Fall Food Ploting

John Paul

Started putting seed in the ground today for Fall. 2 plots down another 21 to go. This is a modified LC mix with a 4 acre corn screen.

i-pXPxd4W-XL.jpg

i-JJrRNsP-XL.jpg

Looks good! What's the length/width of the 4 acre corn screen?

No clue, it's longer than wider. Google Earth says it's 3.85 ish acres, I rounded up! :)

It's about 250 yards by 75 ish yards on Google Earth. Funny oblong shape though, follows a treeline along a creek on one side.

Last edited:
Two more finished this afternoon. Been dry lately (did receive 1/2" last night) so haven't put much seed in the ground. Hopefully this high pressure will move out soon and bring some rain with it.

1 acre planted in a brassica mix
i-jnmjvsV-XL.jpg

A little over 2.5 acres of modified LC mix.

i-5sptSsK-XL.jpg

23 food plots. I stress just getting 3 done on time.

Looks great.
Todd

I've added quite a few new spots this year. Sometimes it takes twice as long just to drive equipment around than to plant the seed once you get to the spot.

Drilled more clover into this spot and will clean up the grass with cleth in mid October.
i-kZmZQ5H-XL.jpg

Love this food plot around this old barn. Tons of deer like to visit this plot all season. Drilled a trio of cloverS and some rye.
i-cqb523z-XL.jpg

Planted a modified LC mix here at this new spot.
i-MF6tT6R-XL.jpg

Last edited:
Another new spot. 3 acres of brassica mix.
i-tPDQZLZ-XL.jpg

A small brassica plot we won't even hunt, just more food.
i-Zwwc7s3-XL.jpg

One of our most productive plots. Clover up close and a clover, alfalfa and chicory mix in the back finally coming up after our recent rain.
i-hzFpPXM-XL.jpg

View from a new stand, need to trim one more limb in photo and we are good.
i-tmdTrtC-XL.jpg

Last edited:
I can't really tell from your pictures, but what type of seed bed are you drilling into? I'm going to start planting here in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering if I can plant the LC mix straight into summer grass that's about 18" tall. It already appears to be dying a natural death. No spraying. No mowing. Just no till drill and see what happens. Am I crazy?

I can't really tell from your pictures, but what type of seed bed are you drilling into? I'm going to start planting here in a couple of weeks, and I'm wondering if I can plant the LC mix straight into summer grass that's about 18" tall. It already appears to be dying a natural death. No spraying. No mowing. Just no till drill and see what happens. Am I crazy?
Cutman, I don't have any no till experience but I would say you would be ok with it. I have done spread some clover and chickory into standing grass and have had it take just fine.

All types. Most I have sprayed, some I've sprayed and disked, and some I mowed first then planted straight into grass then sprayed after. I can't pat myself on the back just yet till I see the final results. If grass is starting to die and not so tough you should be fine.

Back