Elk Meadow Farm

Best of luck on the trees. Good variety and stark produces good stuff
My wife and I drove the 2 hours to there nursery and picked up the trees and I was quite impressed with their operation. They let us pick out the trees we got. We went thru them and picked out the straight ones with the best looking roots. They actually just started back to work this past monday for the season.

If you get a chance to get some Kieffer pears you should try those. They will self pollinate and they are very hardy and put off a lot of pears...

Place looks great! I want to log some of ours off as well and a forester is coming next week...

If you get a chance to get some Kieffer pears you should try those. They will self pollinate and they are very hardy and put off a lot of pears...

Place looks great! I want to log some of ours off as well and a forester is coming next week...
I will have to get one of those. It pays to use a consulting forester because he will be responsible to make sure that the contract is followed and and that everything is returned to the way it should be. I have alot of tree tops on the ground and hope the deer start bedding in those and the turkeys will have alot of nesting opportunities. Good luck with your timber harvest.

We got a lot of work done yesterday with the help of my wife Sheila and my dad Art. We started out by tilling, cultipacking seeding ladino and chickory into 2,1 acre plots. We then put down weed barrier and mulch on the fruit trees we planted last week. We then capped off the day by burning off a 7 acre field and what a fire it was.
6433d5ef7e1060c7f98b23a69a6fa1a6.jpg
9c1b6903402e6bb4c9c273545faa9c84.jpg
5d5b065162f98b34aed0b4f334f83dac.jpg
6bdf7c9d1271c02fb9fcecb635b5c789.jpg
60f57d6ba9722564cb881119370ab97f.jpg
178f08edf5c7771df116765bb186496b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Went out to the farm at first light this morning to listen for turkeys and only heard one far off. Wind was blowing and cloudy. Worked on a couple projects today. Last Saturday while tilling my plots the Ford 3000 would only go in 1st gear low and 5th gear high. I did some research and found out the shift fork had jumped out of the slot. I pulled the shift cover and used a screwdriver to put it back in neutral and put the cover back on and it shifted just fine. I was sweating that all week. My next project was to plant the Kieffer pear we picked up at Rural King on Friday. That was the 12th and last fruit tree to plant for this year. The clover/chickory plots we planted last weekend are just starting to germinate. We had about an inch of rain over the last week. All fruit trees are showing signs of life as they are either budded, leading out or blooming. Swung by the coop Saturday and picked up 2 sacks of soybeans and a sack of forage sorghum courtesy of NWTF. I plan on planting those the week of 4/24.
522365abb11c157e5d5fe681d8265f8a.jpg
6078a2d3c72fec5b23694643258b3a19.jpg

We found this flowering tree last spring and we think it is a crabapple. It blooming again and was being smothered by cedars in a fence row so we cut down the cedars today and released it to give it some room.
13a1da33bf2325808e19df0566c6326c.jpg
e5f8e337a04069ec2177c29c7c3b33bf.jpg
fdd692c8c89608b4ea80668428860d8e.jpg

Sat, your pics made me smile. Went for a walk today--up here, snow is still knee deep. Thought of blossums or tilling land is stil 6weeks away..... it's nice to be reminded what spring looks like.

Sat, your pics made me smile. Went for a walk today--up here, snow is still knee deep. Thought of blossums or tilling land is stil 6weeks away..... it's nice to be reminded what spring looks like.
Wow Elk thats alot of snow. I bet you cannot wait to get going on your spring chores. We had very little snow this year. We are fortunate to be able to get out this early and get some work done.

That looks like a crabapple to me as well......we have several around our place too. I am actually going to start top working all of them because all they produce if little hard as hell apples about the size of a pea. Hope to get some other crabapple to graft to it in hopes they are more beneficial in a few years.

We picked up a Kieffer pear on Friday at Rural King and planted it yesterday.

Yesterday we spent the day burning brush piles which were mostly cedar. It was an area around our largest pond we cut down last year. We had a bunch of rain over the last week and the place was soaked and all the ponds are full. This one of our biggest oaks and it is below the pond. My wife thinks this doe is licking her lips for the fruit that will grow here.
1b6a5d03222da2452fa318eeb892b8b7.jpg
2b166a585b8207ccba0e3ea214978548.jpg

Somehow I got behind on your thread, got all caught up tonight. Looks like you had a great season and are off to a great start this year. Those trees are going to be awesome for you, nice, quality job on the planting & caging. I've adopted the same approach, plant bigger, better trees and protect them all over mass quantities of seedlings that will take years to produce, if they survive. Place is looking great my friend.

Went to the property today at day break to listen for toms gobbling. Heard 5 and a far away shot early. Today was youth turkey season. We walked around looking for morel mushrooms and didn't find any, it may be a little early but folks are finding some. We stumbled upon this little Timberdoodle/ Woodcock. Momma flushed and acted wounded so we just looked around for a nest of eggs but only found 1 chick. It never moved the whole time I took pictures. I mowed down what was left
Of my corn stalks and will spray Gly next weekend in preparation to plant the end of the month. This year I planting soybeans, forage sorghum and sunflowers. We put out 2 Double Bull blinds in preparation for Missouris turkey opener on 4/17. Got a pic of a nice buck track in a new clover plot we planted last month
68f82f52cd7d1547b3622635ae1d19d3.jpg
0add970b41827dbdcd02f8c0a54dd32f.jpg

Back