What's the point of buckwheat?

The more I read about cover crops, the more I see regenerative deer plotters being ahead of the game for the most part. It seems everything I've been instructed to plant by you folks, and Paul Knox before I knew any of you, is good for the soil and brings multiple nutrients to the surface to be used -- from brassicas, to rye, and now to buckwheat. And that's not even touching on the tremendous benefits of the staple of clovers and other legumes. I just wish I'd known much of this earlier, I did so much work in vain, and the majority of it wasn't good at all for the soil.
Don't beat yourself up. I was an apostle of the church of iron and chemistry at one point too. You might even say a bishop. I was getting into "build" schemes with P&K, applying micros, advanced herbicides, advanced soil testing, etc. The light didn't come on for me until I had hit max inputs and it turned out the worst results I'd ever seen (no crop, total stand of un-killable weeds, and water ponding).

I had to hit an embarrassing level of failure before I finally started questioning the science and digging the other direction.

I’m a bigger fan of buckwheat than Sturgis. It’s an easy broadcast into cereal and clover plots here in PA when rye browns. I plan to mix in some sorghum/milo with buckwheat this year. I’ve given up tillage and slowly eliminating spraying.

I’m a bigger fan of buckwheat than Sturgis. It’s an easy broadcast into cereal and clover plots here in PA when rye browns. I plan to mix in some sorghum/milo with buckwheat this year. I’ve given up tillage and slowly eliminating spraying.
You've gotten BW to come up through clover in a throw and mow when rye was dried off and done? That would have my interest if it is doable.

Sturgis uses buckwheat with his no-till method pre brassica and cereal grain plots. When fully grown the slender stalks allow seeds to contact the soil after broadcasting. He then crushes the buckwheat with a cultipacker, followed with 1 qt glyphosate/acre, where it will die and provide nutrients to the soil while also limiting weed growth.

Does anyone that plants buckwheat soak them before spreading? If you do how long do you soak them for? Can I plant in may? mix it with clover at that time to?

Does anyone that plants buckwheat soak them before spreading? If you do how long do you soak them for? Can I plant in may? mix it with clover at that time to?
Buckwheat grows like a weed. I wouldn't mess with soaking it. It doesn't like cold, so as long as the cold is past, you can plant it.

Back