Will Build a Walk in Cooler for Nuts & DCO Growing

Another great DIY project by wbpdeer.

The thought crossed my mind that someone could also take a non-working, large chest type freezer and cut a hole in the end for the AC unit and basically turn it into a refrigerator. Obvious a walk in unit has its definite advantages but what you and I want, but for a deer cooler I think it would work pretty well.

Now, that begs the question..... Could a Warmbot be used to make a chest freezer into a fridge?? How warm can a chest freezer be set?

Well I have read this entire thread and you have done a great job documenting your process. To be honest I am considering building a deer cooler (and yes I read your thoughts on that) as more and more meat lockers around here are not processing deer anymore. Plus the expense of having them do it seems to be pushing me towards doing it myself.....but keeping the meat good and cool is essential to doing that as I often can't get to it right away. I think a cooler based on what you have documented here would be great and I would only need it for a short period of time. If you don't mind can you share some of the general costs you have had with this project?

J Bird,

Many examples of deer coolers on YouTube. You have to use stouter framing that I did. Most create some type of ceiling rail to move the deer around when they are hanging. Realize you only pay for insulation once but pay for electricity monthly.

I would not do it the same way for again. Since I am carrying nuts and acorns, I would find a double glass door soft drink cooler from a soft drink distributor.

The cool bot is an expensive item - around $325. The cool bot was invented for farmers and is widely used by do it yourself folks.

Your air conditioner is an expensive item - has to be digital and a 10,000 BTU AC will be around
$300 new. Don't buy an air conditioner until you get it cleared by the cool bot support staff.

If you can find insulation board in a salvage situation you can eliminate a great deal of cost. If I had of made mine 4 by 7 on the inside, my materials would have worked out better and I would not have been cutting insulation board with a box cutter.

Getting it air tight saves you cool air and the floor is important because cold air sinks. I put a plywood floor in mine.

Where two insulation boards join, I taped those joints. I used foam insulation in a can - it does well where corners are as flush as we wish.

My walls are 23.2 R Value.

I hope this helps.

Wayne

For anyone reading this thread, I want to encourage you to use YouTube as a "How To..." resource.

Huge benefit when I built my greenhouse and the same was true for my small wall in cooler. Everything you learn before you start a project will save you time, money and avoid frustration. ;)

For anyone reading this thread, I want to encourage you to use YouTube as a "How To..." resource.

Huge benefit when I built my greenhouse and the same was true for my small wall in cooler. Everything you learn before you start a project will save you time, money and avoid frustration. ;)

We are all depending on YOU to check out the YouTube, and then let us know how to do it!

J Bird,

Many examples of deer coolers on YouTube. You have to use stouter framing that I did. Most create some type of ceiling rail to move the deer around when they are hanging. Realize you only pay for insulation once but pay for electricity monthly.

I would not do it the same way for again. Since I am carrying nuts and acorns, I would find a double glass door soft drink cooler from a soft drink distributor.

The cool bot is an expensive item - around $325. The cool bot was invented for farmers and is widely used by do it yourself folks.

Your air conditioner is an expensive item - has to be digital and a 10,000 BTU AC will be around
$300 new. Don't buy an air conditioner until you get it cleared by the cool bot support staff.

If you can find insulation board in a salvage situation you can eliminate a great deal of cost. If I had of made mine 4 by 7 on the inside, my materials would have worked out better and I would not have been cutting insulation board with a box cutter.

Getting it air tight saves you cool air and the floor is important because cold air sinks. I put a plywood floor in mine.

Where two insulation boards join, I taped those joints. I used foam insulation in a can - it does well where corners are as flush as we wish.

My walls are 23.2 R Value.

I hope this helps.

Wayne
Thanks Wayne. Based on the cost and my specific needs - I may be better off with just investing in a large chest cooler. I really only need the means for about a month out of the year - and I can use the portability of the cooler a lot easier than a walk in like you built. You have $600+ just in your cool bot and AC unit. I'm figuring your looking at another couple $100 in other materials at least. I can buy a hell-of-a cooler for that kind of money. I still appreciate you sharing your build with us.

J Bird,
You arrived at the same point as I made in the post above ...

How is that cooler running now that you have had it up and going for awhile? I just reworked my temporary cold room. 8 x 8 x 8. I have to admit I am looking forward to getting moved in a couple of years so I can get a permanent, cold room of adequate size built.

I am not running mine right now. I made a bad mistake and put the air conditioner out of commission. First attempt at getting it back on line failed.

Have not followed up on it. As I told a friend - someone left me unsupervised and I messed up. :rolleyes:

Sure wish I had of gotten a double door soda can fridge like you see in convenient markets.

I hope your reworked cold room works out great.

Wayne

Turkey Creek,

Let me admit i got careless with a drill in a tight space and now my AC don't work. :rolleyes:

I still get angry just thinking about my stupid attack.

Wayne

Turkey Creek,

Let me admit i got careless with a drill in a tight space and now my AC don't work. :rolleyes:

I still get angry just thinking about my stupid attack.

Wayne
Well we have all been there, done that ...... stupid attack that is. Any stupid attack that you can walk away from uninjured is just another learning experience. Unfortunately some are more costly than others.

Back