Foodplotting In The Mountains...The Sequel

You tempt me with steak and lobster, but I'm trying to shed the 12 pounds I gained this winter. Got 6 of it off in last few days with DR mower.

Pictures are great as usual. I think your pears are maybe just a few days ahead of mine, but we are close.

Thanks for sharing my friend.
Yep with 75 deg record temps last week, lots of trees showing leafing. Of course since then its been snow and 20s. I hear you on the weight, with a nasty Jan and the flu bug rampant, I stayed away from gym and farm. I'm getting the" Dicky do " disease. My belly is sticking out more than my Dicky do, if you know what I mean. Sorry thats sick but its Monday.

Yep with 75 deg record temps last week, lots of trees showing leafing. Of course since then its been snow and 20s. I hear you on the weight, with a nasty Jan and the flu bug rampant, I stayed away from gym and farm. I'm getting the" Dicky do " disease. My belly is sticking out more than my Dicky do, if you know what I mean. Sorry thats sick but its Monday.

Yep, that's pretty sick...:) You need to come by my place for a week and I will let you run my "exercise machine" shown below. It will either cure that problem or make you not care anymore.

0PgUCNHh.jpg

Yep, that's pretty sick...:) You need to come by my place for a week and I will let you run my "exercise machine" shown below. It will either cure that problem or make you not care anymore.

0PgUCNHh.jpg
Yep you are so right those things are a workout and awesome. I used to have the Gravely model from years ago that this one is a copy of. Wore me out many a time but man was a beast. Only thing with it is that it had no safety in reverse and if you werent careful it would back you into a tree and chew you up. When it was in gear, it was just in gear and going until you moved to neutral. No handle saftey grab. Maybe we can switch off occassionally and you can run the chainsaw on my hill sides and I'll run that. Change of scenery might do us good.

Weather and time not allowed a lot of productive work at Farm. Luckily plots have done well and having combination of clovers to grains to brassica really takes some of the stress of the deer. Hingecutting also puts food on the ground these hard months.
My good friend came in for a visit and one afternoon we dropped a couple trees and spit a cord of prime redwood to burn next year. This fellow would do anything for me in a moments notice. Good to have. Slightly crippled but still swings a maul pretty well. We tag each other so hard most would think we were enemies.
96f2267d3caa9ee0537c2dfe39a8cbb5.jpg

We had snow every week in March. More than rest of winter. Last wk really was a curve ball.
a6831c2911bc2eae1163abe3d9ca7d92.jpg

Then 75 deg and following day had fire built. The hard hat on left if mantle belonged to my grandfather who went into the mines driving a mule train at the age of 12. To quote him he was the meanest man in the world till he changed his life at 50.
The clock to the left belonged to my great great grandparents who saved my dad from a foster home and took him in to a house of 13 kids to raise him.
I keep those items in sight to keep me grounded. I’m lucky.
a55d19d4714d30b3d8344927ec3edefb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I told you he would make his circle at my top field didn't I ? Actually this is an off spring from my grey beard as i think the old one has died. That would be on average as coyotes tend to have about a 7 year life span. His son learned the route well. From this spot about 75 yds sits a treestand on the inside corner of this alfalfa field with a bedding area just past there. From it I've watched coyotes pass by, bear feed on berries, and hawks grab squirrels, and of course deer browse, from that stand. Always interesting.
Good to have a variety of perennials and annuals planted as you just never know what tricks the weather, your time, or your finances may throw at land management.
RCNX0177B.jpg

Alfalfa, clover , and chicory are not the best supplies of winter food, but the deer still make there way here nightly to feed. Hingecuts along their entrance points provide winter browse, bedding , and edge feathering making the deer life alittle easier during the hard days of Feb and March, especially for the young fawn and her hopefully pregnant mother.
RCNX0156B.jpg
RCNX0193B.jpg

Went out to one of my favorite trout streams down the road but spent all my time taking pics and talking to a couple dedicated early rising fishers. World would be a better place if we could talk to each other a little more. About a mile past the gate and one can have the next 4 miles all to himself on this stream. The snow kept falling from the trees and soaking me and the camera. Reminded me of the story To Build A Fire by Jack London. If you've never read it, do so. Give you a perspective on survival. Solitude can be a good thing at times. Sometimes.
IMG_0042B.jpg

What a great day with Family and Friends. But I hope you spend time with the Faith portion of the 3 F's. It is what makes all the other blend. Rest assured I know that He will leave the 99 to rescue that 1 that is clinging to the edge of an abyss that he and the world may think he deserves to fall in to. Don't let the world blind you with its pessimistic, misdirected notions. I hope you had a happy Easter and I really do wish Peace for each of you. Have a good week, spring will come soon friends.

"What do you want me to do for you?'...they answered, 'we want our sight.' Jesus had compassion on them and touched their eyes. Immediately they received their sight and they followed him. "....Matthew 20.32-34

IMG_0117B.jpg

Agreed. You need to write a book. Take the best pictures and put a short, inspirational paragraph under each one. It would be a best seller. Something us hunters, and everyone else, could take to the stand, ballgame, you name it. We gave you the idea, up to you to make it happen!

You guys are too kind. I hardly have time to post on here anymore much less write a book. And not sure who would want the ramblings of a crazy mountain man? But if I would ever write one, I certainly have the cover to use thanks to Buckvelvet!! You crack me up friend.
I'll get back to legitimate food plotting posts if I can beat the new snow coming in this weekend and get in check all the drama. Frost seeding on snow only feeds the birds. Working for a living sux. Kinda.

Still a cold wet spring, and more this week but next week promises better. Few random pics.
The ugly. I know they have a purpose, but really, they need my hairdresser. I suppose you do know why they have hairless heads?
RCNX0471B.jpg

And the not so ugly. Like every man, chasing the girls even if it means trouble. You know you guys/gals have pimped out on a Saturday night to impress the ladies/men sometime in you life. Did I mention turkey like alfalfa plots too. My walking insecticide.
RCNX0163B.jpg

Deer kinda like alfalfa too. This is why I don't have to bale it. My mowing machines.
RCNX0325B.jpg

Sick of snow I tell you, Come on spring warm weather. This has gotten old a long time ago. How do they survive?? Hope this is last snow picture for you for the year.
RCNX0135B.jpg

RCNX0125B.jpg

Lot of trees down from storms this year. Natures hingecutting for me.
IMG_0004B.jpg

You did take notice didn't you as you walked your place?? Please tell me you did. If you don't learn to comprehend how nature does this, then you will always struggle with how to manage a food plot.
IMG_0012B.jpg

She loves me. She loves me not. Yea, she loves me.
IMG_0030B.jpg

IMG_0020B.jpg

And the lowly Dandelion.. Despised by many but one of the best free deer foods out there. I bet if you put its seed in a bag with a buck on it, it would sell millions. They love the stuff. And for us, great in salads, makes great coffee and tea, and some supposed medicinal qualities. And what a sign of oncoming spring!! Take notice around you, enjoy the snowless days to come. Peace.

"Look deep into nature, and then you will understand everything better." ---Albert Einstein

IMG_0032B.jpg

Great pictures as usual! I love following your property tour, our land is in the western NC high country (Ashe County) and looks very similar.

Great looking stuff going on dogghr, as usual. Sorry it’s been so long since I stopped by.
Glad you back and with your land thread. I thot of how you might be doing a couple months ago while visiting a snowbird friend in Fl who escapes northern PA near you for the winter.
Great pictures as usual! I love following your property tour, our land is in the western NC high country (Ashe County) and looks very similar.
Yea, main reason I started this thread on the old forum long ago was at that time most of the info being shared were those from flat land and mostly ag country. My situation was so different. It's a diff experience figuring out how to manage food plots and deer travel on hillsides. Certainly has its advantages and disadvantages . Wouldn't trade it for the world.
Much better variety of land and their manipulations on this forum. I like that.

That deer looking away in the snow was a really neat picture! The tom strutting about was a crisp 1 as well! I gotta transplant 40 fruit trees this weekend out of my nursery to the orchard, I'll take some shots of that and see how it goes. I bet it won't be as pretty as your scenery!

That deer looking away in the snow was a really neat picture! The tom strutting about was a crisp 1 as well! I gotta transplant 40 fruit trees this weekend out of my nursery to the orchard, I'll take some shots of that and see how it goes. I bet it won't be as pretty as your scenery!
Sounds like you have your work cut out. I'm sure pics will be awesome. I've rode motorcycle thru your county a couple times, beautiful country and kinda desolate like my area. Spent too much time once south of you in Muskegon draining a tank of bad gas I had gotten just down the road. Wasn't that bad but spent time pulling plugs, injectors, fuel filter before tried the simple and drained the gas. Fired right up and headed out in the fog to the UP.

I've heard those buzzards follow you around because they have heard how deadly you are when you go hunting. ;)

Good stuff. I love wildflowers and even dandelions when they don't pop up in my yard. Hard to believe they aren't native to this country and were brought here from Eurasia. Keep the good stuff coming.

Back