Where to put permanent blind?

Weasel

I ended a farm rent agreement on my 10+ acre front field this year. Obviously the switch and pine/old field is going to take a few years to come in but between all the rain and the Egyptian wheat I planted around the plots, it’s thickened up pretty good. I’d like to build an enclosed elevated blind to take advantage of the standing corn & beans in the late season if necessary. My original plan was to build a hay bale blind on a trailer for mobility but I don’t know if I would complete it in time. If you were to build a permanent blind in this area, where would you put it? Prevailing winds are W & NW.
v1a5VRo.jpg

I would put it in the middle on the east side of the screen farthest east of the pond. Don't know the topography but I would think one could cover the plots north and south of the stand.

Before deciding anything I would spend a few late evenings sitting near the barn with a spotting scope and see where deer prefer to enter the field, thats how I would make my decision. BUT just by looking at the map, I would put a stand on the point of woods center of the field between the Alfalfa/corn and switch grass, just NW of the pond. Im assuming the pines/old field serves as a bedding area as well so it looks like a good transition between bedding areas as well as obviously having the food. I only say this over the eastern-middle side of the field because the most mature deer, on the farms I hunt at least, tend to not get real close to the farm buildings on a regular basis. They usually will enter the field a ways away, mature deer typically like their privacy. Nice patch for 10acres by the way, looks productive!

First of all - put it on wheels or have some way to move it fairly easily of possible.

I would put it in the switch as near the red area - entering from the east property line - as possible.

I agree with seeing how the deer like to enter these areas.....use as much of the switchgrass area as you can long term for access cover to and from your stand/blind.

Something I see in your layout - or don't see - is corners. Deer love corners. Deer love to enter fields at corners or where different edges meet or a low spot in the are or the like. If you can;t watch - set up some cams and try to get an idea or look for tracks and signs of browsing.

I go right above the first L in the top Alpha, You can cover most entries from the woods to the food. Or possibly above on the G in switch grass to catch exiting old pines.

Thank you all for the input. I’m pretty happy with how things are progressing for the first year of reclaiming the ag field. I can’t take credit for the layout, Erich Long from Drumming Log Wildlife Management designed it. He doesn’t like straight lines since nature doesn’t do straight lines. I have to agree.
upvPL4Q.jpg

LOVING this RR alfalfa
1JWbJBq.jpg

Egyptian wheat is getting pretty tall
PzZjKfZ.jpg

Thank you all for the input. I’m pretty happy with how things are progressing for the first year of reclaiming the ag field. I can’t take credit for the layout, Erich Long from Drumming Log Wildlife Management designed it. He doesn’t like straight lines since nature doesn’t do straight lines. I have to agree.
upvPL4Q.jpg

LOVING this RR alfalfa
1JWbJBq.jpg

PzZjKfZ.jpg
I agree in that nature doesn't like straight lines.....however the deer use of corners is something I can't stress enough in what I see in ag country. Corners of fields, corners of wooded areas...... I'm not saying it's wrong.....just an observation on my part.

Great question Weasel! Choosing the location for "permanent" shooting houses is really tough. It is a must that you can enter and leave the area without giving away the stand location. My first choice is on a down or cross wind knoll overlooking parts of the plots with fifty to eighty yards of woods between the stand and the plots.

I would personally find the trails that they use to enter the field, and go 100 or 200 yards into the woods and put it somewhere in there. Catch nocturnal bucks going to bed in the morning, and on their way to feed before dark. I’m no mature buck expert but I know they don’t usually feed in open fields during the day

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

If you had a consultant help you lay it out, I'd assume he did so with stand sites in mind. Did he visit the property before helping lay it out? What were/are his thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

upvPL4Q.jpg

LOVING this RR alfalfa
1JWbJBq.jpg

PzZjKfZ.jpg

Crops looks tremendous. Where did you snag the round up ready alfalfa? I have a spot on my place that is dying to have some planted on it haha.

My two cents on the box blind I built mine on skids. Then if I need to adjust them or move them I can just drag them with my tractor. I agree with looking for the entry trails and setting up for those but as your design evolves/developes you may need to adjust so mobility will be important.

The key is put the blind where you can get out after dark without busting out the plots. Do it a couple times and day time action is over. I would definitely use the egyptian wheat to cover your ingress and egress.

That is a well laid out 10 acre piece. I am jealous of the growth you got with the Egyptian wheat. I planted some as a tall cover to divide two larger fields. Then then was a 6 week drought and it just sat there. It might be 3 or 4 feet tall now but that is it. I agree on making the permanent blind moveable by some means. I use the FEL on my Kubota to move my 4'x4' blinds around on my land. I would look to the South and East for stand placements. Then you need ingress and egress routes. I am thinking you might need another stand eventually.

Another vote for letting the deer tell you where to put it. Observation is key to avoid making a permanent mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What weapon are you using? That would make a difference too.

For me, I use a rifle and muzzleloader so my range is a lot farther than a bow or shotgun. But if it was mine, Id build a really tall blind and place one a little south or right on top of the "H" in Switch grass. IMO that edge there is going to be the main way they access the water. But I like to be able to see as much ground as possible when I can, gives me more to do when I'm sitting in the stand.

Im gonna sound like a wet blanket.
Put that permanent blind by your shed and use it for storage.
Permanent blinds, by their very definition are, well permanent.
IMHO, permanent stand locations burn out and become deer educators.
Yes, those stands are comfy and easy to hunt. But are they the most effective way to roll with the seasonal, or yearly changes in habitat and herd?
Geeze, I think ladders are too permanent. A built stand?? Not for me.

Maybe look into building a stand on a wagon or trailer frame? That way you can place it in a spot and see how you like it, if it doesn't work for you then you can always move it.

As far as a permanent stand, I like them as long as you put them in a good spot. But its different when you hunt with a rifle than a bow

If you can and are willing to wait and watch, that is your best option. However as one other said, If I was just going by the map I would place it at the Woods Point where I could see and shoot from the woods line to the bottom crop field. Deer will or should move from the Wheat and Grass bedding areas to feed in the Food Plots and or drink from the Pond.

That is if your planning to hunt the area with a Rifle or ML that can shoot longer ranges.

If Bow Hunting I would make use of several Ground Blinds or Tri-Pod stands set around travel lanes to and from the Plots.

Actually I'd probably do both and cover all my bases so as not to Over Hunt one area.

WP_20180823_11_45_42_Pro (2).jpg
Put up an airtight blind like this 360 Series blind that I have and the wind direction won't matter. With the metal tower you can strap it to your loader tractor and move it if you don't get it at quite the right location the first time. As far as stand locations, like the other guys said, the ability to get to your blind without being busted is key, but the only real way to figure out stand locations is to hunt the spot, the more that you hunt a property, the clearer you can see where that perfect spot is. I have a 30 acre property that iv'e hunted for 12 years, anymore I will only hunt out of one specific tree with a climber, it's the money in the bank spot for that place. This looks like a great property, good luck with your new stand!

Back