Food Plot Location

Tommyyboyy05

Hey all!
So this is my second year managing my family 80 acre hunting property. We got this land with absolutely nothing done to it a year ago. So far I'm managed to put in a couple smaller food plots and was thinking about adding one or two more. I just wanted some feedback on the possible locations of these plots. I know there are so many variables, but just wanted any helpful advise! (Btw, our property is in Central WI.) The two northeast plots are already in place. The blue is hinge cut bedding areas and the pink lines are atv trails. Thanks!

35567730.JPG

Are you using your atv trails for access? Right off the bat I'm not a fan of plots or bedding right on the property line.

I have one access point on the northwest corner and access on the southeast corner. The areas in blue that are right on the property line are just areas I've found beds in so those 2 areas aren't hinge cut. My theory was to have a lot of bedding in the middle of the property then food plots on the outskirts to draw them out. I was gonna put a half acre plot in the middle of the property just to help the deer want to bed in that area a little more but I wouldn't hunt it at all.

I think your Access is South West corner and North East Corner. At least that is what the map label indicate.

Wayne

IMO, I wouldn't put the plot in the middle. Kinda contradicts what your trying to do. Deer are gonna be heading to the ag fields regardless.
Looks like you have a couple nice funnels as well.

You are right wbp my fault. Alright yeah I've been going back and fourth on wether I should put that there or not. Thanks for the response

I'll restate my original thoughts......sound familiar? :)

Green = plots
push a waterhole in that marsh (blue)
plant some NWSG in most of the east field to help deer feel hidden and to hide from neighbors (yellow)
I'd also stop using that middle road and cut some pockets in your timber areas to enhance bedding (red)

00small15614563_zpsk3mne95q.jpg

The trail that leads from your SW entry point to your two food plots and eventually off your land looks like primo murder hole potential, sir. Hunt the wind accordingly, depending on their direction of travel, and use the correct access point, of course...but I would hunt the crap out of that area.

TommyyBoyy

Welcome to the forum. I was looking at your map and reading the thread and I got confused until I realized the access on the map was likely correct.

Glad you are here and looking forward to what you share. If I can help you, please let me know.

You picked a good first thread - you will get some good ideas to consider.

Wayne

CAS I still have your image saved on my computer from the other thread! Just didn't get too many other responses on that one so thought I'd try give this forum a shot :)

Last edited:
TommyyBoyy

Welcome to the forum. I was looking at your map and reading the thread and I got confused until I realized the access on the map was likely correct.

Glad you are here and looking forward to what you share. If I can help you, please let me know.

You picked a good first thread - you will get some good ideas to consider.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne! I really all the help I'm getting already. I know the best way to succeed is to learn from mistakes and since I really don't have much experience in land management I figure I should get as much advise on possible so I don't make any costly mistakes right off the bat haha

I think you should pick 1 spot and work on it and monitor the changes........one thing that is frustrating to me in my improvements is how deer react to your changes. Some GREAT stands 2 years ago are getting pulled this winter because deer just don't consistency walk there anymore....these changes have been driven by the addition of food plots, bedding, etc

Pick the low hanging fruit (easiest projects) and see how it helps/changes how you hunt. Hate to spend TONS of time/money to have the deer do the opposite of what you want!

I think you should pick 1 spot and work on it and monitor the changes........one thing that is frustrating to me in my improvements is how deer react to your changes. Some GREAT stands 2 years ago are getting pulled this winter because deer just don't consistency walk there anymore....these changes have been driven by the addition of food plots, bedding, etc

Pick the low hanging fruit (easiest projects) and see how it helps/changes how you hunt. Hate to spend TONS of time/money to have the deer do the opposite of what you want!
I agree CAS. The addition of the two food plots in the northwest corner helped dramatically. There was sign in the area when I first scouted the property, but nothing close to what it is now. That is what is driving me to work on another area of the property and hope to have the same affect.

Back