winter rye nurse crop for clover/chicory mix?

I've never planted chicory before, but want to give it a try to add a little diversity to my plots. I've had good luck using winter rye as a nurse for my clover plots and my intention is to use it as a nurse crop for my clover and chicory this fall in a 1/2 acre plot I started this spring in forage oats. I did some searching online and got mixed opinions about using the rye with chicory. So, I am looking for input from those who have used winter rye as a nurse crop for a clover/chicory mix. Thanks in advance for any experiences you care to share.

Seems to work ok for me. I use rye and wheat as nurse crops for my clovers and chicory. No problems.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

you will be fine, to me winter rye is better than wheat as a nurse crop for a first time perennial plot. It provides better weed control it seems to me. I have used both and prefer rye but that could be just because of my location.

I use rye every year for my chicory/clover plots. Works great. Don’t go too heavy on the chicory. After playing around with different ratios, I like no more than 11/2lbs and 5lbs of white clover. Our deer will use it year round, but are real focused on it in the fall. I would always want it to be a small component of a clover mix.

Back