What to do with this pear tree…

cutman

Administrator
Staff member
What would you fruit tree experts advise me to do with this pear? I think I should cut the top off and let that new central leader take over - agree? When it fruits this year I’m afraid it will tip over if I do nothing…

0339FFBB-1816-4A6E-9F94-CAAA1564A7A2.jpeg

Cutman, I think your idea is good. My only concern is that anytime you make a cut that big, you take a chance that it may not heal over well. It likely will heal over eventually, but there is a chance of getting a cavity started before it completely heals. But, if it were mine, I would probably do what you are suggesting. I did that to one of my mom's apple trees a few years ago, and it worked out fine; however, that tree was not quite as large as your tree.

I will also mention that if you have a backhoe, you could dig up the tree (with a massive root ball) and straighten it. We successfully moved some fruit trees that big a few years ago, and all of them lived. If you did that, I would suggest some heavy bracing for a few years until the roots reestablish well, or you might end up with the problem repeated. You would also need to do it in the fall after it goes dormant.

Last edited:
Back