Foodplotting In The Mountains...The Sequel

Got a deal on some malnourished Walmart Dunstons. Nourished them back to life and rains finally gave me chance to plant. Some persimmons and chestnuts. Got lucky as usually hit rock foot down and takes 3 holes to get one good one. Hit lots of shale at a foot but they should do good. Guarantee now the drought will start. Hope not. No easy way to water.
5db896932d3017f680e6d4598fa18e02.jpg

I cut 8 ft of wire, use one T post and just interweave tags of cut. Easy to open if need be and quick. Would've been done quicker but forgot wallet when went to get fencing. Mind is weak. At least nothing broke down. Last years apple tree in background. Has grown about 2 feet.
4c81ec1f745ed684c7707dccd84602e4.jpg

Hey it was either this or drag them from the flat spot I cut on. It worked.
09494613acadf69463e52dfa4fd298da.jpg

Most my Silkies planted this yr were out of their tubes. As well as the Hazelnuts planted last yr. Removed most of the tube condoms/socks. Trees grow great in them and the one Silky Dogwood I planted w no tube had already died from browsing. Not surprised. The other is every tube w no sock had a wasp nest in it. No like that. Sprayed around all my fruit and tree plantings. Too wet for anything else to do.
60fbc25e7aa9fa829d34d2400b6b67af.jpg

In background from these Silkies is last falls brassica overseeded w WW and RC last Nov. Chest high. Fawning beds ready.
368e0dd919fbc7044ec533c68a63e5a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wish that Gallow guy from OK would get away from the wimpy cattle and start doing these. :) Guess they were in pen for meds or perhaps to wean. Full of calves.
IMG_0006B.jpg

Caught these guys following mama across the road. I came to stop, and they wouldn't cross till finally she came back and got them. Pretty cool to see.
IMG_0015B.jpg

And last, Fig this is the guy that is harrassing my stuff this year. Never have a problem except with young boar thats been kicked out on his own. Messed with my camera. Guess he didn't like how I had it aimed as the new position was actually better. He'll settle down before long once one of the old boars puts him in his place.
RCNX1059B.jpg

I had one nearly this close once during bow season, they can be a little nosy.
RCNX1062B.jpg

Brush is about waist high. He's got growing to do. Thanks for reading.
RCNX1071B.jpg

Excellent thread!

How's the bear density in your area? Any issues with fawn depredation or them tearing up fruit trees?

Excellent thread!

How's the bear density in your area? Any issues with fawn depredation or them tearing up fruit trees?
Heavy bear numbers. Season starts mid Sept thru end of Dec. Across road from me can use dogs, not on my side. They are seldom a problem for me and I know most by name. My resident sow has been with me for 8 years and produces triplets every 2 years. Boars come and go and I have had as many as 7 bear calling my 100 home some years. Never a problem, but they can scare the pee our of you if you spook one as it runs off. Haven't bothered my stands or trees for years. Took care of problem of numbers and trouble when quit throwing out corn even for camera survey. This camera is the first one I've had touched by bear for years. Like deer, they get to know who you are. My sow is still MIA this year and I fig she's bar hopping trying to conceive.

Always enjoyable reading your updates. Everything looks so green.
You have a talent for habitat work and a talent for sharing news about it.
Thanks guys. With 2 months of weekly monsoons, its like a jungle everywhere. Nearly got tractor stuck in place never had issue before, this past weekend.

Beautiful pics dogghr. Those fawns are awesome.

In the county next to me they had a bear trying to get in Wal Mart yesterday. Made the news with video.

If you decide to arm wrestle with any of those logging boys, I want a video of that!!!

Great shots of the competition dogghr. Our areas are similar in ways. This area has the annual Woodsmen days in nearby Booneville. Anne and i go most years especially if we are ready to make any purchases. Excellent deals and the latest offerings are sure to be found. The first time we went the charge was about $8 per person per day(8am to 5Pm) or $15 or so for all three days. I said to Anne who would want to spend three full days here? Well as we were leaving on the third consecutive day at 5pm There were lots of people we recognized that had also been there for the three full days! Wish I had went for the $15 ticket on that first day;would have saved a few bucks.

Resident sow is bar hopping...classic!

I'm looking at land in NW North Carolina. I know there are bears there but not sure how thick they are. Good to know you can share the property and still have good deer numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

If you decide to arm wrestle with any of those logging boys, I want a video of that!!!
What??? You don't think my Ramdom Cluster tree cuttings haven't given me great guns? Seriously when I was betting on who would win, I'd go with either the tall dude or the guy who just looked like a bull in the arms and legs. Pretty consistant.
Resident sow is bar hopping...classic!

I'm looking at land in NW North Carolina. I know there are bears there but not sure how thick they are. Good to know you can share the property and still have good deer numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
I do think bear take their share of fawn probably more than coyote. So that it why its important to create great fawning and bedding cover. Black bear will be everywhere soon, they are expanding like crazy across the country.
As for their control, best thing is simply never put out corn even for camera survey. Attracts them like flies. They will just lay there and eat till they puke, and I'm not kidding. As for interaction, most time all you see is their ass end as they are running away once they smell you. As I've said before, they are fun to watch. Have interactions with each other in a human like way. They can move thru the woods quieter than a deer. Can run 35+ mph. Can eat blackberry off a shrub without touching the stem yet tear a stump our of the ground with little effort.
Safety is don't surprise one, don't get in way of her cubs. If you come up on them, stay facing and back away waving arms and hollering. But trust me, they leave when they want to leave. I've stood within 20 yds of 4 of them before, doing all that and they just looked at me like I was crazy. I do typically carry pistol or spray but have never drawn either. Just part of a balanced habitat one has to accept.

Got a deal on some malnourished Walmart Dunstons. Nourished them back to life and rains finally gave me chance to plant. Some persimmons and chestnuts. Got lucky as usually hit rock foot down and takes 3 holes to get one good one. Hit lots of shale at a foot but they should do good. Guarantee now the drought will start. Hope not. No easy way to water.
5db896932d3017f680e6d4598fa18e02.jpg

I cut 8 ft of wire, use one T post and just interweave tags of cut. Easy to open if need be and quick. Would've been done quicker but forgot wallet when went to get fencing. Mind is weak. At least nothing broke down. Last years apple tree in background. Has grown about 2 feet.
4c81ec1f745ed684c7707dccd84602e4.jpg

Hey it was either this or drag them from the flat spot I cut on. It worked.
09494613acadf69463e52dfa4fd298da.jpg

Most my Silkies planted this yr were out of their tubes. As well as the Hazelnuts planted last yr. Removed most of the tube condoms/socks. Trees grow great in them and the one Silky Dogwood I planted w no tube had already died from browsing. Not surprised. The other is every tube w no sock had a wasp nest in it. No like that. Sprayed around all my fruit and tree plantings. Too wet for anything else to do.
60fbc25e7aa9fa829d34d2400b6b67af.jpg

In background from these Silkies is last falls brassica overseeded w WW and RC last Nov. Chest high. Fawning beds ready.
368e0dd919fbc7044ec533c68a63e5a9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Do you spray round up around your trees if so how close do you get to the tree.

Do you spray round up around your trees if so how close do you get to the tree.
Yep thats the great thing about tubes, just spray away at ground level.. Around my young pines that have no tubes, I just do so very carefully. Same with my caged fruit trees, Just am careful to stay ground level and not hit the leaves with spray.

Man I never fare well trying to move wire cylinders. 4 wheeler tractor truck doesn't matter I always have a mess. Good update. Hope your trees do well

I am trying to figure when it is ok to remove cages from pear trees

I planted Dunstan Chestnut,Apple and pear trees this spring (2-3 yr old) all have grow tubes but I was worried that round up would soak in the ground to the roots and kill the trees.

Man I never fare well trying to move wire cylinders. 4 wheeler tractor truck doesn't matter I always have a mess. Good update. Hope your trees do well

I am trying to figure when it is ok to remove cages from pear trees
Those cages are springy little things to move around.
For me, if I cage something, they are caged a long time. My deer may ignore plantings most the time, but come wicked days of Feb they even browse my rhododendron at the house which is at the bottom of preferred browse. Prob I wont uncage until they are at least 12 ft.
I planted Dunstan Chestnut,Apple and pear trees this spring (2-3 yr old) all have grow tubes but I was worried that round up would soak in the ground to the roots and kill the trees.
In theory, if Roundup doesn't get on the green or leaf part, then I won't affect a plant. It is there that it is absorbed and death occurs. It's absorbed quickly and that is why only and hour after exposure it can rain and plant will still die.
Now there are some arguments about gly usage and its temporary affect on water mitigation, but in the light levels you spray around a tree, should not be problem. I've never had an issue.

Those cages are springy little things to move around.
For me, if I cage something, they are caged a long time. My deer may ignore plantings most the time, but come wicked days of Feb they even browse my rhododendron at the house which is at the bottom of preferred browse. Prob I wont uncage until they are at least 12 ft.

In theory, if Roundup doesn't get on the green or leaf part, then I won't affect a plant. It is there that it is absorbed and death occurs. It's absorbed quickly and that is why only and hour after exposure it can rain and plant will still die.
Now there are some arguments about gly usage and its temporary affect on water mitigation, but in the light levels you spray around a tree, should not be problem. I've never had an issue.
Thanks for the info

its been a bit since I got caught up. Boy o boy the place looks great, how many HP is that tractor, thats a nice one!
Thanks Buck. It's 48 hp. I'd prob go next size or two up on HP if did again. It's got plenty for what I do, but the cab and A/C sucks a little power and I'm just one to go big or go home. But It does everything I need with no effort. It has the hydrostatic which I also like for what I do. A bit of a learning curve with a cab as I am one to listen to equipment starting to make odd noise if something is going wrong, and you don't do that as well in these. But to bush hog on a 90 deg day and no pollen while jammin to the radio. Pretty sweet.

Thanks Buck. It's 48 hp. I'd prob go next size or two up on HP if did again. It's got plenty for what I do, but the cab and A/C sucks a little power and I'm just one to go big or go home. But It does everything I need with no effort. It has the hydrostatic which I also like for what I do. A bit of a learning curve with a cab as I am one to listen to equipment starting to make odd noise if something is going wrong, and you don't do that as well in these. But to bush hog on a 90 deg day and no pollen while jammin to the radio. Pretty sweet.
merle haggard would be blasting, I just sing to my self on my tractor, drives my cousin nuts! hahaha!

Back