Who keeps a journal/log of buck activity?

pinetag

This is the first year where I've really used cameras for monitoring so I thought I'd start a journal of buck travel activity and wind correlation. Anybody else do this? Have you noticed specific patterns? I'm still learning how deer use my property and where the best spots are to hang cameras so I didn't get a whole lot of buck pics but I think I can still learn from what I have so far. Plus it is more of pass through property as opposed to a "home" for the local buck population. I hope to change that in the coming years. The one thing I was surprised at from the pictures I was able to get was how few bucks were walking directly into the wind. Many seemed to be walking with a cross wind blowing from the side instead of in their face and I was also surprised to see how much movement there was on the extremely calm days. I used Weather Underground to get the historical wind speed and direction at the time of movement captured by each camera. Here is my list below.

Buck travel-wind correlation 2018.jpg

We have used camera sightings to determine where hogs are at a given time so that we could ambush them at night, but not deer. Probably worthwhile though. Just remember that what the weather liars say about the wind ain't necesarily what's happening in front of your camera.

Last edited:
I keep a journal of each sighting of each shooter buck pictured on the property. I use it to determine possible new stand locations for the following season. This is my second year doing it so I can't say that it works by years of experience but it is working well so far and it adds to the hunting fun tremendously.

Last edited:
One of my most treasured possessions were my old hunting journals from the late 80s thru the 90s. Thur several moves I’ve misplaced them...hopefully not lost them. I meant to start journaling again this year while hunting and did not. When I’m long gone I think my grandkids would enjoy reading my ramblings from afield. Hopefully I will find them and hopefully I will begin jouranling again when afield.

I have an excel spreadsheet. Columns are the days from start to end of season. Rows are the years. I type in the cells am or pm or both based upon the movements. I only chart daytime movement of shooter bucks. I fill in the cell color by location on the property. I have a color dedicated for if shooters show up in multiple locations on the same day. Starting to look like an upside down bell curve. The year after year colors groupings around certain dates really show which stands to use when. I also add in comments about what i planted for plots, was it a good mast year, what was planted on neighboring farms. As an engineer, Im a firm believer is using past data to make future decisions. I only have so much vacation to burn so i want to take it at the right times and sit in the right spots when i do so.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I talk to someone about writing in general but creative writing, one of things I emphasize is the value of a journal. It is not just a way of keeping records and reminders. Journaling is a way of channeling a creative flow. It cannot be done on a computer, it must be done by hand. When I am struck by an impression or feeling while in the woods or on the water, that goes down immediately in my pocket journal. That is like my can of dip. It is always with me. Then, when I get home or get time alone, that is transferred, verbatim, to my annual journal.

I get a new one for Christmas, every year. My wife gives it to me, leather bound with my name and year on it. That is #1 reference book when I sit down to write. I almost never record deer movement or times or rub locations in my journal. That is work, that goes in my records and charts etc. for each property. A journal is for recording memories and feelings and important events. Deer and turkeys and even elk, to me, are work related.

I realize, that may be hard for some to grasp. I don't have to write down that I found a huge rub or a fence crossing, in a journal. Who cares. That goes in the property plan book. But what I thought or felt when I saw a grove of aspens, just turning gold and shimmering in the first sunlight on a frosty morning...that is journal material.

I don't have to write this in a journal. I was working.

Attachments

• 03220012.JPG
    03220012.JPG
    586.9 KB · Views: 0
I use Paint program (no phone either) to reduce pics and was still having difficulty, then switched browsers per Cutman's suggestion and it has been working just fine since.

Snowracerh

Do you have an example of your excel sheet tracking buck movements with color? If you don't want to make it public, you could send it to me a private conversation on here.

I have read it three times and need to see it to understand the logic.

Thanks

Wayne

I have an excel spreadsheet. Columns are the days from start to end of season. Rows are the years. I type in the cells am or pm or both based upon the movements. I only chart daytime movement of shooter bucks. I fill in the cell color by location on the property. I have a color dedicated for if shooters show up in multiple locations on the same day. Starting to look like an upside down bell curve. The year after year colors groupings around certain dates really show which stands to use when. I also add in comments about what i planted for plots, was it a good mast year, what was planted on neighboring farms. As an engineer, Im a firm believer is using past data to make future decisions. I only have so much vacation to burn so i want to take it at the right times and sit in the right spots when i do so.

Snowracer,
That sounds like what I am striving for. As I continue to monitor cameras over the coming years I'm sure I'll get more efficient and more detailed in my record keeping and hopefully pick up on some patterns of my own. I may have to steal this method! LOL

Snowracer,
That sounds like what I am striving for. As I continue to monitor cameras over the coming years I'm sure I'll get more efficient and more detailed in my record keeping and hopefully pick up on some patterns of my own. I may have to steal this method! LOL
It works well as a quick visual representation to compare year to year, different dates, morning versus evening, as well as different stands. All that can can hopefully be tied back to changes in habitat, hunting practices and year to year weather differences.

When pulling cards from camera's, I pull them up on the computer and save the ones that have bucks. Over the years, you can see a definite target date of October 25th when the bucks really start to go on the prowl.

However...In one location on the farm, we always have a stud on camera late September or early October during daylight hours (and usually a few pictures). The problem is, you don't know which day. It's amazing that this one spot will get a stud of a buck on camera every year. Usually, it is the biggest buck on camera we will have all year too.

Back