Eclipse effect...

While scientific research on the subject is sparse and inconclusive, I believe (and if I do, you should, too) your plants will immediately think its night and also come to the conclusion that winter is near. This will trigger two responses. Photosynthesis will stop. It's unclear if the chlorophyll will leach from the plant. If it does, then there's a risk of transition to vampire plants. Second, since plants have one purpose, flowering and seed production will be accelerated by the perceived shortened day. We know this as the photo-period. The practical result will be the massive production of soybeans, turnips, clover seeds, rye grain, oats and other seeds, fruits, and vegetables. Be especially careful of Daikon radish. The North Koreans may mistake them for missiles aimed at their country. The temptation to be observing your food plots when this happens is great. However, caution would dictate you be far away. Trust your trail cameras to record the event. Never look directly at an exploding brassica. We all know this is a temporary event. Plants, though, having no mind of their own will misinterpret the circumstances. The results are described above. When the full sun reappears, the plants that have mostly exhausted their life-cycle resources anyhow will immediately commit suicide. Be ready to replant tomorrow. Best you go buy more seed today BEFORE anyone else realizes what a catastrophe of epic proportions will soon be on us!

Will there be whitetail traffic jams observing this phenomenon? Will cutman be illegally hunting in the dark? Will all of Native's pears fall to ground, including that mysterious alien plant? Will dgallow's cows stop mob grazing? And what about those redneck blinds, will they have to come down? And just think about those confused chestnuts sent out by wbpdeer?

Last edited:
I can certainly see how an event like this would bewilder early mankind, but I just don't see this being as chaotic as many portray it will be. My area we are looking at about 92% eclipse......to be honest I really could care less. Yes it's going to be an interesting experience to witness, but the nut jobs and crazies out there seem to think that essentially mother nature has no sense and yet fails to consider that all those species of animal out in the wild have been around for far longer than mankind! If anything the animals are going to watch those silly humans freak out!

As far as the OP goes.....your plants will push themselves out of the ground buy their roots and attempt to migrate to the sunlight......if you had a heavy seeding rate you may witness essentially a stampede!!!!

Here I thought it would be about the same as if the clouds blocked the sunlight for a couple minutes---NOT so, they need to sell lots of special glasses and take off a day from work to witness this "wonder". What was I thinking? Democrats will miss it because they all have their heads in places the sun can't get to anyway.

Here I thought it would be about the same as if the clouds blocked the sunlight for a couple minutes---NOT so, they need to sell lots of special glasses and take off a day from work to witness this "wonder". What was I thinking? Democrats will miss it because they all have their heads in places the sun can't get to anyway.
This is the only time they pull them out to get a breath of fresh air, as it seems normal.

Gotta admit that I'm excited for this. We are in the path of totality here in Charleston. If the farm was in the path I would absolutely be deer hunting during the eclipse, but it's just a little too far south.

My specific area we are to be 92% so it should be interesting. I figure it will be like some other things in my life that seem to only happen not nearly as often as it should.....lots of drama leading up to it....when the time comes it lasts for less than 3 minutes....better off being dark outside and it isn't nearly as gratifying as some would have hoped for. Yep....... add another one to the list!:D

Seriously, I told my daughter to watch her chickens as they will prob go to roost when dark comes on. Not sure if they will then try to lay eggs again but might.. It is interesting how it really does affect plants and animals at the time. Just a shame humans are so stupid, they said on news don't drive down highway with eclipse glasses on!!! Really?? We need to thin the gene pool.

Wow! The eclipse and then there was corn. Amazing

4gaibj7.jpg

Gotta admit that I'm excited for this. We are in the path of totality here in Charleston. If the farm was in the path I would absolutely be deer hunting during the eclipse, but it's just a little too far south.
You're excited about having less legal shooting hours this year? And, is it legal to hunt after dark in South Carolina? What if you're in your stand just as it starts and that big trophy buck steps out of the cover because he's confused by the eclipse, but it's too dark to see to shoot?

The eclipse has come and gone, and it was awesome. One of those things that I'll never forget. Hopefully other people here witnessed the 100% totality...I know I'll never forget it. I watched it with my grandmother, mother, father, and girlfriend, and there was lots of oooing and ahhhing going on.

Yep it's all fun and games till someone loses an arm. Lol. Grandpups had it going tho. 97% dark here. Try to make it another 28 yrs to see the next one. Now that might be special. I think most of us see more amazing acts of nature on our farms weekly than most these people in a lifetime.
7f56d398278ca11c169686c1e2e3ccbb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back