What's this stuff

g squared 23

I was walking the land today after my work was done and noticed several thickets forming of this shrub in an area that had previously been cut. Wondering if anybody knows what it is and if I should keep it. A lot of it was approaching 7+ feet and appeared to be suckering. Is it something good to have? I tore off a branch as I didn't have my phone with me, used the weed fabric for pictures.

abfdd6602b09c3306c9c9acd4b5584ea.jpg

f58d7e21a2626441f4bcefbc36cfe6bf.jpg

b24360118e55fcc31835bf792a0c2b9f.jpg

397a518b0d689a1fed45cd455597222b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea what the plant is, but hickory will produce a very similar growth numbering in the millions around early May. Not sure, but I've wondered if it's a male flower? Is it a catkin of some sort?
The similar growth that hickory produces is definitely associated with the cycle of flowering to nut production.

Definitely hazelnuts. This is the time of year to id them, as those catkins turn yellow and elongate. I’ve located several new clumps in my neighborhood.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've had some success digging those up and transplanting them, but they are slow growing. Get a large root ball if possible. Also it's good to plant bunches from different locations close together to help pollination. American varieties do well with partial shade but it seems European varieties do better in full sun.

I've had some success digging those up and transplanting them, but they are slow growing. Get a large root ball if possible. Also it's good to plant bunches from different locations close together to help pollination. American varieties do well with partial shade but it seems European varieties do better in full sun.

Native, have you ever propagated any from nuts? I’ve got about twenty planted in a grow bag type of thing, hoping I’ll see some germination in a month or so.

Native, have you ever propagated any from nuts? I’ve got about twenty planted in a grow bag type of thing, hoping I’ll see some germination in a month or so.

No I haven’t but good luck and let us know how it goes.

I gave up on trying to grow hazelnut in root pouches. They don’t do good for some reason. The last ones I tried to direct seed and even though I thought I protected them well enough mice found every one.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I spent a few hours this morning digging up and transplanting some starts from my hazelnut clusters-we’ll see if they make it, some of them didn’t have very big roots on them. I watered them in well and we are expecting a 1-2” rain event this weekend. I have high hopes. Some of them were 6-7 feet tall, so I might cut them back a bit if they leaf out. I don’t want a bunch of top growth overwhelming a compromised root.

On a side note, I planted these where I had buried some hazelnuts in a row to germinate. Every hazelnut that I unearthed while planting had started to split open and sprout. I recovered them quickly, and gave them a drink.

Someone, maybe Dogdoc, bends down runners holding them with rocks and they will propagate along that runner giving free plantings. I have quite a few planted and that is my plan to do one day. I have them tubed and I know deer love to browse them. Someone on here also said bear love to destroy them. I hope that is not true.

Back