Why corn is king for me

Well crap.....I need to plant more corn if I can get that sort of antler growth!!!!!

I rarely see much browsing of the actual corn plant itself. I see it, but not to the extent you do. I have more issues with coons destroying it before it develops ears than I do with deer messing with it. Once that ear starts then the deer will nip the tip of every ear they can find!

Usually we get get some browsing around all our fields but never enough to cause much of a problem. Some guys near creeks will loose 6-12 rows around the outside

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Here's a chart I found about grazing corn
ef11d2046cfa0bcc9af6c49d355613e8.jpg

There must be something in it they need or want to be eating it over the beans right next to it

There must be something in it they need or want to be eating it over the beans right next to it

I believe someone mentioned earlier in this thread that the corn turns sweet before they start producing ears. Something like that. That would also make sense for the raccoons being interested.
In fact out of curiosity I've tasted the corn plant myself, and I could see why deer would like them.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

It could be something as simple as the corn traps the morning dew, in the curled leaves, if you had been having a dry spell. Especially with beans being right next to it. It is a little perplexing.

I think corn holds a lot of water. In wetter years I notice very little browsing on green corn stalks but, in dry years they can do a number on it.

Everywhere is different - but around my place, I have never seen any browsing on corn. I especially like beans because of the high protien content available during antler growing season and for lactating does. Very few food plotters have row planters in my area because there are no row crops. But, you do what works for you

I think corn holds a lot of water. In wetter years I notice very little browsing on green corn stalks but, in dry years they can do a number on it.

It could be, but there is a pond of water about 500yards from this plot and at least 2 water tanks within 1/2 mile of this plot

Back