Working at the Farm - Took a few I-Phone Pics

Man Native, always impressed and love checking out your updates. Mainly just leads to major FOMO, but your habit, plots and fruit trees always look amazing! Don’t stop!

I'm going to do an update today, because I'm getting ready to start running a new fence and will be tied up for a few days. I also put in my last plots today for the year, because we have another several days of high percentage rain forecast.

This deer is still around, but he isn't showing often. I think he is laying close to the neighbor's beans which are 400 - 500 yards away. When crops start being harvested, I think he will be bedding on me. This deer is fully mature, and I will be targeting him.

kwpFGts.jpg

xdtR7Ou.jpg

OnDVKwc.jpg

Another very mature deer with a smaller rack:

hwfbgge.jpg

SONPZ9A.jpg

Another old pot gutted buck. This is the only picture of him:

0Fx2RLp.jpg

A nice prospect for 2 years down the road.

3AftlCs.jpg

Three deer that might be prospects for next year. I think the two in the first pic are identical twins.

N32I2Hu.jpg

C3fP111.jpg

pJmcwMh.jpg

Glad to see this:

D2CA5eP.jpg

Some habitat:

bf5E9as.jpg

L9mX5zE.jpg

ASsUlFW.jpg

IyXLVBg.jpg

SyJohC1.jpg

That's about it guys. Hope you enjoy and wish me luck on some upcoming hard days of work.
Looking good Native!

Nice update

I think the "old pot gutted buck" and "nice prospect for 2 years down the road" are the same deer

Thanks. Somebody on the other forum also thought they were the same deer. You guys could be right. I have lots of pictures of the one I think is young, so I will be watching this.

Since my last post I have bought a crossbow and plan on doing some hunting. In our state a senior (That's me) can crossbow hunt during the entire regular bow season. I'm dialed in like a rocket with broadheads and plan on hunting the first deer below when I see a perfect wind and conditions. This deer is at my 20 acre place. I dare not go before the perfect conditions, because access is not great at this farm.

I'm busting to go because these pictures are at a perfect 40 yard shot from my stand and the first two are in legal shooting light (30 minutes past sunset). Wish me luck when I finally do go.

KcyW8we.jpg

HsHK2aT.jpg

C6ezBmK.jpg

This is at a different spot and I have no idea why he was moving at 30 some minutes after noon. Maybe a doe factory pushed him out....

bIM9wov.jpg

Here is another pretty good deer that I might consider shooting, but I really have my heart set on the other one.

8TV6lvs.jpg

A few more pictures for your enjoyment:

vG1fvWi.jpg

8Afk1Kx.jpg

VS8WLCq.jpg

E8wbCme.jpg

hgZZEZc.jpg

Ieu3tyH.jpg

4o9TyBO.jpg

UdCsOsT.jpg

XQgqa3c.jpg

9Nk84y6.jpg

kcEzM2E.jpg

oWUi07C.jpg

That's all folks. Wish me luck.

If you read my recent post in the "Live from the stand thread" you will know that I had a close encounter with the deer below at my 20 acre place. I had him under 40 yards with the crossbow, but he was in standing corn. At times I could barely see the vitals, but I kept hesitating because I thought I would get a bigger hole to shoot through. But as fate would have it, he turned a different direction, and I lost the opportunity.

The very next day (last Saturday) they started picking the corn. I will give things a few days to settle down and see what is happening on the cameras. I hope he is still around. If so, I will try again with the crossbow about the middle of next week.

WAcgPIw.jpg

q6IxKxy.jpg

rMetTRx.jpg

It's raining chestnuts now at my other place, and I picked up a few for myself today.

yOojQfk.jpg

jUiquSn.jpg

It's also raining persimmons. The ones in my hand are MIller, and the ones on the tree are Deer Magnet. Many native trees are also dropping.

fJdEeLR.jpg

36SuYx0.jpg

I'm also enjoying lots of pears right now.

fCuC6rT.jpg

These are some of the late dropping sawtooths. As you can see, they are still very green.

CUU640y.jpg

That's about it for now guys. I have a bunch of non-hunting things pressing me to get done right now, but I do hope to make it out at least a couple more times with the crossbow before our two day muzzleloader season in mid-October. My son will be hunting with me on those days, and I hope we can have a pattern on a good one by then. My 100 acres place is crawling with deer right now, but all the bucks I'm seeing need another year. That may change when the crops bordering me are harvested, and I think that will be soon. Best wishes.

Our season opens Saturday and I am not at all excited about it. Hot and extremely dry and I know you mention doe factories from time to time but I somehow took a property that held about 20-30 bucks and 3 or 4 does to a property that holds 20-30 does and 2 or 3 bucks in just the space of a few years...wish it was back to the way it used to be because early season was fantastic back then and I could usually pull it off before the orange army invaded but now the bucks don’t start showing interest over here until a little before rifle season and traveling from bedding on neighbors to feeding here they get clocked at the fence...on the wrong side...

Good luck on another great buck to be hunted and glad you are expanding your horizons!

Our season opens Saturday and I am not at all excited about it. Hot and extremely dry and I know you mention doe factories from time to time but I somehow took a property that held about 20-30 bucks and 3 or 4 does to a property that holds 20-30 does and 2 or 3 bucks in just the space of a few years...wish it was back to the way it used to be because early season was fantastic back then and I could usually pull it off before the orange army invaded but now the bucks don’t start showing interest over here until a little before rifle season and traveling from bedding on neighbors to feeding here they get clocked at the fence...on the wrong side...

Good luck on another great buck to be hunted and glad you are expanding your horizons!

Thanks Johnny. I do kind of joke about doe factories from time to time. In our area it doesn’t seem to be an issue, but I can see how in some places that the does could get out of hand. Keep us posted on your hunting and best wishes to you and your wife.

Other than freezing to death the last couple of days, I'm having a great time during gun season this year. The big buck pictured above that I was hunting during early season is gone - possibly dead. Now I have my sights set on another one shown in the first two pictures below. I've had a glimpse or two of him, but he has been elusive since all of the hunting activity picked up on neighboring properties. Just before gun season, he was showing in daylight quite often, but now he is being more careful. It's going to take a hot doe to bring him out.

7vdPtjp.jpg

CTPAZi4.jpg

I've passed some other good bucks and had another bigger deer to show up in the last few days. Below are some of them:

This guy gave me a clear shot yesterday at 60 yards. He looks pretty good, but I think he is only 3, and seems to be a homebody. It would be great to see him next year:

icpAYDm.jpg

This morning I passed a shot at what I believe to be the deer below. He is also a homebody. I would not be ashamed to take this deer, but I really have my heart set on the other one. That second picture is only 50 yards from the blind I was in.

7cWdlFv.jpg

hakTbxp.jpg

This is one that just came in recently that I have no history on. I have not seen this deer in person yet. What would be great is if I could kill the other one and this one stay around.

67tba0l.jpg

6hdk3HE.jpg

This is a strange looking rut visitor that I had at 35 yards tailing a doe. He looks mature but I've never seen a mature deer around here with tines so short.

LGgxy7H.jpg

Here is another old looking rut visitor that I haven't seen in person yet. He looks ancient.

vud60Xa.jpg

tp8NvlQ.jpg

On a sadder note, the young double drop tine I was hoping would survive was killed about a mile from me. But, they say the guy who killed him is a good fellow, so I'm happy for him. I'm just going to keep hunting and having fun. If I don't get my target in the next few days, we will try again during late ML season.

This morning I ended my season by taking a 10 point that I had only had two pictures of. However, I could tell he was a mature buck (at least 4.5) and would score well. The morning started out slowly with me only seeing does to my west that were meandering around in a long and narrow food plot that is mostly wheat. There are also a few crabapple trees at that location that keeps them hanging around. Honestly, it was pretty dull, because there was no chasing or any buck movement.

Later in the morning, I saw a young buck chase a doe out of my native grass field to the south into a picked corn field. That was approximately 350 yards from me. I kept watching that spot and in a few minutes I saw my buck below come around the corner of the corn and enter into the native grass. At that point, all I could tell was that he was a big deer. I didn't know which of the 10 points he was, but I figured he was one of the two I knew of. I kept watching my shooting lanes for what seemed like eternity and saw nothing. Then a nervous looking doe entered one of the lanes and came toward me. She came within 100 yards - stopped - and then turned around and ran back the way she came, but I never saw him. Suddenly he popped out in one of my lanes at 282 yards and briefly turned broadside. That was all I needed. The 300 mag roared and took out the top part of his heart. I don't know how he did it, but he still managed to run 60 yards. The blood trail was not incredible, but good enough for me to slowly track him down.

That's it for me this year folks. If my son wants to hunt late muzzleloader, I may go out with him, but I'm through hunting myself. Thanks for reading and take care.

KcSzwWr.jpg

EmhAPvF.jpg

YPO6CUw.jpg

ECSX1Yn.jpg

6hdk3HE.jpg

Back