Foodplotting In The Mountains...The Sequel

Went after work today to ski with this daredevil. I taught his dad to ski when he was 4 and he would soon best me when racing down a mountain. He would go on to be on the ski team at WVU. Not sure this young fellow has the same fearless genes yet but I do know I will sleep good tonight. Sure had fun and brings back memories. Hope he likes to manage my oaks some day in the future.
22a71bf463d75ce18f1a2d5354daa131.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ahhhh...Time spent with grandkids. Priceless! We only have such a short window to be involved in grand children lives before they're grown. And let us grandparents never forget that it's not our grandchildren's responsibility to form a relationship with us. It's our responsibility to be involved in their life and form a relationship with them that they will hopefully always be thankful for. Never tire of catching up on your thread.

Ahhhh...Time spent with grandkids. Priceless! We only have such a short window to be involved in grand children lives before they're grown. And let us grandparents never forget that it's not our grandchildren's responsibility to form a relationship with us. It's our responsibility to be involved in their life and form a relationship with them that they will hopefully always be thankful for. Never tire of catching up on your thread.
Triple those are some really wise words. Indeed it is our responsibility. I work toward that but quite honestly never thot it thru like that. Thanks.
We did have a great time, and I was wore out. I did get a little grief, but not much, from his mom for not having him wear his helmet. He even mentioned it but I told him we'd be alright. Really is a good idea I just don't think too much along the idea of helmets and pads. I'll do better next time. LOL
Is the high tensile picture from Paint Bank?
Sure is Brian. Hope you have had the pleasure of eating at the restaurant down there. While I prefer their fresh Angus over the buffalo, the real meal is to have the Loggers breakfast. Stack of flapjacks, 2 eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy all piled into a small plate. And have never seen a butter urn like they have at the tables. Damn good stuff.
Maybe we should meet there one morning for breakfast?? Its basically just over the mountain from my farm.

That is one fine looking young man, and his eyes are brighter than the snow!
Thanks, and he was actually dying of a cold. Probably shouldn't have gone but…
I know younger generations get trashed, but their knowledge just over whelms me. And their attention to all things around them is amazing. Being an optimist, I do think that this world will see great things from many of these young people. I love hanging out with people much younger than myself. I sometimes shake my head, but for the most part they are an amazing group of people. My staff are of the younger crowd and they are by far some of the hardest working people I know. And while the younger/ under 35, may seem to not respect the older crowd, they really soak up the knowledge if you just share it in a proper way. Like a puppy, they just need the training to let them think and act properly.. I love them.

Sure is Brian. Hope you have had the pleasure of eating at the restaurant down there. While I prefer their fresh Angus over the buffalo, the real meal is to have the Loggers breakfast. Stack of flapjacks, 2 eggs, bacon, sausage, biscuits, gravy all piled into a small plate. And have never seen a butter urn like they have at the tables. Damn good stuff.
Maybe we should meet there one morning for breakfast?? Its basically just over the mountain from my farm.[/QUOTE]

Well, you've made me hungry just talking about it. Sounds good.

I actually proposed to my wife on that road on a motorcycle ride back in 2005.

Speaking of helmets n pads...How did any of us manage to survive our childhoods? Was thinking the other day how vulnerable I felt to unbuckle my seatbelt to grab something. When I was 17 I cut the seat belts out of my car so they wouldn't get in the way.

As with many, just a crazy winter. Temps in 60s midweek then snow and single digits as the week ends. I think my herd should fare well going into spring. I need that for some rebuild. Anxious to get back to farm as obligations have kept me away.
Hit the slopes up the road today with good friend and hunting buddy and of course my son/ hunting buddy. We've had great times hauling deer out of the woods over the years and today was awesome as well. Good friends... so valuable to ones sanity.
2bdcf051509ab673d9c82f98a49fabfe.jpg

A few pics from today.
Who says alfalfa isn't an attraction into late winter? Mix it with clover and chicory and let the deer do the mowing and baling for you. I think this is going into its fourth year.
RCNX0091B.jpg

But don't neglect native browse. Not even sure what is so attractive near my waterhole, but they don't pass without some buffet time, as they make their way to the bassica , rye, wheat, oat, and clover field.

RCNX0659B.jpg

Honestly, I'd choose developing native browse and cover over any foodplot that I plant. Works year round, wet or drought.

RCNX0947B.jpg

Always debate as to whether to provide minerals at a salt lick. But until the deer tell me they don't care for it , then I will continue to provide. Have used many a brand and can't tell much diff in any of them. I do know the deer prefer it in damp soil mix the best.
IMG_0001B.jpg

Water holes are not real productive for me, since nature does it best. This pocket covered with deer tracts.
IMG_0005B.jpg

Only time I enter my sanctuary is mid winter. I went in today, looking for beds, rubs, trails. With the good hard mast we had this year , sign was scattered as would be expected since deer meandered thru the forests feeding on acorns. This sanctuary is about 15+ ac and I have another of about 10 and several other small ones scattered. In reality, much of my land is a sanctuary since only 2 of us typically hunt it and we keep access to a minimum.
IMG_0013B.jpg

As with hardwoods, soft wood pine are under attack by various insects and stress. But with death, come a more open canopy, and food with new growth and even the bug holding stump for many an animal.

IMG_0020B.jpg

Acorns? Did someone say acorns? After two hard failure years this year finally produced a decent crop, and the deer and bear and others really enjoyed them. Pay attention to the ones laying on your ground. Are they still viable if not eaten? Have they buried to provide new growth of the forest? Have insects destroyed some?
IMG_0026B.jpg

Yea this is one of two oaks standing together. At well over 100 feet, its crown provides a ton of food for a variety of animals. Deer come out of the santurary to feed at these trees each evening. Some disease present if you look close. Will I cut this. Hell no. It's a money maker for me on the hoof providing food and seed for future growth I may never see. Follow that Mighty Oak thread and learn of its intricacies. Amazing.
IMG_0032B.jpg

And why not cut it for its timber value? I've shot 6 deer, two bucks, and two turkey with a bow from this stand which sits just past that white oak. One reason why.
IMG_0034B.jpg

One reason for my walkabout today was to check for browse. It is nearly non existent thanks to nice winter and good hard and soft mast. Heres some hinge cuts done month ago. My popup blind sits to left center. Look close. I've shot 2 bucks from it in late season, which is the only time I will hunt my fields. Leg bone from my deer this year in foreground.:rolleyes:
IMG_0036B.jpg

A little barbed wire for Okie to drool on.

IMG_0044B.jpg

And some AO that I intend to work for Geo to dream about.
IMG_0040B.jpg

And last. Thanks for reading. Remember to let your land teach you. You might be surprised what it knows.

"Advice is like the snow..... the softer it falls, the longer it dwells upon, and the deeper it sinks into the mind." -----Samuel Coleridge

RCNX0260B.jpg

I like that last pic. I agree with you about preferring to manipulate native browse to planting food plots. Food plots certainly have their place but native browse has a lot of benefits when it comes to costs as well as weather and pest issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Man I missed a lot! I get so busy after deer season its hard believe how fast time goes. Great buck my friend, enjoyed walking along through your words. I agree on that fence, I love the look of the high tensile wire. Fence building is high on the list this year. Good to see you getting out with the grand kids. Food plots in the mountains are looking great as always. I'd like to ride the old '78 down to see you this summer. Just got the tank back from my neighbor who killed it on the paint job.

Man I missed a lot! I get so busy after deer season its hard believe how fast time goes. Great buck my friend, enjoyed walking along through your words. I agree on that fence, I love the look of the high tensile wire. Fence building is high on the list this year. Good to see you getting out with the grand kids. Food plots in the mountains are looking great as always. I'd like to ride the old '78 down to see you this summer. Just got the tank back from my neighbor who killed it on the paint job.
I hear ya on being busy. I don't even know where my time goes, haven't been to farm in weeks. Nothing on my list done to any extent this year. So be it. Always plans but short on time, I want to work fences last 2 years and still nowhere with that. Good thing I'm not running cattle like D, as they would be free range.:mad:
Yes def you need to ride that bike down. We might even manage to escape to the twistys for a day or two if you want. Post up a pic of the tank, bet its awesome.

Been on the go with little time at the farm until past weekend. Went down to see a good friend and escape snow and cold in FL. We were college roommates and have stayed good friends. Miss contact for few years at a time then catch right up. Time changes things. So different than the days when our only worry was where's the next pitcher of beer. He's a damn yankee from north PA and I'm an inbred southern boy. Plenty of ragging between us.
I didn't ignore my habitat management and still observed Dear behavior. And maybe downed some seafood. That's a big crawdad back home.

9c0e1b049ee371fce8c6795ade872c83.jpg

8aeccc3efdfcf9a3ac92f7d906167a73.jpg

Did get to see my now Tarheel daughter. They have had my tractor since fall while they rework a small farm they just bought. She doesn't care for hunting but loves all things outdoors. Even has her grow corner in the house for outdoor planting. Off my payroll is what counts.

dc897562fe3fbf1e5a9e4765d00b12a1.jpg

0971828f957b57587edce7af9461601c.jpg

Now for some farm pics....

Greenbrier , MFR and Pear trees getting start. My deer will browse MFR some but I prefer the GB. Either can overwhelm fields or clear cuts here.

e6ef73f1d3ffea7afd727679ea8a7cc1.jpg

bb99f5ba82e5c7a092e61a1e854a6eab.jpg

Some talk of deer bedding area. This would be typical of a buck bed you can see. The wind was howling but in this break off the ridge it was nearly calm. Wind at back and visual down hill with easy escape.

afb2ea509c19d0e9af724c25b2d639b1.jpg

When doing your hingecut areas it can help to cut channels such as this. As you can see, deer trail follows as wanted. And the trail continues past this prime rut treestand which sits between Random Cluster # 2 & 3.

c6ae569fcd9a1db6cf60e8ab0244d0b9.jpg

f576c53220f2dbb383950821635d971c.jpg

This why I hinge. A few trees dropped and light invades and stem count explodes. And where does the deer trail pass?? Along this edge that butts against open wood and a fence line. Edge. Even humans will tend to follow such thru the terrain. Some subtle some obvious.

ca65bd1fb4b0fb5230f150dac86f91af.jpg

Sat on a stump just observing this area for about 30 min with dog looking at me like I was crazy. This has always been the best plot for mature bucks. Combination of access and thermals and factors I just can't figure out. Have shot 2 mature bucks within 100 yards of it as they scent checked downwind for hot does.
Will revert it back this fall to the perennial clover plot it once was. Thanks for reading.

8ca36c378454bb35e41f0bd432b2587d.jpg

Back