What's eating my corn?

Looks normal to me. Are you peeling back the husks or are they already back?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
They are already pealed back, I'm not doing anything to the husks.

I haven't seen a crow or turkey all summer, but I did watch several doves fly into the patch this morning and with some thought I remember seeing quite a few doves going in or coming out of this patch lately. Could be the birds! I've watched doves hang upside down from sunflowers (like a parrot), wondering if they are doing the same to my corn? I'm seeing a lot of rabbits too but not necessarily IN the corn, just around it quite a bit. We had rain a couple of days ago, no deer or coon tracks in the patch as of this morning.

It does look like the bird damage in the article. How tall is the ear? Coons usually have to knock the whole plant over because they can't reach the ear and can't climb the stalk without breaking it.

The ag corn got attacked on my place as well. What I tend to see the corn that is torn or beat down typically is from coons or other climbing type critters. When the plant is standing and the husk is peeled back it tends to be from deer. The stalks are not strong enough to support the weight of an adult coon and thus they pull it down and typically take off with the entire ear. Deer will stand there and peel back the husk and eat the corn like a pop-sicle. You will see this once the corn silks - that portion becomes very soft and the like and the deer will walk down the rows and do everything from nip the ends off of the ears to strip the entire ear clean. I tend to see deer damage on the edge and down the rows.....coons tend to find a "pocket" and just have at it. I have areas seen areas where they do this from the size of a truck to the size of a 2 car garage.

Sounds like time for a nighttime sit with a spotlight and a 22.......for the coons.

It does look like the bird damage in the article. How tall is the ear? Coons usually have to knock the whole plant over because they can't reach the ear and can't climb the stalk without breaking it.

Most of the ears are probably between 1.5 and 3 feet.

I'm always up for a couple of watches with a .22 j-bird. If nothing else I'll probably have a good chance at taking out another turtlerat.

It's not much right now... an ear here and there that's been eaten. There's still plenty of corn still out there. How they were eaten and the lack of tracks just didn't make much sense to me, so I turned it over to you guys to tell me what's up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

It's not much right now... an ear here and there that's been eaten. There's still plenty of corn still out there. How they were eaten and the lack of tracks just didn't make much sense to me, so I turned it over to you guys to tell me what's up.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
I'm curious as well, the lack of tracks makes me think birds though

Back