Building Organic Matter

Matlax

Question for some of you experienced folks. I have two plots that were just cleared as part of a logging operation. Both are about 1 acre of useable planting area that I plan to keep expanding. Soil is sandy. One is dry, the other is pretty moist although I think it’ll keep drying up over time now that sun can hit the ground. Soil test showed pH in the upper 4’s and very little organic matter. My plan is to always keep something growing with the ultimate goal of building up the soil. I planted buckwheat a week ago and you can see it’s growing pretty well. I’ve seen a lot of guys talk about broadcasting WR and/or WW into the standing BW for a fall plot then use the cultipacker after seeding. I have the ability to disc/seed/cultipack with my Firminator. It seems like discing the BW in as part of my fall planting would help it decay quicker and build OM faster than leaving it on the surface. Does that sound right or am I doing more harm than good going that route?IMG_6673.jpegIMG_1476.jpeg I got 1 ton of lime per acre before the BW and will repeat that for the fall planting. Thanks!

Organic matter happens below ground. What’s above ground will not contribute to it directly. Living plants pump liquid carbon and root mass into the soil. That’s where it comes from.

Forget the disc. That will only make things go backwards. Get a stout stand of rye in there this fall and leave it grow as long as possible next year. What you see above ground for rye biomass you will also have below ground in roots.

Throw in some chicory, plantain, flax, clover, and a forage sorghum. Staying green and not digging your soil is all you have to do to build OM. The blend keeps itself healthy and fertile.

If it’s dry sand, you’re gonna need as much shade from growing plants and the previous crop’s residue as you can get, and for as long as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m in Texas and don’t know much about food plotting in the north, but I think you’ve gotten some good advice already. I would choose the crops that would be best for your soil and Mark has named some that I’m familiar with. I can’t use sorghum, the hogs will invade, but the buckwheat, rye, clover, and chicory sounds good to me. For years I planted a monoculture in the spring and almost the same in the fall, but I’m firmly on the blend train now. With the blend you get more shade to the ground and more choices for the deer as the plot progresses. It also gives you more thatch whether you TnM or crimp. Now I’m sounding like an expert but I’m just getting my feet wet in this regenerative thing, so take this with a grain of salt. A year from now I’ll know if I can do what I think I can. 😉

A few things I’m considering after some more reading that I’m curious what you all think and if it makes sense to disc (lightly) and cultipack:

1. Soil is very sandy - is it better to disc 1-1.5” to get the seed covered for better moisture?

2. There are lots of dips and low spots from where stumps and rocks came out - am I better moving some dirt with discing to help level it for planting seeds that need more accurate planting?

Not gonna lie, part of me probably just wants to disc because I enjoy running the equipment and spending time working the land. 🤣 Thanks!

The less soil disturbance the better. Personally I'd try to flatten that plot out a little better, but only really turning the soil once.

A few things I’m considering after some more reading that I’m curious what you all think and if it makes sense to disc (lightly) and cultipack:

1. Soil is very sandy - is it better to disc 1-1.5” to get the seed covered for better moisture?

2. There are lots of dips and low spots from where stumps and rocks came out - am I better moving some dirt with discing to help level it for planting seeds that need more accurate planting?

Not gonna lie, part of me probably just wants to disc because I enjoy running the equipment and spending time working the land. 🤣 Thanks!
In my book, making a pass with something to ensure a smooth seed bed is important and ok. I'd do what you need to do to get it level and smooth. If a shallow pass with the disc will do it, I'd absolutely throw a rate of rye in before doing it. Just in case you get it too deep, I'd broadcast another rate on top right after you're done disking. Then I'd hit with a drag and pack it.

Question for some of you experienced folks. I have two plots that were just cleared as part of a logging operation. Both are about 1 acre of useable planting area that I plan to keep expanding. Soil is sandy. One is dry, the other is pretty moist although I think it’ll keep drying up over time now that sun can hit the ground. Soil test showed pH in the upper 4’s and very little organic matter. My plan is to always keep something growing with the ultimate goal of building up the soil. I planted buckwheat a week ago and you can see it’s growing pretty well. I’ve seen a lot of guys talk about broadcasting WR and/or WW into the standing BW for a fall plot then use the cultipacker after seeding. I have the ability to disc/seed/cultipack with my Firminator. It seems like discing the BW in as part of my fall planting would help it decay quicker and build OM faster than leaving it on the surface. Does that sound right or am I doing more harm than good going that route?View attachment 25712View attachment 25713 I got 1 ton of lime per acre before the BW and will repeat that for the fall planting. Thanks!

Organic matter is built both above ground as plants die and decay, as well as below ground as roots decay. It takes may years to build organic matter and very little time to destroy it. The poorer soil you have (like sandy) the more important it is to not waste the organic matter you have. Any time you till, you introduce Oxygen into the soil. The O2, significantly increases the rate at which the microbes consume OM.

The best thing you can do is to avoid tillage. There are times when light tillage may be necessary. For example if you had heavy clay with low OM, crusting can be common. The clay forms such a hard glazed surface it becomes hard for plants to penetrate and grow. In that case, very light tillage may be beneficial. Top inch or less is more than adequate. The deeper you till, the deeper you introduce O2.

With sandy soil, you especially want to avoid tillage. Sand is infiltrated very easily. Water, lime, and nutrients drain through the soil quickly. Building OM is the best way to slow down this infiltration benefiting plants.

In order to build OM, the first rule is do no tillage unless it is absolutely necessary like in the case above. With pH that low, you will need a lot of lime and with sand, that lime will more through the soil much more quickly than clay or loam. Don't be surprised if you need to add more maintenance lime more frequently than folks on other soil types. Top dress the lime and don't be tempted to till it in.

As for planting, you are off to a good start. Buckwheat needs nothing more than to touch the ground by mowing to begin to break down. There is no need to disc at all. Thatch management is not an issue on a new plot. You want dead plants laying on the soil decomposing, but at some point as soil becomes more fertile, you can get too much and need to consider how to manage it. None of this will be a problem for many years in your plot. Some folks are in a position where there is so much vegetation on the soil, it is difficult to get good seed/soil contact which is a must for germination. Sometimes under these conditions light tillage exposes enough soil (you don't need much). Again, you won't have these issues for many years when your OM levels rise.

The key to building OM is to mix plants that have complementary characteristics with plants that produce Carbon when the dye like grasses (I'm not talking about fescue here) . Cereal grains can provide this. In your case, forget about WW and focus on WR. It will do much better in your soil conditions and fills the same niche for deer. You need add Nitrogen fixing legume to the WR for your fall plant.

Don't fall for the temptation to till and cover seed for moisture. You loose soil moisture when you till. The seeds like WR and Clover will be fine just broadcast and cultipacked. If you are concerned about moisture, (and this is always best), plant with rain in the forecast. That rain will be more than sufficient for germination. Because you didn't till, the soil will hold more moisture for the plants after they germinate.

The great thing about broadcast and cultipack techniques, is that you don't need a real even field. It works fine even on new ground that is uneven.

You seem to be on the right track in general.

Best of luck!

Thanks so much for the detailed posts guys! Given the low germination rate I expect, should I seed the legume and WR not at the normal standalone rate or go light? I suppose I could always go back with more WR and broadcast with a bag spreader if the legume doesn’t come up at all but I’d rather use the tractor for convenience (just had hernia surgery).

Thanks so much for the detailed posts guys! Given the low germination rate I expect, should I seed the legume and WR not at the normal standalone rate or go light? I suppose I could always go back with more WR and broadcast with a bag spreader if the legume doesn’t come up at all but I’d rather use the tractor for convenience (just had hernia surgery).
Using a tractor with a broadcast spreader is fine. I mix my legume with the WR as a carrier in a 3-pt broadcast spreader. It is hard to adjust a large broadcast spreader for a low seed rate of small seed like clover, but when mixed with WR as a carrier you'll be fine. I always set my seed rate lower than I need. I'll fill it with enough seed for the field I'm doing and may one pass around the field to get some seed everywhere, and then zig zag around through the field randomly distributing the rest of the seed till the spreader is empty.

I'd shoot for 100 lbs/ac of WR and 10 lbs/ac of and inexpensive annual clover that is suited for your location. Be tolerant of weeds unless you have one particular noxious weed dominating the plot. Many "weeds" are good deer food and they all add to the OM over time.

These guys know what they’re talking about for sure, I will say that we improved the soil quality and om in our garden immeasurably by planting wr for 5 winters straight and then tilling it in each spring. We started with sandy soil and now it is completely different. Of course gardens and plots aren’t the same thing, I realize this.

These guys know what they’re talking about for sure, I will say that we improved the soil quality and om in our garden immeasurably by planting wr for 5 winters straight and then tilling it in each spring. We started with sandy soil and now it is completely different. Of course gardens and plots aren’t the same thing, I realize this.
Yes, in a small area you can be more intensive. Of course it is possible to improve OM a little more quickly by applying manure and such but this only addresses the top, not deeper into the soil. Also keep in mind that tillage disturbs the soil tilth as well as introducing O2 to speed the consumption of OM. In a garden environment where you are planting individual plants, mulch can really help. It helps keep weeds at bay and slowly decomposes.

For more on the benefits of no-till operations, new folks should google "Ray the Soil Guy". He is from NRCS. Watch his infiltration and soil slake videos first. HIs focus is generally on farmers, but we can take those principles and adapt them to small equipment. It turns out that many of the crops we plant for deer can be done using throw and mow type techniques that don't require big no-till drills.

I agree with the above. I tried to use "advanced" mixes. Now I'm headed to just WR as a fall cover crop for white clover and BW as a spring cover crop with just mowing end of May, and mid-August. I think it will take several years until I can reasonably try something like brassicas. You need lots of lime. Hopefully you can get it in by truck. Soil tests save a lot of money. I use Waypoint Analytical.

I agree with the above. I tried to use "advanced" mixes. Now I'm headed to just WR as a fall cover crop for white clover and BW as a spring cover crop with just mowing end of May, and mid-August. I think it will take several years until I can reasonably try something like brassicas. You need lots of lime. Hopefully you can get it in by truck. Soil tests save a lot of money. I use Waypoint Analytical.
I find the lime recommendations for a soil test to be very important. I find fertilizer recommendations to be worthless. N recommendations are bases only on crop needs and many don't even include previous legume credits. They are oriented toward farmers. Farmers, generally need to plant monocultures so they can harvest. We can plant mixes of complementary crops. When a farmer harvests, he removes nutrients from the soil and has to add them back with commercial fertilizer. We don't harvest, and any nutrients taken by wildlife browsing are reapplies through defecation. Most of the weeds that are beneficial to deer are well adapted for the existing soil fertility. Using proper no-till techniques, we preserve and build OM and improve natural nutrient cycling. I have not use fertilizer in over 8 years now. Deer use my plots even more than before. Planting with lower intensity and becoming more weed tolerant yields as good or better benefits with much lower cost and time investment.

Good points. Nitrogen is not analyzed in soil analysis. It is either consumed or augmented (legumes) by plants. I gave my clover plot a shot of 6-24-24 by broadcast. The buckwheat immediately adjacent is more than 1 foot taller. So I think from the soil analysis get the P-K up to the indicated level. Except for possible leaching in sandy soils they should then be relatively stable. Add 100#/A of urea 4-6 weeks (or 150# 19-19-19 if P and K are low) after planting WR/BW. pH should be re-evaluated every couple years since the pH will change as it distributes through the soil. Does that seem right yoderjac?

I've gone a step further. "acceptable" levels of nutrients are generally based on farming. Rather than trying to adapt the soil to plants, I try to select plants that both work for deer and adapt to the soil. When you plant a monoculture, all of the plants are competing for the exact same nutrients. When you plant a complementary mix of plants and allow a healthy mix of weeds to emerge, the wide variety of plants are using different nutrients in different amounts. By avoiding tillage, over time we build OM which promotes nutrient cycling.

I have never added N and I no longer add P & K. I never plant a monoculture of an N seeking crop like brassica. I have heavy clay soil with low OM. Over time, I've built OM through no-till operations and planting high carbon and nitrogen fixing plants. This is harder with sandy soil, but just as possible. I find that getting the pH correct so plants can utilize the available nutrients even more important.

An example rotation/mix for me in zone 7A would be:

Late May/Early June - 20 lbs/ac Buckwehat with 20 lbs/ac Sunn hemp. This provides summer food and the sunn hemp fixes a lot of N into the soil.

Late Aug/ Early Sept - 100 lbs/ac WR, 10 lbs/ac Crimson Clover, 2 lbs/ac PTT and 2 lbs/ac GHR. The winter rye becomes the early attractant as well as the GHR tops. As the season goes on, the GHR tubers get hit. After a frost or two (coincidentally, not causally) deer begin to use PTT tops. After the season, in late Jan and Feb they hit the PTT bulbs hard. The winter rye gets hit in early spring again before it becomes rank. By then Crimson Clover is in full swing and deer use it until I'm ready to cycle back to buckwheat and sunn hemp.

With this approach, I need no added N for brassica because the number of plants per square foot is low and the banked N is enough for good growth.

The only time I would plant primarily N seeking plants together is when a perennial clover field needs to be rotated. In this case, I'm trying to consume excess N before rotating back to perennial clover.

In our program, it was costing thousands of dollars in fertilizer each year using traditional techniques. My plots now never look as good to a human, but seem to look better to deer. The money we are saving in fertilizer is now available for other habitat projects.

One eye opener that got me started with this approach is when I took a soil test to several "experts" looking for a fertilizer recommendation. I told them all what I had previously planted and what I intended to plant. I got a different fertilizer recommendation from each of them.

There has been a lot of science poured into fertilizer recommendations but it has all focused on farmers. They generally plant monocultures and harvest nutrients from the field. As deer managers we do neither.

That is my perspective. Others may have different perspectives. I did traditional tillage and fertilized for many years. My take on things today is that if I need to fertilize, I'm trying to bend nature too far. Bending nature slightly in favor of target species is lower cost with higher rewards.

Yoderjac, Thanks! Very educational. What are you doing for maintenance. (Mowing, chemical burn, etc.)?
For our feeding plots which go through the rotation between buckwheat/sunn hemp, there is no maintenance. Depending on my thatch level and weed content, chemical burn down may or may not be required before planting. I usually do it before the buckwheat/sunn hemp plant in the spring, but only sometimes in the fall depending on how many cool season grasses that are in the plot. Warm season summer weeds are about done when I plant for fall, so they are not an issue. I rotate between glyphosate at 2 quarts/ac and interline (which is generic liberty) for burn down. I don't want to use the same herbicide repeatedly as that encourages weeds that are naturally less susceptible to that herbicide to dominate. I want a healthy mix of weeds.

For perennial clover plots, I start with a clean burn-down plot in the fall. In my area, I usually wait until I get a good rain in the forecast. I broadcast WR at 100lbs/ac and perennial clover at about 10 lbs/ac. In my area Durana is a good choice. It is more persistent than ladino and is much more drought tolerant. I just broadcast and cultipack. I never plant perennial clover in the spring.

The key is the first spring after planting in the fall I plant. Each time the WR hits about 18" and it is beginning to shade out the Durana, I mow it back to 6" tall. This doesn't kill the WR, so it continues to take up space and have allopathic effect on weeds. Durana is very aggressive once it puts down a good root system, but it is slow to establish. This method allows it time to establish. By summer, the WR will die naturally, but by then, the Durana is pretty well established.

At this point, I have a fairly clean field of durana. It will have some warm season weeds, but unless they are particularly noxious and problematic, I'll just ignore them. Right before our fall archery season in early October, I will mow the plot. At this time, the cool nights and fall rains are favoring cool season clover. After that first year, I'm done with spring mowing. Weeds increase each summer and I find them beneficial. I often see deer in the clover fields munching on weeds. The weeds also help shade the clover from the summer sun. Most years it never goes dormant, and in particularly dry years, the summer dormancy period is very short. I do the same fall mowing every year.

Ben posted a good thread with a video from Harper:
https://deerhunterforum.com/threads...lds-for-bigger-bucks-and-better-hunting.7125/

This video and the thread are worth a watch. The technique in this thread is one step further than my weed tolerance in food plots. It discusses managing weeds as deer food. The technique does not necessarily replace food plots but can be used in conjunction with them for QDM.

In general, you uses this technique to produce volumes of quality native deer foods. Nature always leaves seasonal gaps where quality deer food declines. We can then use the food plots to focus on these gap periods. In my particular case, we are using clear-cuts for this purpose. We use prescribed fire in these clear-cuts every 3-4 years to keep them in early succession. Harper's method for managing old pastures fills a similar niche.

Back