Chestnut oaks

Bowtech64

I picked up about 50 large chestnut oak acorns this weekend and want to start them inside.Anybody have any experience with this. I have two trees on my property.One is a large tree and the other is a tree with about 5 trees coming out of the mother tree that was cut down years ago. The large tree is loaded but so is the smallet tree. The smaller tree is about 30 foot tall. I would b like to get more started. I really don't want to direct seed. I like to watch them grow at home and then plant with tubes. Any Information Is Appreciated. THANKS

They germinate in the fall. If you place them in slightly moist peat moss in the fridge, it should slow root development for seeding into pots next spring. Ive never done it, but thats what i would do.
I just finished a backpacking trip in the Smokies and chestnut oaks were putting on a show. Lots of acorns and tall, stately trees. I have some on my property planted as seedlings and are now 20 feet tall in some cases, theyve produced a few acorns.
I wouldnt want a property full of them over other oaks, but a few here and there are nice.

I have dozens of 50-60 footers on my property. They seem to have acorns every 2 or 3 years.
Someone on the previous forum told me that deer dont eat them. I admit that I have never witnessed that either, although the squirrels will stay busy packing them away.
If you are talking about Swamp Chestnut Oak, I have been told the deer love them.
I am not an oak expert, but am only repeating what I have read from some here on the old forum.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I collected 50 chestnut or swamp chesnut acorns this fall as well while green. Kept them from sept til mid january in a fridge and none of them started a radicle (my fridge may be a little on the cold side since none of my chestnuts have a radicle either). placed all 50 in media and have 30 couple with radicle down and 4 leafed out after 2 weeks.

Started about 40 inside and they are doing great. I guess they are about 18 in. tall now. Need to transfer to 2 gallon bags soon.

Deer won't eat regular chestnut oak acorns unless there is NOTHING else left to eat. They will, however, DESTROY swamp white oak acorns.

chestnut oaks clip.JPG
Here is the picture from the day I collected them. If you can ID, please share how you can tell the difference.

There are lots of chestnut oaks on ridges that don't have much top soil on the farm (slate rock). Many of them were loaded this year and the deer really haven't touched them. I did see a doe family group picking through them in January a couple years ago. They definitely prefer other oaks over them.

The bark is very distinct on the chestnut oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Chestnut Oak

db07e970c6133c76d75c47067d4f4276.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

It was a planted tree on the side of the road. I may stop back by and check the bark, i want to see if was a white flaky bark similar to a white oak.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Ive looked at pictures of swamp and regular cheatnut oak leaves and cant tell the diffence. Maybe the deer wont!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The bark is a dead give-away as the leaves can look similar on both trees. I'm betting chestnut though.

The bark is a dead give-away as the leaves can look similar on both trees. I'm betting chestnut though.
I agree with chestnut oak. Swamp white leaves have "lobes".
My neighbor killed a dandy on opening day a few years back. Under a chestnut oak they were hitting hard. Just never know.

Bark was definitely a lighter color indicative of swamp chestnut. Looking at the native range, it fits my location of coastal NC better than the Chestnut oak which is more mountain and piedmont of NC.

Back