Crown Vetch

It's invasive in many areas and an extremely low preference plant for deer. I had some on a bank at the edge of my yard where deer come up and eat practically everything - but I never saw any browsing on it.

To quote Dr. Craig Harper, "If you are considering including a nonnative vetch in a planting mixture for wildlife, don't!"

I love hairy vetch in my plots. Is that non-native?

It is non-native, but it is less invasive and somewhat more palatable for deer.

When I planted my prairie, I killed the fescue in what was once an old two-acre tobacco patch. Before any of the NWSGs germinated, I had an outstanding crop of hairy vetch to pop up out of nowhere. My dad told me that my grandfather used to plant it as a cover crop there. It had been 30 years since any vetch was seen or planted in that field, so the seed had been lying dormant for that long.

I mowed it a time or two that first year, and eventually the NWSGs came on and took it over, but I still see an occasional hairy vetch plant here and there, which is nothing to be concerned about.

When I was a kid, crown vetch is what they planted on the steep hillsides along highways. Some folks thought when they saw deer along the highway in the early spring, they were eating the crown vetch. It was actually road salt from winter that attracted them.

What is the best vetch for getting some ground cover/organics on old strip mine clay where nothing seems to be taking hold?

What is the best vetch for getting some ground cover/organics on old strip mine clay where nothing seems to be taking hold?
For an old strip mine in clay soil, the first thing that comes to mind is compression. Heavy equipment compresses clay quite a bit. Unless you have already done that, I'd start by relieving compression. I've reclaimed some old logging decks where the top soil was removed and they would not even grow weeds. After relieving compression with a sub-soiler, I was able to get Winter Rye to grow and crimson clover to grow. You may not even be able to get them to grow on old strip mine soil. Weeds may be the best bet to start.

For an old strip mine in clay soil, the first thing that comes to mind is compression. Heavy equipment compresses clay quite a bit. Unless you have already done that, I'd start by relieving compression. I've reclaimed some old logging decks where the top soil was removed and they would not even grow weeds. After relieving compression with a sub-soiler, I was able to get Winter Rye to grow and crimson clover to grow. You may not even be able to get them to grow on old strip mine soil. Weeds may be the best bet to start.

Great point. I was looking at it in its plant devoid sandiness and didnt really think "how did it get like this and why is so naked?" Compaction makes sense. I am not sure a subsoiler is in my future or this area is a priority. I honestly was looking for the easy button on getting some organics there and thought vetch and trefoil were mentioned in other circles for sandy areas. Again; I never thought of compaction

Great point. I was looking at it in its plant devoid sandiness and didnt really think "how did it get like this and why is so naked?" Compaction makes sense. I am not sure a subsoiler is in my future or this area is a priority. I honestly was looking for the easy button on getting some organics there and thought vetch and trefoil were mentioned in other circles for sandy areas. Again; I never thought of compaction
If it won't grow weeds because of compaction, you'll struggle with whatever you plant.

Back