speaks for itself and what I highlighted above.

Well no major updates. Spent the weekend at farm
  1. Pulled 2 stands
  2. Hung one new set on ridge plot, need to trim lanes but its PRIMEO
  3. Stonehendge and big plot have good growth (alfalfa,clover, chicory) but lots of grass. It is a first year planting so I am going to let it grow till AUGUST. I will then mow it, over-seed with oats/rye/turnips into the clover. I don't think I want to spray this year -thoughts?

Some pictures:
Finished that EURO mount on the dead head, happy how he looks in the cabin.
IMG_0110.jpg

One of two of the new cable gates I made, these are roads to plots
IMG_0116.jpg

Last my brother in lay and best buddy splitting some firewood, got about 1.5 cords split. My best bud lost his grandma the next day - keep his family in your thoughts and prayers, that was a bummer call to get on the ride home.
IMG_0114.jpg

Back