What type of crab

jlane35

For some reason I can’t upload screenshot of what I would like to show, but here is the link, https://www.treepro.com/fruit-trees/.

The shade crab is the tree in question. Is this a gimmick? I can’t imagine a tree would do well without sunlight. But if it’s not a gimmick, what type of crab is this tree?

Last edited:
I followed the link to Tree Pro's site. It doesn't appear to be a named variety. Maybe they have found (or someone found) a variety that tolerates shade reasonably well. Every apple tree I've seen will grow better in full sun, but perhaps they found a variety that tolerates shade better than most. You could ask Tree Pro for clarification. Good luck.

Malus fusca and Malus angustifoliaMichx are two crabs that have been touted as being more shade tolerant than common. I have no experience with the first one, but the latter is very susceptible to juniper rusts and especially CAR.

Keep in mind that "shade tolerant" is a relative term and like "beauty" is can be defined in the "eyes of the beholder." I would be surprised to see any crabapple that could tolerate what I would consider a significant amount of shade and still fruit well, but I'm all ears. Maybe it is crossed with bush honeysuckle....;)

I'm foolish (eye of the beholder as well - lol) enough to waste some time and money to try it out this spring. N.H., I would agree that it would need some sun...maybe partial shade to develop fruit down the road.

Malus fusca and Malus angustifoliaMichx are two crabs that have been touted as being more shade tolerant than common. I have no experience with the first one, but the latter is very susceptible to juniper rusts and especially CAR.

Keep in mind that "shade tolerant" is a relative term and like "beauty" is can be defined in the "eyes of the beholder." I would be surprised to see any crabapple that could tolerate what I would consider a significant amount of shade and still fruit well, but I'm all ears. Maybe it is crossed with bush honeysuckle....;)
My bigger problem is trying to grow apples within proximity of black walnuts. I actually cut several 4-in diameter walnuts down to make room for the apples, but it will probably take several years for the juglone to degrade in the soil and make it palatable for the apple trees.

I knew you would know. Of course they aren’t going to say the root stock name bc then I could buy it somewhere cheaper. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Back