Winter food source: Turnips/Radishes vs. Corn

If you are looking to kill mature deer late season you need to focus on low, low pressure tactics. We have seen the same thing through the years with the big deer showing up late season on the cameras. They are certainly attracted to late season plots but the mature bucks aren't coming out during daylight unless they feel like there is no pressure. Otherwise they will be there after dark, regardless of what you plant. Figure out how to make the deer feel this way on your plots late season. At least one or two plots that you feel have the best chance of killing a mature deer. Usually dictated by the ability to get in and out without deer knowing you are there. We have a couple plots that are there specifically to kill a mature buck during the late muzzleloader.

With that being said, figure out what is a decent feed for deer in your area. Sounds like any of the plots you are planting would draw the deer given the deer feel they can feed safely. We plant all the plots you mention. We have had great luck with corn as a late season plot. Problem is you need a lot of acres to have corn left this time of year. It sounds like that will be an issue for you if you go that route due to deer density. My buddy killed a buck 2 days ago that we have been after for three years. He showed up on a turnip plot that is secluded and has had no pressure. 2 other bucks on the plot with him when my buddy pulled the trigger. The corn we have on this property is GONE. Probably 4 acres worth. The deer on this property are hitting the turnips and LC mix plots just fine. I have been pushing to convert more of those acres to turnips as we get the same draw for a lot less work and money. The big deer are certainly drawn to them this time of year.

Given the situation you have described. I would go turnips or the LC mix and work on making the deer feel like there is no pressure. No real other way around it for killing mature deer after a long season

Those pictures we have are taken in daylight at NOON on the way to and at the neighbors bait pile. We can bait this county legally, but are limited to a maximum of 2 gallons out at any time. I'm personally against baiting and can't stand doing it myself.

I have edge access all the way around the property with pretty good cover and barricades restricting vision into cover.

I have the funds for an electric fence setup, I wonder if it's worth it. I could keep an acre of turnips/radishes fenced until December....? Anyone do that?

And a big problem I need to mention is that at the current time we have roughly 8" of snow cover and after this snowstorm tonight it's looking like we will have about 15".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
the effectiveness of corn depends on several factors. First and foremost is the number of deer and other critters your feeding. I personally can get away with small 3/4 acre corn plots that will last until Jan/feb, but that is because I don't have many deer. I am also smack dab in farm country so deer are all about corn and beans here. I see limited use of brassicas when corn or beans are available to the deer. Brassica here are low on the preference list, but will be eaten if needed. I have planted for multiple year snow and still most brassica rots.

The ONLY thing I have seen corn and beans do for me is they provide the late season food for the does, and they then bring the bucks. I still try to overseed with brassica and cereal grains for some additional variety and insurance.

Everything you can plant in a plot has an advantage or a disadvantage. It all depends on what you want and what your situation will allow/tolerate. Corn in particular has to be one of the most costly and demanding plants you can put out there for the deer.

My experience is that they eat the berries about a week before they harden. They love them but it only lasts a week or so. The cover stays all season...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Deer will continue to feed on sorghum long after the seed heads mature. I've used it numerous times and they utilize it on into February or until all the seeds are gone whichever is later. Another benefit of sorghum is you can bushhog some of it late in the year and have one heck of a late-season dove hunt.

I keep clover, forage oats and turnip radish mix in my food plot. Yesterday I shot a decent 9 pt buck out of my clover plot after 2" of snow washed off by rain.
The deer didn't eat the turnip bulbs the 1st year but do so after that each year. It's my belief that deer have no idea what the new turnip food is and have to learn then they flock to it the 2-3 year. Of course the deer eat the leaves the 1st year.

The 1 ac. of forage oats will last all winter and seed out in the spring. The oats is green food before the spring green up.

The neighbor has 110 ac horse hay baling operation so I need a different crop to draw the deer to my property. When I see deer come out of the neighbor's brush line and walk non stop through the grass hay field to my food plot I know it's working. Plant something different and the deer will find it but it may take a year.

2 acres of beans never lasted to late season in Iowa.

sorghum was a five minute snack once it was ready for consumption.

G

Deer will continue to feed on sorghum long after the seed heads mature. I've used it numerous times and they utilize it on into February or until all the seeds are gone whichever is later. Another benefit of sorghum is you can bushhog some of it late in the year and have one heck of a late-season dove hunt.
Would love me a late season dove hunt! My milo plots are too small, once edible it gets cleaned out quickly.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back