New properties

Can anyone give me some advise on getting permission to hunt more private properties please?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Welcome to the forum.

I will give a blind answer since we don't know your state or growing zone. First thing I would suggest is to go to any feed mills in your areas and see if farmers have crop damage. Those situations can produce farmers that want as many deer killed as possible. It is a sign of the times, but more ground every year has the hunting rights leased.

I would contact the local game warden and ask them if they had a suggestion. If you have kids, take them with you when you go knocking on doors. I live in TN and we have killed PY Bucks on public ground in Illinois and Ohio. I would see if there is any public hunting in your area.

If you want to find a hunting location, you have to work at it. When you have been told No at least twelve times then you know you have tried.

Last thing to do, is search on the internet for deer leases in your state. My son got us a farm to hunt in Ohio doing this very things about 5 weeks ago.

If you have a problem, the best way to solve it is to work it to death. Good luck.

You can find public hunting areas in your region of Illinois. Corp of Engineers land along waterways should give you chances.

Contact the Department of Natural Resources for a map. We hunted in the Shawnee National Forest over in Hardin County - southwest Illinois for a number of years. Soil was not as good so we moved North in the state. We left when license got so high.

During the off season walk up to someones door and knock, when they answer shake their hand, respectfully ask if you can hunt their land, be honest, friendly and respectful and you might have more luck than you think

Be sure to leave a card when you stop and visit. Things change, sometimes quickly. The city folks who bought the place in the country don't wan't the deer killed in the Fall but when they eat all of their hostas in the Spring their mindset changes.
When the change happens you want to be that nice young man/woman that stopped by.
I would also agree with bringing your kid(s) along. My son Jackson is just a loveable kid and is the sole reason I am able to hunt a 140 acre farm . The owners just love him to death. Several times a year I take Jackson for a visit just to say hello and let Jack do his thing. It's like taking a puppy to a football game. Suddenly no one cares about the football game.

Attachments

• upload_2016-11-21_11-4-45.png
    upload_2016-11-21_11-4-45.png
    889.4 KB · Views: 0
The single biggest thing you can do to increase your access is to make it a mutually beneficial arrangement. Nowadays that often takes the form of money exchanged in a lease but it doesn't have to. Show up during the off-season not two weeks before opener like every other nimrod, offer to bale hay, mow grass, shovel some snow. Hell start doing these first and then ask to hunt. No surprise that people take genuineness and a little give and take a lot better than someone just showing up at their door wanting something for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm lucky enough to have too many properties to hunt. I don't say that arrogantly, it's just how it worked out. I moved here from the city and now have a co worker, friend I met at a local airport, and a neighbor that have property. None are rich and only one likes to hunt.

I can see your side though, our family property, and even extended family property is only hunted by immediate family. It's nothing personal, we just have enough problems with poachers and trespassers as is.

I think that is your best angle - I was hunting Sunday morning and heard several shots that had to come from behind the house. Nobody else in our family was hunting, so it was probably poachers. Most landowners like to have someone they know around or in the woods.

I also 2nd the point about putting in time. One property I went up and cut hedge trees and honey locusts on a fence line all day. I only helped out this one day but it made a huge difference.

You may also offer to start out bow hunting. It's more difficult but that's how you can get someone to trust you and once they see you come and go a few times they might just let you bring a gun.

Be sure to leave a card when you stop and visit. Things change, sometimes quickly. The city folks who bought the place in the country don't wan't the deer killed in the Fall but when they eat all of their hostas in the Spring their mindset changes.
When the change happens you want to be that nice young man/woman that stopped by.
I would also agree with bringing your kid(s) along. My son Jackson is just a loveable kid and is the sole reason I am able to hunt a 140 acre farm . The owners just love him to death. Several times a year I take Jackson for a visit just to say hello and let Jack do his thing. It's like taking a puppy to a football game. Suddenly no one cares about the football game.
That's the method I used to use for getting permission to fish farm ponds and small lakes. That and I assured them I would share with them, or at least make photos of what I caught. Once I assured them that I never left gates open, and would tell them about any problems I saw, folks became more willing to let me park out by their barn, and tote a Kayak to their lake. It never hurts to turn on the charm.
(Don't cost a thing to be the nicest guy they ever met)

Back