Live from the stand 2021

Filled my 2nd doe tag during our Thanksgiving 4-day rifle opener. Also got some great footage of tracking my friend's deer. Watch until the end as I finally got a shooter on cam! Off to a great start....never had my doe tags filled this early.

Nice Video, well done.

I’ve still got a doe tag (which gives me the right to be out with a rifle during rifle season). I get out whenever I have a little time to check on the plots. We typically see 15-20 does and fawns each evening. If I pull the trigger, I’ll do it on the last day. Our rifle season ends in a week and is followed by a couple weeks of MZ season (either sex). This was the view I enjoyed this evening. There are few things I enjoy more than watching wildlife in a pretty setting. Although it’s been cold, deep snows are late this year which means the deer continue to focus on the winter Rye. This is a blessing as our corn has been nearly wiped out by the 70 or so turkeys that visit every day, and our acorn crop was below average this year. 736A7BFB-1F41-467A-9D2C-306E6D510D50.jpeg

Like Gene Autry, I’m back in the saddle again.

I tried to post this from my phone but had a weak signal. I saw a yearling four point and a grown doe just at dark about 20/25 hogs came pouring out of the woods on the left side of the plot about half way down the plot. Two shots fired but it was so dark I couldn’t really tell anything.3654F5B9-76E9-472B-80E5-CF2AF7A4A44E.jpeg

Ended my buck hunting this year at 8:15 am. I had been hunting my property every time I had a favorable wind but as with every year at this time you start realizing how small 90 acres is when you have 6 guys on 2 sides set up along your fence which runs through solid woods so it’s not an instance of the only cover or the only place for a stand due to crops or fields. The guys on my north side drove all the way through 225 acres to get to the back fence...lol. My hunt on Sunday morning was so discouraging when I had a button buck in front of me and then he headed toward our north fence and 3 shots rang out followed closely by 2 shots on my fence on the east side...I loaded up and went south to my old deer lease. My trail camera there had shown me one possibility with a photo I got late at night on the 26th. I hunted Sunday evening and saw one small 5 point buck, I hunted Monday morning and saw 13 does, I hunted Monday evening and saw a small 4 point buck and then I went out this morning and about 7:00 am I had a doe walk by at 60 yards acting funny with her tail straight out...I figured she was in estrus so I kept sitting...sure enough at 8:15 the deer I was after came along and I took the 60 yard shot with my old 30-30...he went about 25 yards...
3051f053726d96cc98edb00bed6ad6ec.jpg

89b3ee5cd8e46477e572f1c77809c598.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
NIce buck. You've got rocks there that look very similar to the PA mountains.

NIce buck. You've got rocks there that look very similar to the PA mountains.
That mountain I hunt has 4 different levels with a steep area and then a flat 4 times...my favorite step is the 3rd flat and that Boulder field is the steep leading up to it. That Boulder field runs all the way around the mountain. Sandstone and limestone...

Just a 4 pointer off in the distance eating winter wheat for the last 20 minutes of daylight.

And our last buck on the shooter list was in our lower clover plot 15 minutes after dark. So he must be bedding close by. Maybe my father can catch him on his feet before dark in the next 3 days.

Attachments

• 9BEDA8DD-1140-4605-8AFE-91DD6F35D609.jpeg
    9BEDA8DD-1140-4605-8AFE-91DD6F35D609.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 58C5DF8C-2601-43F3-9AC6-0541C8B56D13.jpeg
    58C5DF8C-2601-43F3-9AC6-0541C8B56D13.jpeg
    72.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Just a 4 pointer off in the distance eating winter wheat for the last 20 minutes of daylight.

And our last buck on the shooter list was in our lower clover plot 15 minutes after dark. So he must be bedding close by. Maybe my father can catch him on his feet before dark in the next 3 days.
He might end up being your biggest one next year...

He might end up being your biggest one next year...

I’m thinking so too. Besides archery season this is the earliest in the evening we have him on camera. Normally he is in the winter wheat and crimson clover around midnight.

Last edited:
I’m thinking so too. Besides archery season this is the earliest in the evening we have him on camera. Normally he is in the winter wheat and crimson clover around midnight.
That "normally" sounds very familiar. There's usually only a few times out of the entire hunting season when a mature buck is moving well in daylight, and, of course, all that hinges on hunting pressure too. My favorite three general time periods to hunt in Pa are around October 1st, around November 1st, and around December 1st.
So having him out close to daylight now is not real common, it must be food related, packing on carbs for the winter as the rut winds down. I'm watching a 4.5 yr old on one of my properties right now, and he's got a very regular pattern, but mostly nocturnal the past several weeks.

Camera activity has picked up so I thought I'd give it a go today. Had a spike come through about 15 minutes ago and currently watching a small doe feeding on what I think are hickory nuts about 40 yards out.
b6eebc0d4163c022a35bfc1289859f3f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Last day of PA rifle season, with tags mostly filled. Threw up a temporary climber to watch a crossing. Small buck moving through. Rainy weather from the front moving through.
0b3942ec40ca2d0bd7d8f2fcfdae2ff0.jpg
0aba4fc7ec393ce1a4471267fe00c322.jpg

Well guys, I have news. Yesterday we had a big storm roll through before and after daylight. Couldn’t hunt anyway because my son’s girlfriend was graduating and getting her masters at 10:00 am. I figured yesterday afternoon there would be lots of movement. Maybe somewhere, but not where I was. I almost turned the alarm off this morning but Sarge wanted to go pee and he always wins the whining contest. So…..I went ahead and took care of him, dressed and went to the stand out my back door, about 350/400 yards from the house.

I had four does in just at daylight, it being cloudy I had to use my Nikons to see them well. Two more does joined them about ten minutes later and a small buck was trailing them. I had determined pretty quickly that he wasn’t legal so I settled back to watch. He approached all those does and began to adopt the attitude y’all are all familiar with. Head down ears back, that bowed up almost sideways walk. I’m getting interested again now so I got behind my rifle just as the buck almost went out of sight on my left. All I could see was his rear end. Suddenly he began to back up and I could tell he was resisting something. I’m getting really interested now ! Directly, he backs completely into my view with a much bigger buck doing the honors. They’re not really fighting, just sparring. As soon as they broke, the does scattered and the bigger buck took out after them. No shot opportunity !

They all went into the woods and my hope for fresh venison went with them. Two does came out of the woods and back across my wheat and sure enough, the shooter was following. I’m on him now, safety off, finger barely touching the trigger, crosshairs on his shoulder. First mouth grunt and he pays no attention, second grunt is the same. I think they heard the third one in town, but so did he ! He stopped, I squeezed, he dropped on the spot. I watched him a couple minutes and then went and got my backhoe for the retrieve.

I don’t think I have any pics of this deer, maybe one from the spring, but I can’t be sure. One thing I am sure of though, you can’t win if you don’t enter !F028A9B0-79E7-4F1C-A74A-125D0E2DA314.jpeg4066D2BC-3259-4097-826B-32F85809E7AF.jpeg

Back