Live from the stand 2016!

Cool looking buck! Congratulations!

Rattled in a 3x4 this evening just for kicks. Saw 1 other small buck trailing a doe. Put the bow and archery gear away when I got home tonight.:( Only about 10 months till the next bow season starts!:D Tomorrow rifle season starts and runs for 9 days. I will get out a time or two but gets too busy in the taxidermy shop to get out much.

Story to follow.
37b11c37e69bdb2c8c3b50d4b2d2e582.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Congrats!

It is the deer season eve here at the Brown house. After a hectic afternoon that included a last minute hour and a half drive to pick up my oldest nephew at college when his car started acting up we are finally at the house and settling down for a short restless sleep. 4:45 comes early you know. Everything is ready to go...checked about a hundred times, but still feel like I am forgetting something. calling for 38 degrees and a NE wind at 6mph's, which isn't ideal for the field but with it blowing past two houses I don't think it will make a difference. Last minute safety speeches are done and both my nephews are pretty pumped up. I on the other hand can hardly sit still! ha ha I am going to try my best to get (at the very least) a video if/when my youngest nephew kill his deer and post it up for you guys to enjoy.
Good luck and safe hunting to everyone that will be out there in the morning!

Cool morning from central, IL. 29 degrees, our first real frost. Been a cold and slow morning so far. Watched a basket rack do circles at first light but that was only deer for 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Cool breezy 30's here at our place. Snuck in early about 5:00 am and had a couple deer move out of my way on my way in. No theatrics...

First sit in this stand after watching a bruiser cruise through this area late yesterday morning.

Just before first light I heard foot steps and really gutteral grunts coming my way but on my right side and I am sitting so the deer was on my wrong side. Big brutish buck at 3 steps. Gets buggary with swirling wind. Starts walking around me and gets a good whiff and blew out of here like shot from a cannon blowing with every bound.

Stand is moving 10 yards and turning 180 degrees before I leave this area today. Walked in in the dark and as it lightened up I can see scrapes all around me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is
6126f1a9248ba314d1e3f3abcad645aa.jpg
my office today. A little light snow last night and 27 degrees this morning. Four days in the mountains and we've collectively only seen two does ( with no for season up here).

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Oh, and apparently rifle season started up big time here this morning but I missed the memo and brought my bow (sarcasm).

Had to get down and check east fences few minutes ago because of a shot so close I couldn't tell if it was on us or across the fence.

Fwiw it is still archery only in Oklahoma... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far all we saw was a bunch of squirrels, a coyote that tried to sit in my oldest nephews lap, and a small buck that was high tailing it across the field in front of my oldest nephew. The youngest nephew was getting pretty squirmy so we came in to grab a bite to eat and relax then back at it.

Sitting on the edge of bedding here in Central KY at 12:09 pm. Word of advice to everyone this weekend, try to be in your stand from 9-12 each morning. Our group of three collectively saw 10 deer from sunrise to 9. We have seen over 30 from 9-12 including 4 bucks a piece, which were 10 different bucks in a 120 acre block of timber. With the rising full moon in the afternoon, the pm crowd has been showing up at last light and they're moving so much in the evening that they're bedding in the early morning. Had similar circumstances yesterday with a decent amount of pushing by younger bucks and the mature deer locked down on does.

Had this deer at 40 at 10:58am, tempting with a bow but want to see what he can be next year.
5b74ecf6d3b86b255aebc5a310d18bab.jpg

Hearing much shooting in central KY? In my area of western KY we have heard very little shooting. My neighbor killed a decent 6 pointer around 9 am...right now I would kill to have a fawn show up!

Hearing much shooting in central KY? In my area of western KY we have heard very little shooting. My neighbor killed a decent 6 pointer around 9 am...right now I would kill to have a fawn show up!
We are in Trigg County, and first light sounded like a 10 minute war towards LBL while the orange army took down a bunch of wayward yearlings, but almost no shooting from 7-9 and sparse since. I Have a feeling the last 30 MIN before dusk will be crazy as last night the bucks got pretty aggressive. Not to mention this lunar cycle gives everyone an extra 2-3 hours of "legal" shooting time on opening weekend.

I am hoping that they get active this afternoon....I have two boys that are raring to get some blood on em. Good luck to ya man.
Oh and I am in Carlisle county.

Back