2019 Live from the Stand

Went for short while yesterday evening. Cold NW wind. Hunted my sons stand who passed this last August. One of the 2 first stands we placed on property when we bought 10 yrs ago. Only 3rd time I’ve ever hunted it as I always kept it for him since job and small kids kept him too busy to hunt much. Always best buck stand o. The farm sitting below a ridge and above a good clover pot overseeded w rye.
I placed a small stone given my daughter at base of tree few wks ago. Got n tree and watched turkeys for a while then a Cooper’s hawk take a squirrel.
Finally heard a buck grunting. He came nose to ground. Nice 3 yo 8. Watched him make new scrape at tree 15 yds away. Amazing how aggressive the are w that. Drew the recurve twice on him but never released an arrow. Just watched him munch acorns for a while till he tired of me and moved into the fields looking for love in all the wrong places. Great evening.
5d417f8731b550738e8aa39e8e5c1226.jpg

1989d93c0e2db1edcb068a324db369bc.jpg

e8b0887b1df892c8526ee48d41fec977.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m “live from my bed” rather than the stand right now, but I hunted a lot this weekend. Saw deer every time I sat and shot at a doe last evening - it was a stupid shot and poor judgement. I need venison and to take does off the property, but it was too late and dark. After the shot I found no blood or signs of a hit, so I truly hope that I missed.

Random pics from the weekend.

IMG_9107.JPG

IMG_9113.JPG

IMG_9112.JPG

IMG_9121.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Getting some action early this morning. Just had a buck come through grunting and trailing two does. I was hoping it was the one I wounded on Sat evening, but it was about a 13-14" 8 pointer.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Live from midway up the mountain on our deer lease. SE breeze, 43 degrees. On stand hour before legal light. Trudged right on in because these woods are so noisy it is best just to get in your stand ASAP. I brought a set of rattling antlers with me and the tickled rack other as I pulled my bow and them up with my haul cord and immediately I heard footsteps coming to my tree in the leaves. The deer stood out Nader me in the dark trying to figure out where the interlopers went for about 10 minutes and then left. A few minutes after light I had a doe and fawn pass by browsing. Getting ready to tickle the horns...

Y’all are looking over some pretty woods this morning. I was live in the gym at daylight trying to work on these 72 year old shoulders and knees.

I’m gonna get in my bow blind here at home this afternoon and see what comes in, if anything. Good luck all !

Didn't get a chance to update earlier, but I missed a young buck this morning which makes two misses in the last three days. The last time this happened was about 12 years ago when my scope got bumped and wouldn't you know it, same thing today. Shots were way low and right, which is odd because I shot it a couple weeks ago and all was well. Back at it this evening but my confidence is running kinda low at this point. I hope things get better from here on out this season.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I’m “live from my bed” rather than the stand right now, but I hunted a lot this weekend. Saw deer every time I sat and shot at a doe last evening - it was a stupid shot and poor judgement. I need venison and to take does off the property, but it was too late and dark. After the shot I found no blood or signs of a hit, so I truly hope that I missed.

Random pics from the weekend.

View attachment 17380

View attachment 17381

View attachment 17382

View attachment 17383

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum
Are those deer or ducks?

It hit 70 today but the wind switched to the east so I figured I can deal with East wind at home so I came back here from our deer lease. My only real option is these oaks near the food plot...
f321efa454137a13adb4d74896c8dcd4.jpg

34d9ac7dccb95a42c48ea992c14dadee.jpg

8c063b04fe1f756e24380cc9b0c0826e.jpg

Not my first choice but you cannot kill them if you’re not out there...

DBE5D83C-E467-4CB0-B246-5B25FAF5A07A.jpeg I’ve been in my bow blind at home since about 2:30. Nothing yet. Got a little bit of a plot out here but the place to my S and W has nothing but oaks. I imagine that’s where most of the deer are right now. The drought in 2011 killed most of my white oaks but I still have some red and post oaks. Looks like a bust for today

View attachment 17431 I’ve been in my bow blind at home since about 2:30. Nothing yet. Got a little bit of a plot out here but the place to my S and W has nothing but oaks. I imagine that’s where most of the deer are right now. The drought in 2011 killed most of my white oaks but I still have some red and post oaks. Looks like a bust for today
Interesting that your white oaks died. We have been in that same drought cycle for the past several years and we lost most of our red oaks and our white oaks came through with flying colors...

Interesting that your white oaks died. We have been in that same drought cycle for the past several years and we lost most of our red oaks and our white oaks came through with flying colors...

Okie, to add insult to injury, the biggest white oaks are the ones that died. I had a giant beside my pond, which went dry BTW, and it died. It almost made me cry to look at all the dead white oaks. You could really see it in the satellite image of 2012. I’m sure some of those trees were 75 years old, maybe more. I still have lots of reds, but the white oaks are more attractive to deer IMO.

BTW, I saw nothing this evening hunt......:(

Okie, to add insult to injury, the biggest white oaks are the ones that died. I had a giant beside my pond, which went dry BTW, and it died. It almost made me cry to look at all the dead white oaks. You could really see it in the satellite image of 2012. I’m sure some of those trees were 75 years old, maybe more. I still have lots of reds, but the white oaks are more attractive to deer IMO.

BTW, I saw nothing this evening hunt......:(

Sure that’s not the oak blight or gypsy moth that’s killed millions of white oaks? I’ve lost a lot and reds seem to b seldom affected. I’ve seen areas entire mountain sides were dead.
Good luck on ur hunts.

We got the blight due to the 9 year drought we had and Our property lost 98% of the red oaks. Lost maybe 5% of the white oaks. I certainly wish we had more red oak trees because our white oaks are done on acorns now. Post oaks are dropping now and are absolutely everywhere.

Back